DVDVR Message Board

Letterman to Retire in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

His appearance was suitably anarchic and heartfelt. I loved him having to chug some vodka, but that's one of my things, so hey. I'm definitely gonna miss tomorrow so please tell me how it ends. 

Also, crusty old Bob Dylan looked pissed. Maybe that's how he looks all the time now. Or he could be imitating Dave for the last decade?

I LOVED the way he big-timed Dave at the end of the show and stood away from him. What a crusty ol' bastard.

There were times where Bill Murray had this great heartfelt look on his face during his interview. You can tell there's a real connection between the two.

Eddie Vedder was awesome Monday night. I'm gonna be pissed if the final show tapes in the afternoon and spoilers leak out and I accidentally happen across some.

The last bit of my childhood/teenage/college years officially dies tomorrow night, replaced with shitstains like James Corden living in hope that he'll go viral.

There were times where Bill Murray had this great heartfelt look on his face during his interview. You can tell there's a real connection between the two.

The last bit of my childhood/teenage/college years officially dies tomorrow night,

Yeah, I loved Murray's face during the interview.  He was definitely holding it back.

I'll be 47 in four days.  I watched the very first Late Night show in high school and was tired as hell the next day, (much like this morning), and will be the same tomorrow.  I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I actually made my wife sit thru two hours of YouTube'd Dave stuff Friday night ramping up for this week

Thank you, Dave, for all the joy you have brought to this man's heart. (My Mom didn't like that you kept me up that late, tho.)

The last bit of my childhood/teenage/college years officially dies tomorrow night,

Yeah, I loved Murray's face during the interview.  He was definitely holding it back.

I'll be 47 in four days.  I watched the very first Late Night show in high school and was tired as hell the next day, (much like this morning), and will be the same tomorrow.  I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I actually made my wife sit thru two hours of YouTube'd Dave stuff Friday night ramping up for this week

Thank you, Dave, for all the joy you have brought to this man's heart. (My Mom didn't like that you kept me up that late, tho.)

Yeah, I'm 46, and I've been telling younger people at work all week long what a truly momentous occasion this is for people my age. This is the guy we grew up with, our generation's real comedy touchstone. SNL was, to a point, but Letterman was much more the guy who shaped our generation's comedy sensibilities.

I've heard, like I'm sure a lot of you guys have heard, that "oh, you're so funny, you should go into comedy, blah, blah, blah," and the guy who taught me that sense of humor, just so smartass and ironic and edgy, was Letterman.

He had Rupert Gee on last night, and they were showing clips from the early days of the CBS show when he would be in a situation somewhere and Letterman would tell him what to say. It was tremendous. That would've made for some great YouTube shit back in the day, had YouTube been the force it is now. Same for the way-old stuff, like dropping stuff off a building or running over it with a steamroller or the velcro wall. He would've been a viral sensation if "viral" existed back then.

But as soon as it starts existing, Dave, ever the contrarian, quits doing stuff like that and just hosts his show from his desk.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Fallon and Kimmel show up since they are airing repeats tonight. Slim chance Leno actually may be there. Slim

If there ever was a time for Andy Kaufman to reveal it was all a hoax. . . . . :(

• Like 2

The final show was damn good. Dave is still sharp and witty...aka everything Jimmy Fallon tries to be, and fails.

I'll be down a YouTube rabbit hole of old Letterman clips,for the next few weeks.

It seems many of us all have the same connection to Dave, that being our fathers.  I'm in the same boat.  I haven't watched Letterman in a few years, but watched last night.  As a kid, dad would let me stay up to watch it, and it's one of the few things I can saw connected us.  I got nostalgic remembering the times before our falling out, and his eventual passing.  Piece of my childhood went away forever.  The closing montage was just epic and had me choked up a little.  I just wish they had more time to work in some old bits from the past(which they might have done during the final week, I'm not sure), like the Indian guy that used to antagonize people on the streets or "Know your cuts of meat".

I really enjoyed the finale although it was a bit sobering to be reminded how old I am - as luck would have it, all the Carson/Leno stuff happened during my senior year of high school and Dave's CBS debut coincided with my starting college. So whenever they showed clip from his later Late Show/Early CBS Show days, it was kinda weird remembering where I was when I watched that stuff happen.

I liked the little retrospectives, I agree with Paul that seeing Larry Bud Melman (Sorry, that's what he'll always be to me, damn NBC and their "Intellectual Property" bullshit) was the best tribute although I dug that Dave took a moment out to talk about Andy Kaufman. The top ten was fine although I guess I was secretly hoping the Top 3 was going to be a string of late night hosts (Kimmel, Conan and Leno ideally) doing some play on the Late Night Wars thing Dave got so much mileage out of - although the Seinfeld Finale joke by Louis-Dreyfus was pretty tremendous.

Even though I admittedly haven't watched his show regularly in years, I'll miss Dave. He was always my favorite - for the skits certainly as others have already mentioned but definitely for his interviews. He was the only late night guy who didn't annoy/bore me talking with celebs (at least until Ferguson came along).

I wish The Heavy had got to play on Letterman one last time. Still the only band he's ever had play an encore and they did it twice.

The Heavy fucking ruled that night.  Cool to see the Foos perform Everlong but I am shocked that Queens of the Stone Age didn't perform during the final week or I missed it if they did.

I wish The Heavy had got to play on Letterman one last time. Still the only band he's ever had play an encore and they did it twice.

The Heavy fucking ruled that night. Cool to see the Foos perform Everlong but I am shocked that Queens of the Stone Age didn't perform during the final week or I missed it if they did.

It seems many of us all have the same connection to Dave, that being our fathers.  I'm in the same boat.  I haven't watched Letterman in a few years, but watched last night.  As a kid, dad would let me stay up to watch it, and it's one of the few things I can saw connected us.  I got nostalgic remembering the times before our falling out, and his eventual passing.  Piece of my childhood went away forever.  The closing montage was just epic and had me choked up a little.  I just wish they had more time to work in some old bits from the past(which they might have done during the final week, I'm not sure), like the Indian guy that used to antagonize people on the streets or "Know your cuts of meat".

Or the herd of Spider-Men invading a Starbucks.

If you mean Letterman asking a band to restart a song after they'd finished playing it and play out the show, the Drive-By Truckers did that in June 2011.

Conan hit it right on the head in his EW article that Dave came along at a time when there wasn't anything like him on TV at the time. And there wasn't. You could argue that a lot of the TV world we see around us now has Dave's handprints on it. And then he went to CBS and reined in a lot of his Dave-ness, but the silliness was still there, and that's fine.

And for me, getting to stay up until 12:30 to watch Late Night was a special treat that I didn't always get to do.

Not entirely true. The Heavy were the first, but he also asked Ryan Adams & Wanda Jackson to do encores.

Not entirely true. The Heavy were the first, but he also asked Ryan Adams & Wanda Jackson to do encores.

Are you saying Wikipedia can't be trusted??? NOOOOOOOOOO

My favorite thing about the whole Leno-Conan fiasco was Letterman's reactions to it. Tearing Jay a new asshole every night for about 2 weeks straight.