DVDVR Message Board

Ultimate Warrior 1959-2014

He seemed kinda sweaty and off at the HOF, and seemed unsteady on Raw as he walked out, but I just assumed that was a 50-something year old wrestler who had abused his body and that was also emotional being kinda off, you know? Never did I imagine this.

Goddamnit, how bizarre and sad.

And I refuse to speculate until more comes out, but why are people quick to jump on a suicide possibility? Not criticizing anyone, I'm just genuinely curious why people have considered that conclusion.

I blame my professional background. Add to that ... well, Warrior had a rep for being a bit off (fuck the halo effect). Then, while there are moments like that "Ironic" song - winning the lottery, dying the next day, etc. - they're rare. The timing is just off.

That's just my take.

Edit: see also, the post below mine

And I refuse to speculate until more comes out, but why are people quick to jump on a suicide possibility?  Not criticizing anyone, I'm just genuinely curious why people have considered that conclusion. 

I'm guessing a combination of sudden death, and nobody having heard of severe health problems that would've caused him to pass all of a sudden?

EDIT:  Right, the whole "wrestling's a screwed up business" thing doesn't help

I'm at a complete loss right now.  I just got his blu-ray a week ago, he goes to the Hall of Fame, pours his heart out on Raw has a fun promo, things are looking great for him.

I'm praying for his family right now.  I really hope it wasn't suicide and a heart attack.

Unbelievable. Was so happy to finally see him back in the WWE family and get his induction to the hall of fame. So great when he ended his speech declaring the Warrior had finally become a legend. And the brand new DVD to do him right. Marked out for the Warrior all weekend and just last night and now he's gone.  Very sad, this sucks. RIP Warrior. the spirit of the Warrior forever.

I see everyone's answers, and I get it.  It's just a topic that hits close to home for me.  I lost my dad to suicide just over 3 years ago (which is a whole other conversation altogether), and know how sometimes there are warning signs and other times there are none.  I know we're all just jaded about wrestling to the point where we can assume the worst, I was just curious about the thought that went into it. 

I just keep thinking about his family and how he seemed to have made peace with WWE and how he was guy who seemed to be very secure and solid in his place in life and absolutely in love with his family.

I really want this to be something else.

Whatever happened, hey man, as long as it wasn't completely & utterly fucked up, he went out on top. Either it was natural or it was unfortunately tragic, so if the former, at least he had a chance at some great moments in his last few days, and if the latter, well, he's a selfish prick and sometimes our heroes are complete assholes ... do you stop looking up to people because of that?

From his promo on Raw last night:

"One day every man's heart beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath, and if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others, it makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him and make what the man did live forever"

• Like 11

I certainly don't want this to stray into "cinematic avatar" territory, but I feel gutted right now. I became a wrestling fan in 1990 as a 7 year old kid and Ultimate Warrior was what hooked me. I always hate to see these guys die, and I hate that his young girls lost their dad, and I hate that the wrestler who first captured my imagination as a kid is gone. Ugh...I was really hoping Hunter's twitter had been hacked or something.

Whatever happened, hey man, as long as it wasn't completely & utterly fucked up, he went out on top. Either it was natural or it was unfortunately tragic, so if the former, at least he had a chance at some great moments in his last few days, and if the latter, well, he's a selfish prick and sometimes our heroes are complete assholes ... do you stop looking up to people because of that?

Suicide doesn't make someone a selfish prick, if that's what you're saying, and, frankly, if suicide was the cause of this, it doesn't even come close to registering as one of the reasons to not have a guy like Warrior as your "hero."

You also get stupid comments like this on the WWE story: "First the STREAK and now WARRIOR... wow... just wow"

Something like thay came across my Twitter feed "first Punk leaves, then the Streak ends, and now this"

Wrestling fans seem to lack in perspective sometimes.

From his promo on Raw last night:

"One day every man's heart beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath, and if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others, it makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him and make what the man did live forever"

I couldn't help but smile after I read that and realized, "That's all just one sentence." Shine on, you crazy diamond.

• Like 9

Damn, I can honestly say I am in shock. I know when he did that 2K14 commercial last year he was limping badly so I assumed he had a really bad hip or something. Warrior seemed unusually subdued at the HOF and that promo on Monday Night. Man, what a way to go.

Suicide doesn't make someone a selfish prick, if that's what you're saying, and, frankly, if suicide was the cause of this, it doesn't even come close to registering as one of the reasons to not have a guy like Warrior as your "hero."

Seriously.  I won't even begin to speculate until we hear what the cause was, but if for some odd reason it turns out to be that, then anyone with that opinion can kindly fuck off. 

But again, we're jumping the gun here.  It could be any one of a million things.  Let the news come out.

• Like 1

Sigh ... no, I get that. Trust me, in ways far more than you know. But sometimes, people have harsh views of the world and that in some way helps them cope. So, say he committed suicide ... a wife and children grieve his passing, and so the suicide accomplished what, exactly? But, like I said (or tried to imply, unsuccessfully it seems), he was still his family's hero, hero to a lot of us in our childhoods, and if he felt that he had to "go out on a high note" ... then it's equally okay to be pissed at him for those decisions. Just don't stop seeking people to admire.