DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

BTW - if any of you are on Team "I AM DONE WITH WRESTLING BECAUSE THE UNDERTAKER LOST!!!!" just let me know

I will gladly help facilitate that by deleting your account

Can I ban them ceremonially before you delete the account?

Also, I forgot who Dylan told me said this (Ryder? Scherer?) but this really makes wrestling unpredictable again. No outcome is safe. Wrestling is best served when there is doubt in your mind who will win and would have done wonders for that Taker match. 

• Like 1

Can anyone think of someone getting put over in a bigger way than Daniel Bryan?

Injured shoulder. Wrestles Triple H in a long match. Kicks out of Pedigree. Wins with one Knee. Gets his shoulder killed with a chair. Goes into Triple threat with Batista and Orton. Gets to brain Triple H with the Sledgehammer. Kicks out of a Batista Bomb. Eats an RKO Bomb Through a Table. Stretchered out. Comes back and makes Batista Tap. He was killed and resurrected like three times last night.

Austin just beat a broke Shawn Michaels. Bret lost to Owen in the opener before beating Yoko later. I'm not even sure what to compare such a ridiculous chain of events to.

• Like 1

That was an awesome show right there. The shock of the crowd when Lesnar got the 3-count was amazing. I've never seen a reaction like that in wrestling before. The streak... Something that's been going for 20+ years and hyped as something so incredible, and it ended just like that.

And those that think anybody forced taker to lose in any way are out of their minds. He's an old pro and was always gonna go out on his back.

We've all witnessed history right there.

I am not the biggest fan of Lesnar and I am the biggest proponant of letting UT take the Streak to the HOF but yeah, I am happy to see that they protected Brock's finisher even at the expense of UT's WM streak. Brock should be allowed some epic monster heel moments to keep him front page since for the time being he's not wearing a title.

I was on XBox Live chat with Rippa and we collectively deduced that Bryan was going to win the title match via the shopworn Wounded Underdog hero booking.  Vince sends the audience home happy at WM and no one would've been happy with Orton or Batista with the title. 

They will let you guys get this Bryan championship run out of your system and put the belt on Dave just in time for SummerSlam and the release of Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Nietzschian booking for Wyatt / Cena was brilliant. Be careful when hunting monsters, John Cena.

• Like 1

Can anyone think of someone getting put over in a bigger way than Daniel Bryan?

Injured shoulder. Wrestles Triple H in a long match. Kicks out of Pedigree. Wins with one Knee. Gets his shoulder killed with a chair. Goes into Triple threat with Batista and Orton. Gets to brain Triple H with the Sledgehammer. Kicks out of a Batista Bomb. Eats an RKO Bomb Through a Table. Stretchered out. Comes back and makes Batista Tap. He was killed and resurrected like three times last night.

Austin just beat a broke Shawn Michaels. Bret lost to Owen in the opener before beating Yoko later. I'm not even sure what to compare such a ridiculous chain of events to.

If Cena won a WrestleMania main event this way the internet would have a fucking fit.

• Like 2

I am not the biggest fan of Lesnar and I am the biggest proponant of letting UT take the Streak to the HOF but yeah, I am happy to see that they protected Brock's finisher even at the expense of UT's WM streak. Brock should be allowed some epic monster heel moments to keep him front page since for the time being he's not wearing a title.

I get what you're saying, but it took 3 F5s, and the first was mainly used as a transition and the second as just a babyface hope spot cut off. I'm not sure if I'd call that "protecting," even by weird WWE Main Event logic. 

That ending to Taker-Brock was the greatest moment I've ever seen as a wrestling fan, and anyone comparing it to Russo or TNA booking needs to go sit in a corner with the idiots that are acting like Bryan wasn't made to look like a million bucks last night.

• Like 2

I get what you're saying, but it took 3 F5s, and the first was mainly used as a transition and the second as just a babyface hope spot cut off. I'm not sure if I'd call that "protecting," even by weird WWE Main Event logic. 

And I will add that last night really showed a problem with WWE Main Event logic in context of an overall show. First match the Pedigree gets kicked out of. Bray kicked out of the AA and Cena kicked out of Sister Abigail. By the time Lesnar nails his first F5 no one is buying these moments as nearfalls and the kickouts mean less. 

• Like 2

It was a lot of fun. I don't know about one of the best Manias ever, it did sag in places, but the first half hour of 3 old dudes talking was pretty awesome, the preshow tag match was enjoyable though I still find it hard to care about the Matadores. And the Triple H came out with an incredible entrance that was off the wall insane and I loved it and it got me even more hyped for that opening match. Which delivered. Steph was great, HHH was great, Bryan was great, they have great spots, I was a happy customer. And then HHH attacked Bryan after the match and my heart sunk, he was going to get screwed again dammit!

