DVDVR Message Board

20 YEARS AGO TODAY - Cobain RIP

OSJ

When I hear someone debate who gave the best Star-Spangled Banner performance, I find it to be a waste of time if it doesn't end with Hendrix in a walk,  And he didn't sing a lick on it.

As Cobain goes, I have mixed feelings.  I thought Nirvana was great and even wore grunge-inspired clothing a few times during the era (which, if you saw how I dress, was a pretty big deal for me).  But I'm not sure how Cobain would have aged as time and his career continued.  It feels that we had seen/heard the best he had to offer--which doesn't make his death any less sad.

Some things:

3. OSJ with "Amusingly enough, I no longer see that ranting of FSW, Antacular, and their bastard child, offspring515, so this thread may continue with normal, polite discourse" IMMEDIATELY below FSW's post, which he allegedly cannot see.

I don't like his implication that neither me nor FSW are responsible parents. No offspring515 of mine is gonna be a latchkeykid.

• Like 1

Courtney gets turned into the wicked witch by people looking for people to blame.

The most blatant example is probably Nick Broomfield's Kurt and Courtney. He spends most of the movie entertaining the (absurd) idea she had him killed, decides its not true, but then spends the rest of the film bitching about how uncooperative she is with him (gee, maybe because you've suggested she murdered her husband with no evidence whatsoever?). 

The woman is a train wreck, no doubt about it.  But Kurt was unstable and doing hard drugs long before he met her.

RE: Her and Frances. I get the impression she was a good mother for most of her daughter's upbringing (and Frances did turn out pretty normal and not a typical Hollywood brat). But by 2006 or so, she just lost it, got heavy into the drugs and that basically ruined their relationship.

I'm kind of curious about many people in here have dealt with suicide in an extremely close manner.  As in someone extremely close to you doing it.  Not some person you kind of knew, but someone who impacted your life in a major way.  I ask because I'm always amazed at how callous people can be about calling those who commit suicide all selfish and shitty and horrible.  As if the people who do it are in a normal state of mind and just say "I'm thinking extremely clearly, so obviously I'm going to kill myself and not think of how it might affect anyone.  Because again, I'm very clear headed right now and making very rational and well thought out decisions." 

If you've ever been depressed enough that you didn't want to wake up, but still didn't commit suicide.....it probably means you were still clear headed enough to make at least that rational decision.

Whether it's drug abuse or depression or any other factor or combination of factors, when a person gets to that point, something isn't working right upstairs 99% of the time. 

As far as folks suddenly talking about what a great mother Courtney was because she didn't "bail out"...........isn't it well documented that she was shooting heroin while she was pregnant with Frances?  That probably disqualifies her as mother of the year. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Seattle PD released a copy of a hand scribbled note that was in Kurt's wallet when he killed himself. This is what it said (there was more but the photocopied picture cuts off the rest):

"Do you Kurt Cobain take Courtney Michelle Love to be your lawful shredded wife, even when she’s a bitch with zits and siphoning all (your) money for doping and whoring…”

• 2 weeks later...

Bleach is awesome.  Just listened to it a couple of days ago.  Of course I dig all of their stuff for the most part.  i was in high school when Nevermind came out and it didn't take long before people were asking to borrow my albums.  I think the extreme success of the band has overstated their talent though.  It is funny that it was Pearl Jam that ultimately survived all that stuff and is still playing sold out shows everywhere.  I don't believe Nivana would have endured like that even if Kurt was still around.

Bleach is awesome.  Just listened to it a couple of days ago.  Of course I dig all of their stuff for the most part.  i was in high school when Nevermind came out and it didn't take long before people were asking to borrow my albums.  I think the extreme success of the band has overstated their talent though.  It is funny that it was Pearl Jam that ultimately survived all that stuff and is still playing sold out shows everywhere.  I don't believe Nivana would have endured like that even if Kurt was still around.

I think that's pretty hard to judge.  Part of Nirvana's legacy was that they flamed out so quickly and were never given a chance to have their ups and downs like most other bands.  What direction musically Nirvana/Kurt Cobain was going to go is one of the great what ifs in music, but I don't think Kurt was done creatively speaking.

Is it that funny? They were always the safe, stadium friendly-sounding band. Musically, they were not far off your Extreme, Thunder, Warrant or other early 90s '80s bands'. They just had much smarter lyrics and plaid. They're Seattle REM. And there's nothing wrong with that; they were just built to last. I guess it was partly the fact that most of the band had lost Andrew Wood so let's behave. Saw them in 2000, and  - Do the Evolution aside - it was pretty much Snoozeville. 

I don't hate them though. I like pretty much all those bands from inception til about 96. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Nirvana didn't do much for me as far as the Seattle bands go. Soundgarden and AIC were the best of the bunch IMO, probably because they were the most metal of that wave so fit my tastes.  Cornell just brought so much more to the table than Cobain as well.  Staley had a more interesting voice, too. 

Dive was Nirvana's best song.  One of the only few of their's I still care to listen to.

Cobain was a piece of shit. The fact that he was once a voice of a generation still scares the fuck out of me

You really don't know shit about him, his life, or the things he dealt with.

Nirvana Unplugged is one of the greatest live sets of all-time. It was so brave of them to play that kind of show and to hit it out of the park like that is just amazing. While not technically a great signer he had this raw emotion that was and still is hard to match. Not a great frontman? Wow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

03. Lounge Act

God, this song is never mentioned by anyone, and buried on Nevermind, and it is amazing. Good to see some love for it.

I remember feeling old 10 years ago when I was listening to the local alt rock station commemorating 10 years.

I was weird in that I didn't fall in love with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" initially. I wondered what the hype was all about, and why I couldn't understand many words, and why it was so fuzzy. I grew to like it, like any pop song, but didn't LOVE IT until years later. Of course, I dove in headfirst, and got all the albums, and somehow found a copy of Hormoaning at a used CD place.