DVDVR Message Board

Ultimate Warrior 1959-2014

while looking for any info that'd mention his father's cause of death just out of a curiosity if it was a heart disease death or whatever (his father died in 1996, Warrior (born in 1959) was his oldest son, so in all likelyhood he died relatively young [50s-60s] as well)... I didn't actually find that info but I did find..

1) Warrior's first RAW appearance (post-WM12) aired on April 8th, 1996, 18yrs before yesterday.

2) Warrior allegedly used his chiropractic skills to win over WWF coworkers who were unhappy over his push

But yeah.. can't imagine the use of steroids is going to be good for long term heart health, but it wouldn't stun me if there was also a slight bit of familial history as well. Eh, it's 1am and there's not much else to do, so yeah

Yeah, I'm with Fowler here. Generally immune to wrestlers dying far too young, but I think it's the fact that he was just put in the HOF at the weekend, and on Raw 36 hours ago which makes this one a surprise. Plus he was my favourite as a kid. I must have rented that Wrestlemania 6 VHS a dozen times.

RIP. No doubt one of the most iconic entrances, theme music, personalities ever. And like others have said WMVI perhaps made the biggest impression as a wrestling fan on my young mind. It really was so great to see him officially accepted into the WWE fold and giving inspirational speeches in front of millions in the last few days. Such a pity.  

I don't think I've been this sad about the death of a person I never met since, well, since I woke up and read that Randy Savage died. Even at 30 it's tough to accept that your childhood heroes aren't invincible.

• Like 6

I don't think I've been this sad about the death of a person I never met since, well, since I woke up and read that Randy Savage died. Even at 30 it's tough to accept that your childhood heroes aren't invincible.

I'm not nearly as shook up as I was with Savage. I do feel really bad for his family, especially after seeing how his wife reacted to him referencing her at the HOF the other night. There was just a ton of love there that came through, and he has kids, and that's always sad. With Warrior, he got to say goodbye, basically. He gave a speech the other night that, from reading two dozen insane warrior rants online in the 90s, whether they be about him potentially joining ECW or people e-mailing him about things or who knows what, you never thought in a million years he'd be able to give. It was smart and funny and touching and in a lot of weirdly surprising ways, right. 

Look, I'm not surprised when we lose a guy from the heavy heavy steroid era.

I was really surprised at that speech and I was impressed and that's going to be my last memory of Warrior. I had a Warrior wrestling buddy as a kid. I couldn't stand Hogan but there was something about Warrior's energy I could get behind even if it was only the illusion of dynamism. I think he was a much better worker than he gets credit for because he was really good at following direction in big matches and I'm the world's biggest Warrior/Andre apologist. He's one of my favorite guys ever to watch on the apron in tag matches. That's still true. 

It was a hell of a speech, the perfect goodbye, even if I know he seemed excited to be a brand ambassador or whatever, and it's 100% what we did NOT get when it came to Savage. It's everything we didn't get when it came to Savage. I think in some ways these last few days have made me sadder about Savage than they have about Warrior.

• Like 3

Jesus, I saw the news feed on GMA this morning and got sick to my stomach.  I just saw the guy on RAW two nights ago and he looked like the happiest man alive.

Sympathies to his family and his children.

I can't remember it but my mother said I was a Warrior fan when I was really young (first wrestler memory is Flair) I had a jumper and a Warrior toy so I must have been. Anyway,my heart really sank this morning when I was flicking through the sites and saw the news. I feel sad about it but it seems he had a blast at the HOF and even though it obviously wasnt a planned send off, it was a great one.

RIP

• Like 1

No one is really doing it here but please stay away from "OMG! I AM SAW HIM SWEATING! CLEARLY HE WAS HAVING KIDNEY FAILURE!!!!" stuff that I am seeing way too much of on the internet

You are not a doctor. You did not stay at a Holiday Inn

• Like 18

As a child of the 80's, I saw the rise and fall of Warrior. I was never a huge fan of his ring work or his promos but I dug what he was as an attraction. I enjoyed the energy he brought. When his music hit, it was like a bomb exploded in the arena. The pops he got rivaled the biggest reactions Hogan was getting. I saw him wrestle live at the Boise State Pavillion back when we used to get the occasional house show and he blew the roof off the place. May he rest in peace.

Ah fuck. Just saw this on CBC's website. This has made me kinda sad actually. He was easily my favourite wrestler as a kid. Remember running around the house/garden like a madman humming his theme song, and then shaking the imaginary ropes. I'll be doing that in tribute later today.

(I probably won't, but I really want to.)

• Like 1

I was a huge Warrior mark growing up. The day after WM 6, I faked being sick so I could stay home from school as I didn't want to find out who won between him and Hogan until the opening of Prime Time Wrestling that night. My friend called the house later that day and told my mom who then spoiled it for me. I was upset I found out that way, but super excited that Warrior won and my mind raced until I finally got to see the stills on PTW a few hours later.

I was so excited the first time I was going to get to see him live, as he was going to face Andre the Giant. Unfortunately, this was during the run where Warrior was squashing Andre in 30 seconds, so I only got to see him in a flash and then he was gone. I was upset that the first live glimpse of my favorite wrestler was so short, but still shocked that he beat Andre so quickly and thought it was awesome.

I still have an original Warrior poster as well as two of those silk screened sheet things, one in black the other in green, stashed away in my closet somewhere.

Glad we did get the "Goodbye" from his final appearances and he and Vince got closure on their issues before this happened. You gotta think that all the extra excitement and adreneline rush of the weekend, as well as the appearance on RAW, had something to do with speeding this up. So sad for the rest of his family.