Then the Battle Royale, which started off like a Battle Royal (ie there's too many guys in the ring, action is hard to follow, I'm not a big fan). I did get excited at what I thought was an Evan Bourne sitting but I think it turned out it was Tyson Kidd so that was anti-climactic. Anyway, once they were done to the last 8 or so guys it got entertaining, Seamus beating the ever-loving shit out of Fandango was pretty fun, Kofi's spot was the usual Kofi spot, ie totally insane and hard to comprehend how he keeps pulling them off in Rumbles & ladder matches. The ending was pretty great and if the WWE is attaching a rocket to Cesaro then I'm a happy bunny. Interesting that the "rumour" is that Christian was hurt and Cesaro took his place, accelerating his push. Which could turn out to be great in the end, this happening at Wrestlemania makes it extra special I think.

Wyatt Cena was a result that didn't surprise me, and I'm sure this just means that they are going to keep this feud going which I'm alright with. It's a weird one. The story they told in it was excellent, but I still felt it was kind of hollow, it didn't pull me in like I expected. I don't think that's all on Bray, though it's fair to say that the people who said he's maybe not at that level yet were right and I stand corrected.

Taker Brock was pretty disappointing until the end. I watch too much MMA to enjoy guys sitting in faux-MMA hold for 30-45 seconds while struggling. For whatever reason I just can't suspend my disbelief for something like that, which is really small and kind of unimportant. Still, the ending and the reaction to the ending more than made up for it. I'm not sure if a part-time who is already established as a big star would have been my choice for ending the streak, but at the same time it could help Brock pick up some steam and so I'm happy to see how it goes. And I'm happy the streak ended at some point, it'd have been shit and counter to pro wrestling for that rub not to be passed on to someone else. Reading on Twitter about people leaving the arena in tears was great. I wish I'd seen it. Hysterical.

Don't remember anything about the Divas match except the ref being a terrible position and not seeing that AJ was making her opponents arm tap, so that was a fun way to end. And Vickie's sour face at giving the belt to AJ at the end was great.

I was impressed that Randy Orton's theme song sounds worse live than it does on record. I didn't think it would be possible to hate it anymore than I already did. Anyway, the match. I don't know what to say. It ended right which I love. It was fun, Bryan was made to look a star, I hope Randy Orton didn't do himself serious harm landing on that monitor like he did. I thought HHH was going to ruin it when he interfered and the dodgy ref came out, but it ended up just making things even more special.

So yeah. A really fun show that has hopefully more than laid the groundwork for a passing of the torch of sorts.

Undertaker-Lesnar was mulch but fuck, the post-match reaction was astonishing, like Koloff beating Bruno. Not sold on people saying it was a great finish because nobody expected it, but that's a generation of kids growing up on Vince Russo's booking for you. Obviously we don't have the details yet and presumably it was Undertaker's last match, but man does that finish ever make Brock jobbing to Triple H last year look beyond dumb. I figure their hand was forced here but yeah, there were so many better choices to end the Streak. Roman Reigns, Cesaro, Bray, hell, Cena... Davey Richards... so many choices.

I'm so wanting the behind the scenes information to come out ASAP about The Streak coming to an end.

I'd say this was my least favourite 'Taker match since the rubbish WrestleMania XV.

What a show. Most fun I've had watching a Wrestlemania in a long time.

The Taker/Brock match had lost the interest of the people at my party. When Brock hit the 3rd F5 I thought "man they are really killing off Brock's finish" and then....wow. my cousin hates Brock with a vitriol usually reserved for murderers and politicians. He was sooooo pissed. Everyone was sitting in gape jawed silence for about a minute. Then there was much wailing and moaning.

My Dad and a best friend of mine really don't like Brock Lesnar. My Dad doesn't yet know that Lesnar won.

Wasn't totally sure they'd do it(Bryan's win).  Glad they did.

Taker's loss was one of the biggest shocks in wrestling ever.  It's sad that it seems like it happened because Taker just can't "go" like he used to any more.

Bryan-HHH was great.

Shield match hinged on whether the breakup was happening and I think we got the answer to that question.

Big night for Cesaro, great to see.

Glad the Usos retained.  Also glad A.J. retained though I could see her dropping the belt on Raw.

Agreed on the devaluing of finishers in big matches.  Amazing how protected Bryan's flying knee has been, and we even saw Orton kick out of Batista's pin after the knee(despite a delayed cover).

I was rooting for Wyatt but I figured Cena was taking it.  Some great moments in that one like the spider pop-up to cut off the Five-Knuckle Shuffle.

