DVDVR Message Board

Ultimate Warrior 1959-2014

Some selfish part of me sees yet another piece of my childhood going away. Another group of memories that are tainted with the sad inevitability of death. The other part of me, the side that allows me to see the world beyond the end of my nose, remembers that the Warrior was a man with a family. He spent his last weekend on Earth with his wife, mother and daughters. He reconnected with old friends, he mended fences with those who he shared decades of animosity.

I don’t know what a good endgame is. I don’t know how a person dies and it hurts the people around them less. I don’t know a way that it all seems fair. But I do know that we rarely get an opportunity to be recognized, to put our affairs in order, and to make things right.

The Ultimate Warrior was a terribly complicated human being who lived a messy life that touched people. People said he was crazy, and yet just before he left this world, he pulled back the curtain to show that above all else he was a man with a family. For a man who in the height of his fame spoke of immortality and conversing with the Gods, his last act was all too human. Maybe that’s why his death touched me so much.

• Like 3

Sometimes - to be a bit selfish for a moment - it's okay when things happen that remind me that I don't occupy this "silly wrasslin forum" thing with a hundred soulless spambots, that deep down behind our sigs and avatars we are all relatively decent people scattered all over the mudball.

• Like 3

Deadspin has a pretty rough article up detailing Warrior's....less than stellar opinions on homosexuality, the city of New Orleans and other things. Might want to avoid it right now if you're feeling emotional about his death. It pulls no punches.

Deadspin has a pretty rough article up detailing Warrior's....less than stellar opinions on homosexuality, the city of New Orleans and other things. Might want to avoid it right now if you're feeling emotional about his death. It pulls no punches.

Lucky for me, I don't give a crap about what his politics were and the opinions of others and what their politics are.

Lucky for me, I don't give a crap about what his politics were and the opinions of others and what their politics are.

Uhhh....congrats?

Uhhh....congrats?

To Deadspin..  everyone is or was a terrible person and their lives shouldn't be celebrated. They are fishing for clicks and controversy sells. It's just like that idiot Cowerd today going off about how we shouldn't celebrate the deaths of these wrestlers arggh!!!

Cowherd is the trolliest troll that ever did troll.  It was painfully obvious that he was fishing for attention.  Poor thing.   He needs a hug, some milk, and a nap.  Don't let him get to you.  With that nose of his, I suspect he eats more boogers than a lot of wrestling fans.

You know, I'd absolutely enjoy a thread of transcribed Warrior promos. Fuck that; an e-book. That's why this era of information tech was invented. Someone should work on that.

Website with transcribed Warrior promos:

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=93&view=list&search=Ultimate+Warrior

Talking about Hulk Hogan's anti-bodies refusing the poison of the Warrior:

"Why, Hulk Hogan, can you not communicate with me, Hulk Hogan? Talk to me, Hulk Hogan. As you were talking to the GOD you speak of. Hulk Hogan... there is nothing powering that I live for, Hulk Hogan. I need not THE NORMALS to protect me from what I find most comforting: THE CHALLENGE OF PAIN! And the smell of combat, Hulk Hogan. I have, Hulk Hogan, injected you with the minimum dosage of poison from the POWER OF THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR! But the anti-bodies of Hulkamania CONTINUE to refuse what the poison can do. THEY TURN IT AWAY, Hulk Hogan. They turn the poison away for they feel the dirty, THEY FEAR the evil. Hulk Hogan, I am the representation of all you fear. I, Hulk Hogan, want you to be the warrior you say you are. For I can, as the Ultimate Warrior, accept no less, GIVE NO LESS to the warriors. Rock with me, Hulk Hogan, to the edge. Hulk Hogan, look into nothing. Look beyond your fears as you take that step, Hulk Hogan, and make the sacrifice so that the power of the ULTIMATE Warrior shall live."

so will Warrior's final warning to the young guys at the end of his HOF speech be wrestling's equivalent to Eisenhower's military-industrial complex speech at the end of his presidential term? "this is why things are fucked up and they'll keep going this way unless you recognize the problems and do something about it"? 

I could understand making a big deal out of Warrior's views if they contributed to making America more homophobic like with Jenny McCarthy and vaccines, but there's no evidence of that. In fact, the opposite is probably true.

"Yeah, we need more crowds that'll give a racist and homophobe like Warrior a hero's welcome while booing uppity minorities like Big E and Rey out of the building." -NintendoLogic in this week's Raw thread.

Not trying to be a cock, I'm honestly interested to know why his death made you do a 180 on his views.

Feel like Big E and Mysterio only got booed due to the crowd favoring their opponents, not because they're minorities. I mean Cena and Sheamus also got booed and although Sheamus is on that full fledged Irish time (much to FSW's dismay), they're not exactly minorities.

I could understand making a big deal out of Warrior's views if they contributed to making America more homophobic like with Jenny McCarthy and vaccines, but there's no evidence of that. In fact, the opposite is probably true.

"Yeah, we need more crowds that'll give a racist and homophobe like Warrior a hero's welcome while booing uppity minorities like Big E and Rey out of the building." -NintendoLogic in this week's Raw thread.

Not trying to be a cock, I'm honestly interested to know why his death made you do a 180 on his views.

I would rather not - especially in this thread.

I "enjoy" that everyone waited till I went to bed to start posting all the stuff that you really know you shouldn't be posting in this thread

So this is being closed before y'all go down a rabbit hole you aren't going to come out of.