DVDVR Message Board

Biogenesis Suspensions Begin...

RIPPA

I know its not exactly the same, but Pete Rose was a player/manager, so he probably bet while he was still playing, if he gets back in, let the 1919 White sox back in too.  Sure they threw the series, but do we have evidence(other than Rose's word) that he never bet on his team to lose or shaved points? No he's never getting in the Hall of Fame.

Fuck that ridiculous logic.  So he "probably" bet while he was still playing? And then you go on to say "but do we have evidence that he never bet on his team to lose or shaved points?" That is some idiotic thinking.  If you're going to ban a guy for life don't you think you should have evidence the other way? Hey buddy, we think you "probably" bet while you were playing and we don't have any evidence that you ever bet against your team so we need proof of that. There is no way possible to prove that you didn't do something like that.   

In no way, shape, or form is what Rose did similar to the Black Sox throwing the series.  They threw the fucking series! There's no evidence that Rose ever threw anything at all.  Rose bet on baseball and that's a big no-no but there's never been any evidence that he bet against his team.  He has publicly said that he bet "on" his team but never against it.  Rose is an idiot and made a mistake but he should absolutely be included in the HOF. 

No he bet on baseball, that was proven beyond any doubt, so he magically decided, hey i am retired now so i'll start?  As for winning/losing that is my speculation, but if you let him back in, it opens the door, even by the smallest crack for the black sox. . .Neither is going to happen. Besides Rose is a flagrant liar and I wouldn't  believe a word he says on anything, as he also said for decades he never bet on baseball at all.

I know its not exactly the same, but Pete Rose was a player/manager, so he probably bet while he was still playing, if he gets back in, let the 1919 White sox back in too.  Sure they threw the series, but do we have evidence(other than Rose's word) that he never bet on his team to lose or shaved points? No he's never getting in the Hall of Fame.

Fuck that ridiculous logic.  So he "probably" bet while he was still playing? And then you go on to say "but do we have evidence that he never bet on his team to lose or shaved points?" That is some idiotic thinking.  If you're going to ban a guy for life don't you think you should have evidence the other way? Hey buddy, we think you "probably" bet while you were playing and we don't have any evidence that you ever bet against your team so we need proof of that. There is no way possible to prove that you didn't do something like that.   

In no way, shape, or form is what Rose did similar to the Black Sox throwing the series.  They threw the fucking series! There's no evidence that Rose ever threw anything at all.  Rose bet on baseball and that's a big no-no but there's never been any evidence that he bet against his team.  He has publicly said that he bet "on" his team but never against it.  Rose is an idiot and made a mistake but he should absolutely be included in the HOF. 

No he bet on baseball, that was proven beyond any doubt, so he magically decided, hey i am retired now so i'll start?  As for winning/losing that is my speculation, but if you let him back in, it opens the door, even by the smallest crack for the black sox. . .Neither is going to happen. Besides Rose is a flagrant liar and I wouldn't  believe a word he says on anything, as he also said for decades he never bet on baseball at all.

Oh and my(admittedly loose and probably wrong) speculation, still makes more sense than this biogenesis bullshit, Aroid ought to retire over the weekend to fuck over selig and the Yanks. . .

I don't think being home is BETTER than the live experience but I think it's close enough to where more often than not I would probably say "screw it, it's not worth the extra money and hassle"

I love going to live games but staying home and chillin with some friends, cooking out on the grille, etc...  is REALLY fucking fun too.

Live baseball is fun, assuming you're in the mood for the pastoral pace and there's good weather.

Live football? Not so much. Usually worse weather, many more drunk fans, usually more belligerent fans. Watching 1 game vs Red Zone / internet coverage of all the games.

Overpriced food/beverages in both places.

Some of the funnest live baseball I've seen was at college.  My college had a great team that played other great teams (there are four guys in the majors from the last squad I saw play there), but they didn't  have a huge stadium like some have now.  So it was still just a few rows of bleachers right up on the base lines.

It was the closest-up I ever was to baseball at a level where I was constantly saying "There was never a point in my life when I could have done that..."

It kind of freaked me out that maybe 1 out of 5 of those guys would be good enough to get drafted, and maybe 1 out of 5 of those few would make it as far as AAA.

