DVDVR Message Board

Raw 7-22-13

MGFanJay

I'm going in expecting match of the year for Cena and Bryan. First time I have felt it to be a virtual lock since Cena Punk MITB. Cena is great selling a beating from a monster. He also is really good as the bully. The matches with the Nexus guys were a great examples of this though he did take the physicality too far sometimes. There is a good chance that will happen here as well as both guys are going to obviously go all out. The layout of Brock vs Punk and Bryan vs Cena could end up very similar. I'll be shocked if Punk and Brock out work Cena and Bryan.

It's weird when WWE gives us epic shit like Dragon-Cessaro. If it was a ROH match I'd expect it, but I was waiting for the flash pin or tap like this is taking FOREVER! Then realized they were going all out & got into the match.

Don't get the da finish tho. Could've swore Ryback was made to look like a bitch & a chickenshit heel in the last couple of weeks. He could've & should've tapped.

When John Cena finally hangs up his boots, I'm curious what his legacy is going to be like, to internet fans. I feel like he is underrated by a lot of people while he's on top but when it's all over people will look back at his run & appreciate it a lot more. Maybe not here on DVDVR specifically as I think more people around here dig him.

I dozed off with the TV on, woke up and Bryan is checking Cesaro with the stiffest elbows I've seen in WWE history. Then he gets thrown in the air and rolls into a fucking SMALL PACKAGE for a pinfall... I about lost it, I've never seen that ever. And then he eats a powerbomb on the floor and one through a table. Woke me up in a hurry... I might need to buy a DVR if my job is preventing me from watching replays on Mun2 now.

I missed Smackdown so one thing I took note of on RAW I was really happy to see. Mark Henry didn't come out smiling. Finally a babyface turn without the entrance pandering. A few cheap pops in the interview, that is fine. Mark Henry doesn't need to be kissing babies and hugging fat chicks though to steal a line from Batista.

I'm oddly not very interested in Punk/Brock. I just don't get Brock's purpose as a WWE wrestler. To just show up and challenge dudes who don't have a belt? It's a fun sideshow attraction, but for me it's not interesting until Brock is in the ring wrestling. Maybe it's because I don't watch consistently, but what is the motivation behind Brock being in the WWE now? Is it just to fuck people up, does he want to be the champ and shit on the WWE? I don't know.

Brock's motivation is to teleport from his self-imposed exile in the forest whenever his Brock-sense goes off and he must protect his BEST AND ONLY FRIEND IN THE UNIVERSE Paul Heyman. Also...to hurt people. These are both great motivations.

Also, I'm amazed and stupefied at how WWE can get everything so right with Cesaro and Bryan, but then fuck things up so royally when it comes to making Ziggler look good. I mean, Ziggler sold for like 99% of that match against DARREN YOUNG.I know selling is his strong point...but Jesus Christ, that's not the way to make someone look like a star and future world champion. He should be dominating the fuckin jobbers on the roster, at least.Now, that Cesaro/Bryan match...THAT is how you make someone look like a star. Those uppercuts were pure sex.

Also, I'm amazed and stupefied at how WWE can get everything so right with Cesaro and Bryan, but then fuck things up so royally when it comes to making Ziggler look good. I mean, Ziggler sold for like 99% of that match against DARREN YOUNG.I know selling is his strong point...but Jesus Christ, that's not the way to make someone look like a star and future world champion. He should be dominating the fuckin jobbers on the roster, at least.

I think they are trying to get Dolph over with his constant escape from the heel trying to beat him up after the match. Basically Dolph is Tweety Bird and Big E Langston is Sylvester. This is all leading to Dolph getting a training montage of him learning from Hornswaggle, who has previously shown the ability to escape from Carlito through vinyl holes in the wall. We can only hope for Piranesi's sake that it eventually leads to Dolph fooling a bamboozled and smitten Dean Ambrose by dressing up like the Chiquita banana lady. 

He will then job the US title to Kofi. 

• Like 5

After watching last night's show (and holy shit DAT MATCH), I just think there is NO outcome but Cena beats Bryan in a grueling affair.  Puts over Cena more.  They've very obviously been building the Super Cena train even bigger in 2013.  Everyone's been built to be fed to him.  

That being said, the dream is Corporate Cena.  I am telling you, the money is in him going corporate, bragging about how much merch he sells, about arena he sells out, push IF he gets rating spikes on TV (does he?  not sure),a ll the money he's made, the movies, etc, etc.  THAT is how you do heel Cena.  Get him right away from the merch, the kids, the goofy mannerisms and gear.   Feed him some lifers who can talk about their lifetime spent in the WWE, how they busted their balls.  Keep the You can't see me shuffle as a heel/mock spot.  Them whoever it is that finally gets over on him is the one to counter that damned move.   Daniel Bryan is obviously that guy right now, but who knows who might appear.  Pure wrestler, built his business on hard work, determination and skill, fans shower him in praise because of that.

SUPER CORPORATE SELL OUT HEEL vs HARD WORKING MAN is the world we live in.  Who doesn't want to see the good guy come out on top there?

WWE has been on an absolute tear with matches this year. Punk/Cena near the top of the year, the myriad of all the Shield matches, Dolph/Del Rio (which was amazing for such a short match), Jericho/RVD (I know but...) etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others.The character work has been awesome, too. Most of the stars from the last era -- Cena, Orton, Jericho and Sheamus -- have been snoozes. But starting with Punk's debut and working your way down the card from there, the personalities and in-ring work from those guys have been terrific. I mean, they couldn't even fit in The Wyatt Family last night since they had a bunch of other stuff to get too.It's six pages and there's only been a little chatter on Sandow doing commentary last night. He was caps-lock EXCELLENT. He's such a hilarious pretentious snob. "I taught him that, too, Michael!" Cody has nice offense for a babyface, too, even though he almost died because Fandango barely caught him on the moonsault. I'm really looking forward to that match. 

I'm pretty sure they want Cena to get close to Punk's record, since they keep mentioning that. Punk trying to beat Cena right before he breaks it writes itself already. There's also enough lag-time between their past few feuds that it won't seem stale at all. Plus, those guys can put up a ****+ match in their sleep at this point.The Punk/Cena Record Match in Chicago... that's all to dream about.

So he's just a really good friend? That's kind of sweet.

Don't you get that Punk/Heyman is all about Heyman telling the truth for the first time in his life and Punk spurning his love?

Look, you're not getting this. Let me use a picture to help you.

Posted Image

Here comes the pain.

• Like 3

Maybe I missed it, but did they explain why exactly A-Ry was with Brad Maddox?

Nope. He just was there. I'm willing to bet some producer was walking around the halls and said "YOU...YEAH, YOU COME HERE". It was either that or they drew his name out of a hat.