DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

It was damn decent of whoever booked the battle royal to let Fandango get a little shine after comparing the "Yes movement" to "fandangoing" in regard to how quickly fads go by. I admire Johnny Curtis for getting to be such an unabashed scumbag on both WWE TV and Total Divas. 

Not enough love for Spy Vs Spy Vs Spy backing up Mark Crozer on the Wyatts' entrance.

The booking of Cesaro was so beautifully underplayed. He was never even announced for the battle royale, just went out there with the rest of the geeks, and just stayed and stayed and stayed. Right at the final 8-9 it struck me that Show going over was a little too obvious, but they weren't going to give it to Cesaro were they OH FUCK THEY DID IT.

Vince must've finally sold his soul last night because the live feed worked like a dream. Couple of minor hits at the very start and I was probably a minute or so behind the proceedings, but it could've been ALOT worse under the circumstances, especially compared to all the problems I had during the NXT special. I'd like to see how much traffic they had.

So what was everyone else's reaction to the streak ending? I went goo-goo eyed and whistled for it...

1509878_10202044488701669_1996834975_n.j

Way to go Cesaro. So happy to see this guy get such a big moment. I loved Claudio and the Kings of Wrestling in ROH so much and I always thought they were so talented and had so much potential. I remember getting to see the KOW live and at an ROH event in LA, and even though it was a tiny crowd, they just kind of made it feel like it was like 100 times that size. He's adjusted really well and come into his own.

Dunno if this got mentioned and I missed it or haven't seen it yet, but ...

Cole: "It took 5 officials to lift [the Andre trophy] and carry it to the ring."

(See above.)

I also feel like the only way the opening match entrances could've been more hilariously incongruous is if Bryan had been just waiting in the ring while HHH did all his "grrrepicConan" nonsense a la Drago in Rocky IV. That was a really great nod to how seriously Authority HHH takes himself and his legacy...

While I was overly enthusiastic about the result of the Cena/Wyatt match, I did really like the story it told.  I really like after the match when he rolled out of the ring to hug one of his fans, as if to say "See?  I do what I do for you. Hustle, Loyalty and Respect always triumphs over evil.".

• Like 1

I also feel like the only way the opening match entrances could've been more hilariously incongruous is if Bryan had been just waiting in the ring while HHH did all his "grrrepicConan" nonsense a la Drago in Rocky IV. That was a really great nod to how seriously Authority HHH takes himself and his legacy...

If they hadn't already done it with #OccupyRAW, a crapload of Yes Movement fans lining the ramp and leading the chant would have made for a great entrance. I kind of liked the ridiculous disparity between the two, though.

If they hadn't already done it with #OccupyRAW, a crapload of Yes Movement fans lining the ramp and leading the chant would have made for a great entrance. I kind of liked the ridiculous disparity between the two, though.

Yeah, I was hoping they'd get a symphony orchestra to play "Ride of the Valkyries" while Bryan came to the ring. Not to be, I guess. Had to have that dude sing in Randy Orton. BTW, that guy singing Orton's theme is a composite of every male Randy Orton fan I've ever seen at a bar or live event. All he was missing was the house arrest ankle bracelet and the anorexic baby's mama...

Watching Taker/Brock again with fresh/non sleepy eyes and its a better match than on first viewing,it suffers a bit because the crowd aren't in to it as much as the crowds for the Punk,HBK,HHH matches were but its actually a decent match I think.

Taker looked out of it after the leg sweep on the outside and looked physically drained throughout the match. Its basically a squash match with a few hope spots for Taker thrown in here and there.

Crowd doesn't budge for the first F5 probably because they thought that no way Brock wins and thats what makes his victory even better. Its complete and utter shock.

Heyman was gold.

Cole calls Taker the "greatest performer in WM history" at the start and then calls Brock the same thing when he wins which was a nice touch.

In summary I think if the crowd was hotter, this match would get better feedback but that ending wakes them the fuck up. I will never forget watching the air just get sucked out of the building. Epic.

I may catch hell for this, but I mentioned last night amongst friends that Cena/Wyatt was probably the strangest, most "cinematic" match I'd enjoyed in a while. It was like HHH/Taker WM 28 lite. There were moments when the shitty camera work was in their favor; Cena's Five Knuckle Freakout then the shot of Spider Wyatt was Franklin's death in Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I dunno; there were lots of things I liked about it, but some I can't necessarily put into words. Cena seemed to exude more humanity than his heretofore established "Super Cena" character has before.

I was want to watch that match again. It was quite an interesting one.

