DVDVR Message Board

Biogenesis Suspensions Begin...

RIPPA

Boy that press conference was enthralling. Sure glad ESPN radio made the decision to carry that one.

Again there's a process and, you know...we'll see how that all goes.

Process.

This press conference is not the time nor the place to discuss anything other than that the time and the place to discuss this is not now.

I've been to two Phillies games, both times to see the Cards, and never had any issues with fans. In fact, both times I ended up having a really nice conversation with the Phillies fans next to me.I hate Philly sports fans with the fire of a thousand suns, but I think baseball games are different than the vibe you would get at an Eagles game.

I'm curious as to which teams you follow.As for Phillies fans vs. Eagles fans, I've been to several Phils games and I worked at Lincoln Financial Field for a season. I'd gladly take a hundred Phillies games than one Eagles game ever again (or really any event at the Linc other than the Army/Navy Game) because of the reasons you and Raziel have stated. I like Philly sports, but I hate it's fans.
I follow the Cards for baseball because my mom moved to MO when I was a kid and Ozzie Smith did backflips. I follow Cleveland sports for the rest because that is where I grew up. The Indians are just a distant second to the Cards.

You poor son of a bitch.  At least you're not the abomination to God that is the Philly-area Cowboys fan.

• Like 1

As much as I think Aroid is absolute weasel(and worse), the way things have developed I fully support him here. This whole thing with the secret "evidence" and the deal for Braun  has my bullshit detector on high. I am not saying he's innocent, as my nickname for him indicates, I think he's guilty as hell and a slimeball to boot. But there's something to be said for the process, and for being above board and letting people have their day in court. Rather than this shadowy bullshit, release the data and let us see it. If its all in incomprensible legalese, fine, but then we know the substance(s) and the rest. If the evidence is that strong, strike him from the record books. The way Selig has gone about this is bush league at best, and has turned me, a RED Sox fan, into a Aroid supporter, if for no other reason that Selig is trying something really fishy. . .and that pisses me right the fuck off. . .

Selig trying to salvage his reputation as a no-good commissioner is hilarious.  For that reason alone, I hope A-Rod fights this to the bitter end.  If they think he's going gently into that good night--ha!

Of all people it was Kruk I think who pointed out today, that if A-Rod somewhere in his mind doesn't think he can come back after another year off, as a 40-year-old with two shit hips and 1 1/2 shit knees, then appealing and eating the lifetime ban gives him one thing that he otherwise doesn't have: Two months of being a pro baseball player.

I mean, why not.  Your final memory can be being benched in the playoffs, or it can be whatever you get to do these last few weeks.  At least this way, you have a chance to take it all in knowing that this is your last run.

• Like 1

The aribtrator basically said that nothing will happen with A-Rod till around Novmember.

So actually - if the suspension is upheld it actually helps the Yanks more.

This is a lost season so letting A-Rod play now but then getting to save even more money even in 2015 is a win for them.

Of course - most likely the suspension is going to be cut to 100 games and I will be sad

Of all people it was Kruk I think who pointed out today, that if A-Rod somewhere in his mind doesn't think he can come back after another year off, as a 40-year-old with two shit hips and 1 1/2 shit knees, then appealing and eating the lifetime ban gives him one thing that he otherwise doesn't have: Two months of being a pro baseball player.

Barry Bonds was still hoping a team would sign him after his contract expired and he sat out of baseball for a year. Jose Canseco wanted to play 2-3 more years and still thinks he could hit 20+ homers as a DH. These PED cheats never voluntarily leave, they have to be driven out like rats carrying the bubonic plague. Which I guess makes Bud baseball's St Patrick.Anyway, as someone who read the Selena Roberts bio on A-Rod, I'm fairly certain humility and the ability to realistically evaluate oneself are life skills Alex Rodriguez does not possess.

