DVDVR Message Board

Raw 7-22-13

MGFanJay

Bryan and Cesaro are easily the best two in ring guys in the States at this point and they showed it tonight.  I thought Sheamus did an admirable job working the injury angle around a Del Rio that was working really light at times.  I also really enjoyed Titus tonight.  I love Mark Henry but that segment tonight felt flat as fuck.  Still Bryan v. The World was great fun to close the show.

The Heyman-Punk stuff was outstanding.

It was a little long, and probably didn't actually need the Heyman part.  It was just a good old school promo that was all emotion and no irony.

They've succeeded in bringing the Heyman/Punk relationship and story fully into the WWE universe by now so it doesn't have to go outside of story to insidery business references. It can just be based on what people remember from the last year or so.

And none of this "I'm doing this for the WWE universe" stuff.  The same thing is working for Bryan.  You don't need to be the champion of the people if the storyline itself is solid.  It can be personal if you can carry it off.

I hated Punk saying that the UFC title might have been Brock's biggest accomplishment or whatever the fuck he said.  Other than that I thought it was decent for a promo to build to a match where one guy wasn't there and may not be for weeks

Damn I wish Cesaro can find a gimmick/character that can vault him to the top of the card, as he is clearly that level in the ring. God knows what that will be, and maybe it's not meant to happen. but if nothing else he will be a tremendously valuable guy in the mid-card/upper mid-card for years to come.

• Like 1

Getting hard to argue those 2 aren't the best on the planet.

So many moves seemed like they came out of nowhere.  That really is the difference between this and every other match.  You could not predict waht they were going to do based on what the had been doing, or what it looked like they were about to do. 

Even the announcers were guessing from moment to moment.  When they were on the top rope and Lawler said "This is dangerous."  He wasn't selling that, he was feeling it.  You could hear it in his voice.  He had no idea where that sequence was going.

• Like 1

I'm normally not "the I hate Cena guy"...but I hope Bryan calls him on finding a way to make the payoff of Ryback taking advantage of Daniel Bryan and putting him through a table to be RYBACK...VS.....JOHN

CENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in a TABLES MATCH!!!!!!!

If Bryan uses that to go a little heel on on Cena next week, fine.  If not...then fuck Hulk Hogan.  Bryan isn't anybodies lil' buddy.

No Tugboat!

Driving back from Austin form Raw...

Del Rio vs. Sheamus was fun live and Alberto didn't look like he was working light live.

The next 90 minutes after that kind of sucked live but it picked up with the Punk promo & Bryan Daniel show.

The Cesaro-Daniel match was a legit MOTYC.

Ryback killed the crowd until the nasty powerbomb ending.

Bummed no Bray Wyatt appearances.

Oh and I forgot... My heart don't pump Kool Aid!

The segment where Cesaro just kept uppercutting Bryan reminded me of the Kobashi vs. Samoa Joe segment where Kobashi chops Joe 2,500 times.

Did it bother anyone else that the ending was basically "yeah, sure, Bryan can beat three guys, but let's quit pussing around and make him fight Kane"? Saying fighting three guys is a warmup to fighting one is flattering to the one guy, I guess, but does the three no favors.

You might kayfabe that Vince wants to undercut Bryan's popularity, and he thinks having him beat Kane will make him a heel.

That stuff with Vince works so much better with Maddox than with most of the other GM's they've had.  Those opening segments were so much better with a heel GM that can get heat without shrieking.  When Cena called him a name, and he replied with a wink and a bang-bang gesture...good stuff.

• Like 1

The segment where Cesaro just kept uppercutting Bryan reminded me of the Kobashi vs. Samoa Joe segment where Kobashi chops Joe 2,500 times.

Did it bother anyone else that the ending was basically "yeah, sure, Bryan can beat three guys, but let's quit pussing around and make him fight Kane"? Saying fighting three guys is a warmup to fighting one is flattering to the one guy, I guess, but does the three no favors.

I took that to mean that fighting Kane is more an emotional battle. It's one thing to fight three dudes you have no beef with other than they're in your way. It's another one entirely to fight your friend, even in a partnership as tense as theirs was.

I think it was an attempt to get a "BUT THEY'RE FRIENDS!" kind of heat. Even though the team has been broken up for weeks and the whole base of the gimmick was that they hated each other. It didn't feel like Kane was the final boss because he was better than those three combined, there's just more story behind that particular match.

Liked Alberto/Sheamus a lot especially the smart finish. Bryan/Cesaro was incredible. Awesome seeing them get so much time in a near main event spot. So many amazing spots and sequences. Cesaro's uppercut rush and then flipping Bryan with the short arm lariat ruled. Unbelievably good finish too. Definitely high up there on my fav matches of the year list. Also that divas Miz TV segment was really bizarre with Eva Marie's apparent random heel turn.

What a weird fucking way to end the awesome Daniel Bryan segment by having him go 10:00 with Ryback who is ice cold right now.

Rest of the show was pretty good, although strange to see the Prime Time Players get two matches and odd that Shield and AJ were barely used and Orton, Big Show, Wyatts werent used at all.

Bryan vs. Cessaro was great, as is Bryan's continued push.

I think that was the first time a "You can't wrestle" chant was aimed at Ryback, and it wasn't even by the smarky northeast fans. Ryback seemed to take it in stride, though.

Where was Big Show? They advertised him. I was waiting for him to come out to fight Bryan near the end, given Maddox making a big deal out of the final opponent.

No Wyatt family was unfortunate, but I'm sure they'll be given good time next week considering Kane is back.

Not sure how WWE can keep interest going for Punk/Lesnar until SummerSlam at this point. Heyman needs more Guys in his stable that Punk has to fight to get to final boss Lesnar and Heyman himself.

Daniel Bryan running the gauntlet is the best one I've seen. The first match against Jack Swagger was very good. The second against Antonio Cesaro was terrific, best TV match this year and a Match of the Year candidate. The third match against Ryback was Ryback's best ever match which was formerly against one Daniel Bryan. Daniel Bryan's excellent, the Best in the World. What a streak he's on.