I enjoy going to games but I just wish somebody would do something about the obnoxious scoreboard operator(s). I don't know if it's the same in every park (I've only been to PNC and the Trop) but the constant barrage of sound is extremely annoying. You try to point something out to your dad or convince the guys next to you to vote for Cutch and all of a sudden you're drowned out by blaring music or pointless video packages. And the absolute WORST is the graphic that intones "Everybody clap your hands!" We're watching the fucking game, can't you trust us to cheer at the appropriate moments?

• Like 1

"Everybody clap your hands!" We're watching the fucking game, can't you trust us to cheer at the appropriate moments?

This is almost enough to keep me away by itself.  I feel like a goddamned trained zoo animal putting on a show.  It's makes it seem like the fans at a baseball game are viewed with more disdain than the fans at a WWE show in terms of mindless manipulation.

Even watching on t.v. I get a little angry whenever that stupid song comes on.  Thank God for Wrigley fieldand WGN.

I enjoy going to games but I just wish somebody would do something about the obnoxious scoreboard operator(s). I don't know if it's the same in every park (I've only been to PNC and the Trop) but the constant barrage of sound is extremely annoying. You try to point something out to your dad or convince the guys next to you to vote for Cutch and all of a sudden you're drowned out by blaring music or pointless video packages. And the absolute WORST is the graphic that intones "Everybody clap your hands!" We're watching the fucking game, can't you trust us to cheer at the appropriate moments?

Asking if fans can be trusted to do the right thing seems like a silly question on a pro wrestling board. 

Live baseball is fun, assuming you're in the mood for the pastoral pace and there's good weather.Live football? Not so much. Usually worse weather, many more drunk fans, usually more belligerent fans. Watching 1 game vs Red Zone / internet coverage of all the games.Overpriced food/beverages in both places.

Football weather is awesome to me.  It's played in the fall/early winter.  Non-stop action, lots of crowd interaction/cheering.  Baseball is in the dead of summer for the most part.  Hot and sticky in an uncomfortable stadium seat, watching a game that's going to take over three hours and the majority of that time will consist solely of two guys playing catch.  If there's good pitching you won't hear any cheering at all.  I can appreciate the subtleties of baseball, I'd just rather do it from my couch where I can do other things when there's nothing at all going on with the game.  

"Over three hours to finish"? Sure, maybe if you're watching the Yankees and Red Sox, or the game goes into extra innings. If you try to boil baseball down to "two guys playing catch", you probably shouldn't be watching the damn game. How many plays in football result in passes that one player touches or rushes that pick up two or fewer yards?

Dude, don't get butthurt because I think baseball is a slower methodical game than football.  It is.  And yes I can think the majority of a baseball game is two guys playing catch because that's exactly what it is.  That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the dynamic of a good pitcher and hitter matchup and a good game being called by the catcher but I don't enjoy that from over a hundred feet away from the field in a hard stadium seat in the dog days of summer.  You can't even see the location of the pitches in a live baseball game and that's the most interesting/critical thing to watch in a baseball game to me.    

Football non-stop action?

A game that has 8 minutes of actual play in a 60 minute game that takes 3-1/4 hours to finish?

The average number of hits in a major league baseball game is just over 17.  Using a very conservative average of 10 seconds for a hit and 5 seconds for an out, baseball has about 5 minutes of action that is aside from two guys playing catch.  The average MLB game lasts two hours and fifty minutes.  

The thing I miss when I'm not there live is watching the players shift in the field, and seeing plays unfold.  I really miss the camera they used to use most of the time back in the day that allowed you to see most of the infield.

Nowadays they insist on the super close up of the pitcher and then the over-the-shoulder focus on every pitch.  It makes the game feel small and claustrophobic.  I'd love to see the reverse angle on some pitches, or even a side view.  It's like they think we will freak out if we don't have the scientifically proven perfect angle on every pitch.

But I don't know who decided that one shot was the scientifically proven perfect angle for every pitch.  If it's a close call they can do the replay from that angle and put the little box up and everything, but let me see the game unfold live, not just the fire in the pitcher's eyes...over and over and over.

