DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 39: Nogueira vs. Nelson (4/11/2014) - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (du Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Abu_Dhabi_Nogueira_vs._N

UFC Fight Night 39: Nogueira vs. Nelson

April 11, 2014

Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (du Arena)

Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (238) vs. Roy Nelson (255.5) - Nelson, KO (punch), R1 (3:37)

Clay Guida (146) vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri (145) - Guida, DEC (unanimous)

John Howard (171) vs. Ryan LaFlare (171) - LaFlare, DEC (unanimous)

Ramsey Nijem (156) vs. Beneil Dariush (155) - Nijem, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:20)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Jared Rosholt (240) vs. Daniel Omielańczuk (246) - Rosholt, DEC (unanimous)

Thales Leites (185) vs. Trevor Smith (186) - Leites, TKO (punches), R1 (0:45)

Alan Omer (146) vs. Jim Alers (145.5) - Alers, DEC (split)

Rani Yahya (135.5) vs. Johnny Bedford (135) - No Contest (accidental clash of heads)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Ramsey Nijem

Performance of the Night: Roy Nelson

Fight of the Night: Clay Guida vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri

Attendance: 7,963

Gate: $1,860,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Alptekin Özkiliç vs. Dustin Ortiz - Injury to Özkiliç

Chris Camozzi vs. Andrew Craig - Illness to Craig (Tonsillitis)

Bad. Stiff Legs, and this is after getting concussed probably twice before. 

How bad a beating was it?

Bad.  Last shot had him flat on his back, arms stiff.

Cheers guys.

EDIT: Just seen the GIF Elsalvajelco posted. Fuck.

Nogueira should've retired after the Herman win in Brazil.  Some guys just can't give it up.  Fighting and winning is an addiction for them and they will do almost anything to feel the thrill of winning again.  

UFC really need to make Nogueira retire now.  Offer him a Hall of Fame spot.  No reason for him to continue fighting anymore.  He's never going to be a contender again.

Nogueira should've retired after the Herman win in Brazil.  Some guys just can't give it up.  Fighting and winning is an addiction for them and they will do almost anything to feel the thrill of winning again.  

UFC really need to make Nogueira retire now.  Offer him a Hall of Fame spot.  No reason for him to continue fighting anymore.  He's never going to be a contender again.

I was going to say Big Nog should have retired after the Herman win in Brazil or earlier still with the Schaub win in Brazil. If Nogueira retired on the latter, he wouldn't have got tapped out by Mir and Werdum, he would have avoided this one as well.

His mind is willing, but his body won't let him do it anymore. All the technical errors (not gauging distance, backing up in straight line, not parrying, etc) in his striking that he got away with 5-10 years ago is stuff that will get you KOed quickly as evidenced with the fight and result you just saw. As much as it is a Brazilian thing to rally around an older fighter, it's time for Luiz Dorea to tell Minotauro to step away from the sport. He would mean a lot more as an ambassador to the sport in Brazil than he would fighting in Brazil.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

As much as I love Big Nog and I think he should retire, he'll probably fight 3 or 4 more times.

I thought Mir breaking his arm was the last time we'd see him fighting, but he opted to continue fighting and at this point in his career, I highly doubt we'll see him hanging them up for at least 2 or 3 more years.

Sadly some guys like him just never seem to understand when their bodies have had enough punishment inflicted on them.

Guest Edwin

I just noticed Elsalvaje posted pretty much the exact same thing I did in my previous post, but in a more educated way, so read his and ignore mine.

I'm sure Big Nog is among those fighters who the UFC will use somehow after he hangs them up.