DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

The Undertaker vs. Bray Wyatt could be an entertaining feud. Just have Taker reform The Ministry of Darkness to feud with The Wyatt Family. 

Hell, you could keep Taker out of the ring and just have he and Bray cut promos on each other before letting their minions fight. 

Some random thoughts from my live experience:

- I am 40 years old and have been watching wrestling since I was 5.  I grew up hating the Hulk Hogan character.  Standing there listening to Real American blast, the crowd going wild and watching Hogan at a Wrestlemania got me a little choked up.  Quite the throwback.

- The moment the Undertaker lost was one of the most surreal things I've ever experienced and I will never forget it.  I was sitting in the friends and family section (I paid - I am neither friend nor family) and even the VIPs were stunned.  In fact, one of the family members turned back to a woman who worked for WWE (she was in the office, from what I gathered) and asked her if she knew that was going to happen and even she couldn't get up the words to respond right away.  I know I stood there gap jawed for a while thinking to myself, "How do they get out of this?" not wanting to believe it happened.  Not many forms of entertainment can truly shock me like that and looking back on it now I am grateful to have been there to experience it live.  It was an outstanding moment entertainment-wise.

- Loved Daniel Bryan vs. HHH.  Thought it was a great match and story.  

- I was two rows behind Connor The Crusher (

).  Several members of the crew, announcers, wrestlers, etc stopped to say hi to him.  One crew member even came back and asked to have his picture taken with Connor.  John Cena gave him a fist bump after his match and Daniel Bryan shared a hug.  John Cena's mother was very nice to him as well.  For all of the grief that the WWE gets from fans and from the mainstream, the things they do for children is nothing short of inspiring.  

- I spent the large majority of my non WWE event time in New Orleans playing blackjack.  The dealers I talked to generally had a decent opinion of wrestling fans, which I was glad to hear.However, i will say that many of the other fans I played with should have taken the time to learn basic strategy for their own good.

- Really felt sorry for the divas.  There was nothing they could have done to get the fans to care.

- So much confetti!!!!!!!

- When Stephanie was in the ring before the HHH match and the lights were down while they were showing the video package, she was smiling and waving to her kids.  The lights came back on right before the package ended and she was still waving.  She got this great "Oops" look on her face, smiled one last time at the kids, and then turned to the camera with her awesome mean girl face.  Neat little moment.

- Overall, I thought Mania was great this year.  Good matches, Daniel Bryan having his moment, getting to see Hogan at a Wrestlemania, the shock value of the streak ending, and so much more to enjoy.  Two months ago I was pretty close to selling my ticket and cancelling the trip, but I got so hyped for it that I ended up upgrading my seat and enjoying the heck out of myself.

• Like 4

Cracked up this morning picturing the Benoit/Cesaro contrast vs Show in battle royales.

Benoit: "MUST SACRIFICE MY BODY, USE THE ROPES AND HIS OWN WEIGHT AGAINST HIM AND LET GRAVITY DO THE REST!"

Cesaro: "Fuck it, I'm giving him a body slam."

• Like 4

Resisting the urge to make joke about T-Rex arms....

Glad they figured out that 70,000 people doing the "Yes!" chant was the right way to finish WM, and didn't send anyone out to steal his spotlight.

HHH/Bryan was very good, but I think Bryan has had a couple better matches already (vs. Bray and Orton). It was kind of surreal to see HHH shoehorned into a very "Daniel Bryan" style match, but he did a great job fitting in. Some of the WM 20 callbacks were kind of weird. Like I know that they wanted to redo the ending to that show without you know who, but I'm not sure why they felt like they needed to include such direct imagery by using the crossface, rolling germans, etc. They could have replaced the crossfaces with a fujiwara armbar and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference (and don't bother pointing out one works the elbow and one works the shoulder, armbars hurt every part of the arm in pro wrestling). Those spots, especially the crossface roll through that Benoit used to make HHH tap at 20, were kind of jarring but they worked in the context of the match I guess. There were lots of other really good spots here too, like the crossface chickenwing being established to create a logical transition into the tiger suplex, the hammer lock belly to back on the apron, and the struggle for the second pedigree. It felt like HHH watched a handful of Misawa matches and WM 20 to figure out how he was gonna work this one. Bryan was Bryan with all his fire, innovative sequences, and bumps not many guys would be willing to take, pretty much his usual great self.