• Like 1

I will say this, I HATE being at Wrigley Field when it's hot and muggy outside, but I'm terrible at handling hot weather. 60 to 75 all year round would be my ideal climate. However, when it isn't that hot, there is nothing quite like sitting in the bleachers. In the bleachers, you are the furthest from the action, and at the same time, you're right in the thick of it. The only other spot I like better is somewhere behind home plate. In any event, being able to see every shift, watching what individual players do, watching other players on opposing teams talk to each other on the field, etc. are all little things that make me love watching baseball live. Watching baseball live also minimizes the usual annoyances of pitchers that take a glacially slow amount of time delivering pitches. Watching that shit on TV is the worst. Watching it live, not so much. I typically get lost in the game, and yet, I also get totally wrapped up in the excitement of winning and the disappointment of losing. I love it. There's nothing else like watching baseball live.

I do think the love experience varies from park to park. Atlanta has lots of shade because its hot! Some other parks I've been to didn't need as much shade. I enjoyed the bleacher experience in Cleveland and Seattle. (Shout out to Safeco and that usher who got us better seats bc he heard we were out of towners.) I do see how a persons opinion on live baseball (and all outdoor sport) could vary based on location.

I absolutly love going to Yankee Stadium to watch baseball, but I don't do it because no matter if I drive or take the train, I'm dropping $150 in addition to the tickets.  But the bleachers still rule.

I hate going to Citizen's Bank Park, but that might be my hatred of Philadelphia and fearing for my life because of the fans, not because the stadium is bad.  The stadium is really beautiful, just that (most of) the shithead fans of the Phillies don't deserve that building.

Going to watch the Trenton Thunder at Arm & Hammer Park is nice because its down the street, and only costs me $50 to bring the girl, and the tickets are so little that if my 5 year old gets bored, I'm 10 minutes from home and didn't drop the $300 it would if I went to NY or Philly.

I loved my trip to PNC Park. Fenway, not so much, just because of the cramped conditions and i'm not a Sox fan.

camden yards is always cool. Last time we were there, we sit in the front row slightly between home and third, right behind the on deck circle of the visiting team.

Only one trip to Philly's new park. It was okay.

Petco is also great. We took the backstage tour and that was very cool.

Safeco was neat, but we were there inDecember, so no game. But we happen to be there on the day of the Mariners' Fan Fest, so got to go to that.

I've been to two Phillies games, both times to see the Cards, and never had any issues with fans. In fact, both times I ended up having a really nice conversation with the Phillies fans next to me. 

I hate Philly sports fans with the fire of a thousand suns, but I think baseball games are different than the vibe you would get at an Eagles game. 

I've been to two Phillies games, both times to see the Cards, and never had any issues with fans. In fact, both times I ended up having a really nice conversation with the Phillies fans next to me.  I hate Philly sports fans with the fire of a thousand suns, but I think baseball games are different than the vibe you would get at an Eagles game.

Probably depends on the opposition.Atmosphere at Philles/Mets is probably different than Phillies/Padres.

I've been to two Phillies games, both times to see the Cards, and never had any issues with fans. In fact, both times I ended up having a really nice conversation with the Phillies fans next to me. I hate Philly sports fans with the fire of a thousand suns, but I think baseball games are different than the vibe you would get at an Eagles game.

I'm curious as to which teams you follow.As for Phillies fans vs. Eagles fans, I've been to several Phils games and I worked at Lincoln Financial Field for a season. I'd gladly take a hundred Phillies games than one Eagles game ever again (or really any event at the Linc other than the Army/Navy Game) because of the reasons you and Raziel have stated. I like Philly sports, but I hate it's fans.

As someone who goes to at least half a dozen Phillies games a year, and has been going since the dog days of the Vet in the 90s, I can safely say this: if you don't take things personally, you'll have a good time. I've had two incidents in the near decade CBP has been open. One involved an obviously drunken fan throwing a bottle at my head after a Brave homered to extend the lead to like 9-0, and the other involved an obviously drunken fan yelling in my face for...well, no real reason, aside from my team sucking because Cliff Lee homered off of Tommy Hanson (in a game the Braves would end up winning). So, there's that.

• Like 1