DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

Not to be a negative nancy, but I wish they didn't do that table spot tonight. It looked horrible and disgusting.  Orton fell back first onto a monitor and basically crushed it.  You can see it caved in after they hit the floor.  Just seemed like an unnecessary spot.  

Agreed. Just speaking from a kayfabe standpoint, why would Orton agree to do that? He took as much punishment from it as Bryan did while Big Dave was unscathed.

Really stupid.

My quick review:

- Pre-Show Tag: fun match as expected, glad it was changed to an elimination match and happy the The Usos retained.

- HHH vs. Bryan: holy shit amazing match between the two, loved HHH completely changing his style and going for a strong style ROH/Puro match here, Tiger Suplex!

- Shield vs. Kane/NAO: i said in another thread that this had to be a 5min squash to make the Shield look awesome and it was exactly that. It seemed they were playing No Mercy on easy because i was a total squash.

- Battle Royal: It got good when it was down to the last 6 or so. SO HAPPY that Cesaro won, that last few minutes made him look amazing, future world champ right there.

- Cena vs. Bray: kind of a slow story driven match, i would have liked for Bray to win but it could have gone either way. A bit disappointing. Best part was definitely Bray's entrance.

- Taker vs. Brock: crappy and kinda sad match, but that ending will go down in history as the most shocking moment ever. WWE played this feud as a throwaway typical Taker feud and no one would have ever seen this coming.

- Divas match: actually not too bad, pretty decent and glad that AJ won.

- Main Event: overbooked but it didn't take away anything from the match. That Powerbomb/RKO spot was straight out of a videogame. And finally they did the right thing to end the night, such a satisfying payoff.

Overall, my favorite WM ever.

• Like 1

Overall, this was a fantastic Mania, besides a couple filler matches.  Bryan/HHH was the match of the night, easily, and I knew that right away.  Brock/Taker was worse than I expected but the finale was amazing.  I imagine it was similar to Koloff beating Bruno back in the day.  I never expected him to win and I have to think Taker is going to retire now, or at least, he'll never work another Mania again.  Bray/Cena told a good story but was sluggish.  I missed the Divas shit and the 6-man Shield match, for bathroom breaks.  The Warrior coming out sans face paint was a let down.  Also, Cesaro winning the battle royal was awesome, especially with the Mania 3 slam and the really giant swing.  Here's to hoping he'll finally get a big push this year.

I couldn't get into the main event as much as I would have liked due to technical problems.  The vast majority of the PPV saw no problems but that match was skipping backwards and forwards like crazy, which disconnected me from the match.  Thankfully, the last few minutes worked fine, and Bryan had his great moment.  He seemed to actually get the biggest reaction of the night, even bigger than Cena.  It was a nice sight to see that sea of humanity doing the Yes points/chants.  I was surprised he pinned Batista actually.  I thought he'd pin Orton to set-up a Batista re-match at the next show.  I guess that doesn't mean the re-match won't happen.

The last two Mania's, for me, were one or two match shows but this was better, and some of the stuff was unexpected.  My only complaints were the technical shit but it was far less than I expected.

Brock-Taker worked better as a melodrama than a wrestling match. At least until the finish, which was phenominal. In the end, the quality of the match isn't going to matter, because no one's going to remember anything but the end anyway.

Also, LOL@ Reddit Guy having a Twitter meltdown and deleting his account. Rest in peace also.

• Like 1

It actually feels like we're on the verge of something special. That's the difference between now and X and XX. A lot of that is the network since it means we're inundated with WWE right now. The rest is Bryan/Cesaro/Shield as the guys they put over tonight and the Wyatts still being a hot act despite the loss.

• Like 1

That Taker-Brock match did exactly what Jake was talking about in his HOF speech last night: it fucked with my emotions. I honestly didn't know I could still be that invested in anything in wrestling. The match itself was pretty underwhelming, to be honest, but I was absolutely shocked by the finish.

• Like 1

It actually feels like we're on the verge of something special. That's the difference between now and X and XX. A lot of that is the network since it means we're inundated with WWE right now. The rest is Bryan/Cesaro/Shield as the guys they put over tonight and the Wyatts still being a hot act despite the loss.

Yeah, tonight felt like the changing of the guard thematically. JBL had the money quote: "Goodbye, Attitude Era!" when The Shield did the powerbomb.

Awesome, awesome show. The first three matches felt like the most perfectly booked start to a Mania ever. Though the opener did feel like it had a few weird Benoit references in there. HHH using a cross face, the rolling Germans, a missed diving headbutt going straight into a cross face.They even pulled out the rolling "hold onto the crossface" bit from the end of WM20. I may be reading far too much into it, but that seemed odd.

I loved it the steam was flawless all night despite a thunderstorm here. Lesnar was the only heel that won, except A.J. if you count her. Mind blowing they pulled the trigger on ending Taker's streak. I figured a heel had to win in one of the two matches left. Bryan was awesome all night, and so and knows quite a bit about ring psychology. Let's see if they let Bryan hang onto the title for longer than 24 hours this time. 

Awesome, awesome show. The first three matches felt like the most perfectly booked start to a Mania ever. Though the opener did feel like it had a few weird Benoit references in there. HHH using a cross face, the rolling Germans, a missed diving headbutt going straight into a cross face.They even pulled out the rolling "hold onto the crossface" bit from the end of WM20. I may be reading far too much into it, but that seemed odd.

The table spot in the main event was also a throwback to XX's main event.

The Reddit spoiler guy (who's usually 100% correct) is fuming because his source fed him the wrong results.  Pretty funny to see him lose it.

Seriously, Twitter is stupid and needs to fuck off already.  Why is this dude freaking out on Twitter because of a supposed WWE source feeding him lies?  Like he's calling it despicable behavior that he got fooled...