DVDVR Message Board

NHL - APRIL 2014

Dolfan in NYC

Devils called me today, and wouldn't you know it: turns out they do have a $1,000 season ticket for next season available (they told me a month ago cheapest available was $1,250). So now I am a Devils STH. Was also nice of them to give me freebies for the four remaining home games. I am going to bring a petition to game tomorrow urging the NHL to get rid of the shootout as everyone who shows up will gladly sign it.

So Caps are pretty much done after tonight. Thank God for the Pieface near Penn Station (where I can get a British style pie or sausage roll. Opened 24/7). I'm hungry!

• Like 1

No miraculous playoff run for Devils. At least now I can cheer for the Isles on Friday because Devils are done. Will have to go to Philly for playoffs (no way in hell I can afford MSG).

So much for Larry Brooks dancing on Torts' grave.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a whole clean sweep of management and coaches on one hand. On the other hand, Tortorella signed a wonderful five-year contract.

If Darryl Sutter can work as a coach, so can Torts.  I think it generally has more to do with depth and talent.  The team being unable to score dates back to the second half of 2010.  Vigneault was fired because they couldn't score. 

I think Gillis has the right philosophy of how to build a team but not the right eye for finding those types of players.  He also tried to overcorrect the "toughness" issue.  It doesn't help the Sedins to have a bunch of grinders on other lines.  They need guys who can help put the puck in the net when they're having to go against the top defensive pairing and shutdown line during a playoff series.

Got 2nd Flyers playoff game for $75 on StubHub so I'll be seeing a playoff game after all. And if season ended today, that would be game 4 vs the Rangers. And here's a tip for anyone planning to go to a Flyers game: Do not get tickets through the box office/Comcasttixs, always get them on StubHub. Season ticket holders get up to a 50% discount on face value of their tickets so they will sell below face and still make money.

Aquilini's words at the presser today make it sound like Tortorella is done like dinner.

Mike (Gillis) hired Tortorella and I'm responsible for that and that's why we have a change in direction today

Red Wings get a point from the Penguins and make the playoffs for the 500th (actually 23rd) season in a row.  And, with Gustav Nyquist, have an outside shot at having their first 30-goal scorer since 2008/2009 (when they had 4).  Nyquist has been far and away the Red Wings' best player during the absences of Datsyuk and Z (Pavel is back now) so Mike Babcock naturally rewarded against Pittsburgh by playing him just 14 minutes.  Way to get your top scorer on the ice, Mike!