Glad I watched the show after initially not being sure if I would.

Interesting that the "rumour" is that Christian was hurt and Cesaro took his place, accelerating his push.

Meaning Christian was supposed to win, or Cesaro only got into a battle royal that also involved Brad Maddox and Yoshi Tatsu because Christian dropped out? Both of these seem unlikely.

• Like 1

I think Taker is done and wanted to go out like a pro...on his back.  Like someone said the whole match was built around him looking old and broken down.  He lost to a legitimate tough guy.  A guy who has won real fights in front of a million people on PPV.  What better way to end one of the greatest runs in the history of wrestling, sports, or entertainment?  It was really a moment I will never forget.  I couldn't believe that the ref counted 3, and everyone played their part amazingly.  The crowd reaction was great.  Just one of those moments that reminds you of why you fell in love with this sport as a kid.   

This was one of my favorite Manias. I'm sure that other people wouldn't say that it was a good Mania, and their opinion of it is perfectly fine. For me, it was an awesome event. 

I've been more invested in the WWE in the last calendar year than I have any other year. Daniel Bryan's rise to the top and his story coming in to Mania was awesome. There were stumbles at times, but it all paid off perfectly. Even though his winning felt like a forgone conclusion there were still some big moments in the match where I honestly thought he was going to lose. 

The battle royal was excellent, and Cesaro winning was great.

Taker losing completely silenced the people at my house. So crazy. I was halfway paying attention to the match, just waiting for the ending run. I was shocked. 

I dug every match on the card.

By last year I was sick of The Rock, and didn't want him on TV ever again, but I smiled when he came out. I haven't liked Hogan in over 15 years and he just seemed right and at home on this Mania card. 

It seems like the Atlanta WM was a low point for the WWE. They forgot to add "wrestling" back to the "entertainment". They've been re-learning how to build a good Wrestlemania and this year was a great one. 

This year's Mania tapped into that catharsis of being a wrestling fan. WWE creative had the balls to build up a bad guy and piss off the crowd for a few months and they finally blew it off at the right time. 

I am so happy with this show, and I never saw a Daniel Bryan match until that first episode of NXT.

Wrestling is pretty awesome when it's done right. I love being a wrestling fan. 

• Like 1

Also the Cesaro body slam spot was so fucking awesome.  If this guy doesn't come out of that a star then I'll be a monkey's uncle.  

I fancy Cesaro to get the Dolph Ziggler on the post WrestleMania XXIX RAW loud reaction on RAW tonight.

Any update on The Undertaker?

Interesting that the "rumour" is that Christian was hurt and Cesaro took his place, accelerating his push.

Meaning Christian was supposed to win, or Cesaro only got into a battle royal that also involved Brad Maddox and Yoshi Tatsu because Christian dropped out? Both of these seem unlikely.

The latter is what it seems that the "newz" sites are claiming. I mean nobody else who worked the preshow tag match was in the Battle Royale, was there? Which doesn't prove anything, or disprove anything. I think it's a bit farfetched that the WWE would go that hard on a guy who wasn't originally meant to be in the match originally, but it's an interesting claim even if it turns out that some fantasist made it up out of nothing.

BTW - if any of you are on Team "I AM DONE WITH WRESTLING BECAUSE THE UNDERTAKER LOST!!!!" just let me know

I will gladly help facilitate that by deleting your account

Can I ban them ceremonially before you delete the account?

Also, I forgot who Dylan told me said this (Ryder? Scherer?) but this really makes wrestling unpredictable again. No outcome is safe. Wrestling is best served when there is doubt in your mind who will win and would have done wonders for that Taker match. 

I think this match has reinvented the "near fall" for the next five years or so.

BTW - is the camera work this shitty all night long.

I just got the Battle Royal and they have been TNAing the hell out of spots so far

• Like 1

From a booking standpoint Brock doesn't need the win and doesn't have even a little bit of loyalty to the company, so it makes absolutely no sense on that level but I'm sure if you watched it live and didn't have it spoiled, it was amazing.

Would have made a lot of sense to use it to get someone over - which Lesnar already is - but I'm sure Taker had some say and ego very well might dictate that someone like Brock ends it. Still seems a huge waste... Imagine how much it would have done for Reigns or Cesaro.

Would have made a lot of sense to use it to get someone over - which Lesnar already is - but I'm sure Taker had some say and ego very well might dictate that someone like Brock ends it. Still seems a huge waste... Imagine how much it would have done for Reigns or Cesaro.

The backlash would have stopped them dead in their tracks. *Especially* Reigns.

Who cares if Brock is loyal enough to the company to "deserve" the win?