Barry Bonds was still hoping a team would sign after his contract expired and he sat out of baseball for a year. Jose Canseco wanted to play 2-3 more years and still thinks he could hit 20+ homers as a DH. These PED cheats never voluntarily leave, they have to be driven out like rats carrying the bubonic plague. Which I guess makes Bud baseball's St Patrick.

Or baseball's pied piper, anyway.

I still don't know what the grounds for suspending A-Rod more than 50 games is supposed to be.  He has not been suspended for PED use before, so, under the rules, he is technically a first time offender, and thus it should be 50 games, and I hope he kills MLB over this.  Not because I'm a big A-Rod fan, but because what the fuck is the point of having a system if they aren't going to follow it?  And because I hate Selig more than any player ever.

I still don't know what the grounds for suspending A-Rod more than 50 games is supposed to be.  He has not been suspended for PED use before, so, under the rules, he is technically a first time offender, and thus it should be 50 games, and I hope he kills MLB over this.  Not because I'm a big A-Rod fan, but because what the fuck is the point of having a system if they aren't going to follow it?  And because I hate Selig more than any player ever.

I think the argument is like with Bryun that he lied and or impeded MLBs investigation plus if the rumors are true the fact that he was a runner or at least bring guys to the his guy is where the other part comes from.

"Obstruction of justice" - offering to pay witnesses, uncooperative with MLB, ...

"Obstruction of justice" - offering to pay witnesses, uncooperative with MLB, ...

If their going that route, their source better be a saint, and I'm pretty sure he isn't. If your going to allege obstruction, you should have come forward with your evidence, but they are hiding their evidence, and using blackmail to keep it from the light of day. Not for protecting the roiders at all, but if goal is to clean up the game, you have to be better than the cheaters, not use similar methods. . .Selig and company's methods remind me of mob scenes in movies, ie you better buy insurance or who knows what could happen; same thing occured here. Aroid in his arrogance and hubris, should bare the evidence and witnesses out, for the record is nothing else. . .

Bonds was still one of the most productive hitters in the game during his final season. He was basically blackballed from the Majors.

He was also a pretty big drag on clubhouse morale. 

I mean, the team sucking was also a drag, but it was like they spent years just holding their breathe waiting for him to fucking go away already.

Bonds was still one of the most productive hitters in the game during his final season. He was basically blackballed from the Majors.

And Canseco hit 16 homers in only 75 games before he was blackballed the next year. He even says in Juiced (which whatever you might think of him, has proven to be almost completely accurate) the only reason he decided to write the book was he was pissed off at getting blackballed as a sort of token sacrificial lamb when usage was running amok.

This is why I wrote on the other page that what Kruk said is nuts. The PED users never go away on their own volition, they basically have to be forced from the game through some sort of collusion.

While I am no fan of A-Rod, I completely understand why he's fighting this suspension. Braun interfered with the process as much as he did and got 65 games. How the hell does Bud turn around and justify banning him for 200+? It's a not so subtle blackball tactic, pure and simple.

MLB is invested heavily in Latin America where a lot of these substances are legal. It's ridiculous to think these guys are going to suddenly stop using PED's when its all they've ever known. Steroids are widespread in high school locker rooms as well. We had users on my high school football team and that was a pretty small school.

If their going that route, their source better be a saint, and I'm pretty sure he isn't. If your going to allege obstruction, you should have come forward with your evidence, but they are hiding their evidence, and using blackmail to keep it from the light of day. Not for protecting the roiders at all, but if goal is to clean up the game, you have to be better than the cheaters, not use similar methods. . .Selig and company's methods remind me of mob scenes in movies, ie you better buy insurance or who knows what could happen; same thing occured here. Aroid in his arrogance and hubris, should bare the evidence and witnesses out, for the record is nothing else. . .

Why do you keep insisting they're "hiding evidence?" Just because all the evidence isn't sent to you personally doesn't mean anything is being hidden.  If I was involved in the process I'd want as little actually getting out as possible.