I'm still surprised that we didn't see any of HHH's regular moves like the running neckbreaker, running knee or the knee facebuster that he has done in absolutely every match of his career.

Strong MOTYC in my opinion, loved the strong style they used, HH was great, Bryan was great, everything clicked perfectly.

• Like 1

The worst thing on this show was the referee in the Cena/Wyatt match turning into Cena's shrink when he grabbed the steel chair, rather than actually doing his job and either pulling the chair out of Cena's hand, or warning him that he would be disqualified.

HHH was using the crossface for a couple of years after Benoit's death for whatever reason, it's in his irregular armoury at least and made sense for him to go for it. I see the point but I didn't feel like the comparisons were palpable or took anyone watching out of the match.

There's something I'm obviously missing about shield/wyatts, I can appreciate 'guys want to kick each others' asses' but it's a bit thin for a motd contender as a story. I found the ending drawn out and a bit melodramatic as well - them making a massive deal of Reigns getting pinned came at the expense of the match. It felt like Bray was kissing him for about 5 minutes...

• Like 1

Not read through the entire thread so I dunno if anyone else would concur, but Wyatt/Cena and Lesnar/Taker were really good on re-watch as opposed to seeing it live in the arena, when I was quite far in to the cheap seats (well, cheap-ish) and trying to not look at the big screen as much as possible. Wyatt vs Cena was the better of the two, but I really dug both, and given my improved opinion of those two matches, I'm starting to think that this is my favourite Mania of all time. Would have to watch X7 again, but XXX was pretty damn awesome.

• Like 1

My friends think I'm nuts but with a rewatch I thought Lesnar/Taker was pretty good. You can tell Taker isn't quite there, and he has no power (sandbagging Lesnar completely on the German suplexes) but it really wasn't a bad match. On the first go round I think the glacial pace led to everyone watching with me shitting on it. Combine that with thinking the finish is a foregone conclusion...so oddly enough I bought the nearfalls more on the second viewing.

One thing I think hasn't been mentioned - it was a majority position that there'd be a fuck finish to make the main event a four-way, it was a great surprise that Bryan went over the King of self-preservation booking first and then over a shitload of overbooking in the end. I mean it was pretty ridiculous how far they went to put him over, we've never seen anything quite like it, but in the context of the last 8 months it felt appropriate and 'earned' for them to go that way.

EDIT: I did actually have a point here, which was that the situation and H's history gave everything a massive added suspense in that I genuinely didn't believe they'd pull the trigger until it was over. I totally bought Batista pinning Orton off the knee, for instance. I daresay people are retconning when they say Bryan going over was obvious

• Like 1

As promised, here are all of the Wrestling with Rosenbergs from the WrestleMania XXX season. All files have been taken from the YouTube page and converted into .MP3s. I used "Listen To Youtube" to convert these files. Enjoy.

Here are 3 links in case 1 of them dies.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4a5wz5

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tbr76l

http://www.sendspace.com/file/aek732

Christ that guy is a douche. He pretty much ruined the cheap heat podcast for me as he talks all over the guy I want to listen to. I watched his Emma interview from 'mania as I'd never seen or read anything with her before and it was a masterclass in poor journalism and general ass-hattery. 'I had no idea you were Australian, I'm not up on NXT so you know...' ignoring that she's talked on Raw and Smackdown and 'Of everyone I've ever interviewed I've never met anyone less like their on screen character than you'