I'm rewatching the show today because we had some Network issues during the show (totally our fault though since we weren't smart enough to realize we had the PS3 on when streaming it from the laptop) but my intiial reactions were positive. The opener was great and probably my match of the night.

I watched it with a small group where I was the only one who watches week to week. There were three fans who watched during the 80s/90s and Attitude Era and two complete non-fans. By the end of the night everyone had been drawn in. The two non-fans were into the Battle Royale and the Divas match (as well as Daniel Bryan and his boots). The 'Taker/Brock match got everyone worked up and everyone was buying into the nearfalls at the end of the main event.

Odd trivia but I noticed everybody who got an elaborate entrance last night ended up losing. Taker, Orton, Bray, and HHH all got "star" entrances while their opponents got their plain old normal entrance yet went over.

I may catch hell for this, but I mentioned last night amongst friends that Cena/Wyatt was probably the strangest, most "cinematic" match I'd enjoyed in a while. It was like HHH/Taker WM 28 lite. There were moments when the shitty camera work was in their favor; Cena's Five Knuckle Freakout then the shot of Spider Wyatt was Franklin's death in Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I dunno; there were lots of things I liked about it, but some I can't necessarily put into words. Cena seemed to exude more humanity than his heretofore established "Super Cena" character has before.

I loved the story.  People have touched on this already, but what was missing was some kind of... transition point for Cena, or something.  We know Bray is trying to bring out the crazy side of Cena through intimidation - so Bray can win by traditional means, or he can "win" by making Cena do something that alienates his fanbase to win the match.  At the start, Cena can only go on offense when he goes crazy heelish.  And (I think) he initially attacks Rowan and Harper not because they actually did something to him, but because he's afraid of them.  But at the end, he wins with his usual offense.  Which is fine, but how did we get from point A to point B there?  Was it supposed to be when he put down the stairs or refused to use the chair?  Whatever that moment was, it needed to stand out more.

Also, they talk about Mania having "something for everyone".  I think you're on point with the Taker match comparison.  This was supposed to be the "epic story match" that the Taker match has filled for the last few years.  Bryan vs. HHH was the workrate match.

My son watched Wrestlemania with me last night. Two notes:

1. He said "HEY THAT WAS A TIGER SUPLEX". He's six.

2. He also said "Daniel Bryan won because no matter how hard it got he never gave up." So we can retire Cena now.

• Like 6

Sometimes I think a bunch of 12 year old kids own WWE stock. I wake up today and the stock has dropped 5 dollars? Damnit Lesnar! Taker/Lesnar ended the way it should have ended. I haven't heard an arena that quiet since an un-over Sheamus defeateed John Cena in a TLC match to win his first WWE title. People talk about their mania moments and this was definitely one. People may forget the Bryan angle 10  years from now, but WM 30 will always be remembered for when the streak ended. A very good show from top-to-bottom (minus the Divas match).

I get what you're saying, but it took 3 F5s, and the first was mainly used as a transition and the second as just a babyface hope spot cut off. I'm not sure if I'd call that "protecting," even by weird WWE Main Event logic. 

And I will add that last night really showed a problem with WWE Main Event logic in context of an overall show. First match the Pedigree gets kicked out of. Bray kicked out of the AA and Cena kicked out of Sister Abigail. By the time Lesnar nails his first F5 no one is buying these moments as nearfalls and the kickouts mean less. 

I think the fact nobody thought Brock had a chance in hell of winning hurt the nearfalls in the Taker match more than kicking out of finishers earlier in the show. Also, the match wasn't that good and the crowd wasn't into it so it is hard to turn it up at that point. The last match had finisher kickouts and it worked just fine. It was the match, not the style. 

He used the chinlock!

I loved the story.  People have touched on this already, but what was missing was some kind of... transition point for Cena, or something.  We know Bray is trying to bring out the crazy side of Cena through intimidation - so Bray can win by traditional means, or he can "win" by making Cena do something that alienates his fanbase to win the match.  At the start, Cena can only go on offense when he goes crazy heelish.  And (I think) he initially attacks Rowan and Harper not because they actually did something to him, but because he's afraid of them.  But at the end, he wins with his usual offense.  Which is fine, but how did we get from point A to point B there?  Was it supposed to be when he put down the stairs or refused to use the chair?  Whatever that moment was, it needed to stand out more.

Also, they talk about Mania having "something for everyone".  I think you're on point with the Taker match comparison.  This was supposed to be the "epic story match" that the Taker match has filled for the last few years.  Bryan vs. HHH was the workrate match.

He used the chinlock! Ultimate heel hubris.