DVDVR Message Board

Which of these movies belongs in the 2014 Summer Blockbuster Pool?

S.K.o.S.

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these movies belongs in the 2014 Summer Blockbuster Pool?

• Million Dollar Arm (May 16; Sports drama; Jon Hamm, Bill Paxton)
    • The Fault in our Stars (Jun 6; Drama; Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort)
    • Jersey Boys (Jun 20; Musical; Christopher Walken, John Lloyd Young)
    • Think Like a Man Too (Jun 20; Comedy; Adam Brody, Michael Ealy)
    • Planes: Fire and Rescue (Jul 18; Animation; Dane Cook, Julie Bowen)
    • Sex Tape (Jul 25; Comedy; Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel)
    • Let's Be Cops (Aug 13; Action comedy; Jake Johnson, Damon Wayans Jr.)
    • The Giver (Aug 15; Fantasy drama; Jeff Bridges, Meryl Streep)

If you're new here, we run this pool where I put up a list of 20 movies coming out this summer, and people rank them based on predicted box office take and critical reception.

In the past, I've missed putting some movies on the list that should've been there (e.g. Bridesmaids) and put some movies on the list that should not have been there (e.g. My Life In Ruins).  So for the past few years, the selection of the borderline movies has been up to you.

I already have 18 movies selected.  I'm looking to fill the last 2 spots.  The top 2 vote-getters in this poll will be included in this year's pool. (EDIT: A Million Ways To Die In The West was way ahead in the poll, so I'm giving it one of the two spots.  We still need to fill the other spot.)

You basically want to vote for the movie that you think will end up having the most people talking about it.  Like, the kind of movie that if it wasn't on the list, we'd be thinking "Oh man, how did we miss that one?"

The Shailene Woodley one is probably going to make the most money, but no one is going to vote for it.

What he said.  Fault In Our Stars has potential to be another tween bonanza.

I picked Think Like A Man Too since Kevin Hart/Steve Harvey have the potential to make it a huge money earner

I would have thought the success of Ted (and how badly it fucked people up in their picks) would have made an Seth McFarland movie an automatic entry

I picked Think Like A Man Too since Kevin Hart/Steve Harvey have the potential to make it a huge money earner

I would have thought the success of Ted (and how badly it fucked people up in their picks) would have made an Seth McFarland movie an automatic entry

Ted turing out to be awesome and clever despite people's poor opinion of Seth's humor is what fucked us up. 

I still have faith that McFarland will blow this western comedy out of his ass and that faith will be betrayed by the box office.

I am not sold on Think Like A Man 2.  Steve Harvey is my homie and all and I love the guy, but the Kevin Hart miracle run cannot endure forever.  The Brand New Hotness should show up any day now.

I went with Think Like a Man Too because I figure it be an easy mid-to-bottom list entry for the box office list and bottom for the RT list. Wait was I suppose to pick a movie because I thought it actually had potential to do surprisingly great and completely ruin my list?

A Fault In Our Stars probably will do great reviews and word of mouth and respectfully at the box office. I read the book, I thought it was okay and see no reason to go see the movie. Personally I think his books are probably the least interesting thing that John Green does nowadays. That said he has a huge following and has the it-girl of the moment in it. But I don't know if there is any type of movie that is less of a sure thing than movies aimed at attracting teenagers.

It definitely got my attention when I saw it slated to be released, but I guess my thought process was that it's fairly different from Ted, and I'm not seeing anyone talking about it even though it's coming out pretty soon.

I am not sold on Think Like A Man 2.  Steve Harvey is my homie and all and I love the guy, but the Kevin Hart miracle run cannot endure forever.  The Brand New Hotness should show up any day now.

With Kevin, you could kinda tell he was going to be in a ton of movies since he was in one of those Scary Movies (and Soul Plane) before hitting it big. Plus, he had the one show on ABC that got cancelled and another make it to the upfronts. He was already all over the place before people even knew it. Dave Becky really put in the work to make sure he made it big.

Hannibal, from a comedy standpoint, probably would be next. However, his whole vibe goes against the standup-to-movies thing. He is in Neighbors, but I don't think that's going to blow him up.

If Kevin keeps doing the shoot three movies and then tour rinse-repeat, he is going to be around for a bit.

I wussed out and picked the Pixar flick, because we need more movies that'll fuck with our lists.

Planes is Disney, not Pixar. Pixar's 2014 flick is Inside Out. The first Planes movie only did 90 million in the US.

I picked The Fault in Our Stars. I think it'll be tween Oscarbait.

I voted The Giver. Never heard of most of the other stuff, and I still believe Ted did so well in spite of, not because of, Seth MacFarlane, so I don't think that western he's doing will do so hot. But The Giver will be a hit with the "anyone who had middle school English class" demographic.

I guess the ridiculous Sex Tape trailer hasn't been posted on this board yet?

Such a nonsensical premise. Who the fuck buys iPads for a hundred people, and has them all synced in to the same account? Such lazy writing.

Wow.  I thought you were, like, misinterpreting something until I actually watched it.

There are people who would believe this narrative...but they're, like, my mom.  "Oh, The cloud...that would happen if you do the cloud!" 

But I don't think this movie is supposed to be targeting 70-year-old midwestern white ladies.

I think I actually saw them smashing "the mainframe" so, we've learned nothing since THEN NET.

Also this stupid shitty movie has the laziest cliche punchline ever since THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY:  A family pet sent flying through the air and then jumping on someone's face.

Like, the same lady was in both movies...are we not supposed to notice this??????

And hey...jokes about SIRI!!!!  Like Jay Leno would do a couple of YEARS AGO.

I think I would watch the Jesus vs. College movie before this.

Movie adaptations of insanely popular musicals are really good fodder for this type of contest since they can go either way.

Stupid Rock of Ages boning me a couple of years ago.

If I had paid attention and saw that Jersey Boys was directed by Clint Eastwood - I think I would have thrown my vote that way