DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Attended the Smackdown taping last night.  Sat next to two of the type of wrestling fans I try so hard to avoid.   :(  They spent the entire time talking about how much better wrestling used to be, how every wrestler's father was better than the current-day wrestler, and generally showing off their "smarts".  I wanted to ask them why they spent more than $100 a piece on ringside tickets for a show they weren't going to enjoy...or to at least switch seats with me so that I could be in the seat right at the ramp.  

Worst part was shortly after a young kid sitting behind us was yelled at for standing.  The wrestler he was rooting for (I forget the match) kicked his opponent in the head and the kid yelled and cheered.  Dipwad #1 turns around and says, "He missed him."  I regret not telling him off right there.  Let the kid enjoy the show.  He at least starting leaving me alone when he eventually realized that my response to everything he said was going to be "I disagree".

Ugh, people who ruin it for little kids are the effing worst. I can stomach smarkiness and douchebaggery but I hate it when people point out shit like that to kids. My fiancee's daughter will always ask me stuff like, "how did Undertaker get in the casket when he wasn't there during the match" and I always kayfab (tm Joseph Park) her.

On the current roster, which second / third generation stars are better than their fathers?

Too early to me to see Bray Wyatt.

Axel? No

Cody, No.

Dustin? No.

Usos? No and too early

Tamina? No

Nattie? Maybe but no

Edit: not suprisingly matt says dustin > dusty. Work wise maybe, but not the whole package.

My tolerance for smarky "I hate everything but I still watch religiously" garbage is pretty much non existant. An acquaintance (friend of a friend) was excluded from our Mania party this year for just such a reason. It's like dude, if everyone else is into the match and cheering and you're sitting there going "omg...so phoney....they botched that....why isn't he selling more....this is garbage" you're being a turd.

Not that you should fake being into a match if you're not, but to try and ruin everyone else's enjoyment is terrible.

• Like 5

If you are talking purely in-ring work - Dustin is better than Dusty

Agreed. Also, when I mentioned Cowboy Bob, I was initially referring to his in-ring work being better than Randy's and I stand by that statement.  Now I'd be interersted in doing a little back to back comparison between the two.

I'd think there would be a fair amount from the crockett library for his early to mid 80s stuff.

I saw someone post in the CWF Facebook group post a match on youtube that featured Senior and Junior in a tag match from the 70s.

The Coach talks Vince McMahon

On an infamous prank Vince McMahon pulled on him: “What you read and heard was 100% true. The thing about WWE is you have to be accepted on many different levels. From 2003 on, I was one of the boys. If you were willing to put your neck on the line and get in the ring, that separates you from everybody else. Up until that point, I had to be accepted into the crew, so to speak. Basically, Jerry Brisco came up to me in 2001 in Fayetteville, North Carolina, and he said he wanted me to run a football pool. $10 to pick all the games, and everybody did it. And I started on a Tuesday, it was a Smackdown taping, I’ll never forget it.

I had my own room I did interviews in, and all the sudden two cops show up. They were very serious, and said I understand you’re running a gambling pool. You sold one to one of our undercover cops here. It’s a felony in North Carolina and we’re going to have to take you in. So we’re walking down the hallway, and we stop in front of Vince’s office, and they said we should probably let him know because you’re not going to be here for a while. We walk in and it’s Vince, Triple H, Stephanie, The Rock, Kevin Dunn and Jerry Brisco. I should have known that, with Jerry in the room, something was going on, but I was so terrified because I was 26 years old. The real cops proceeded to tell Vince they’ve caught me in a gambling pool and we need to take him downtown. Vince got in my face, and he was an inch away from my nose. He was cursing, telling me my priorities were bad, and spending company time to run a gambling pool. This entire riff lasted 45 minutes. At the end of the office bit, the officer said it was $1,500 to get me out, and Vince said F-no, he’s on his own. They handcuffed me, and I asked if there was anything I could put over my face. Vince threw me a pair of sweaty gym shorts that got stuck on my face. I walked out of the office and the first person I see is The Undertaker. He looks at me with shock, and it was so real because no one else was in on it except those people in the office.

They walked me out, and all the fans could see me and they drove me about a mile down the road, and got a call on the radio that they had to come back to pick up something. They turn around, come back, and everyone’s there with Vince in front of everybody laughing their asses off. Greatest rip in the history of the business, and for about 10 minutes I literally walked to a place in the building and started crying. I thought my career was over. I thought how can I tell my dad I got fired over a $10 football pool.”

• Like 4

The problem with Cowboy Bob is that we don't have a ton of footage of him pre-WWF. 

I would hope that as the network expands, we might see more of his mid-atlantic run. What I have seen of him reminds me of Barry Windham or (for a stranger comparison) circa 1995 Akira Taue. A big lanky guy that could sort of do everything well even when his build said he shouldn't.

And their common usage of the superplex. :)

If I remember correctly, doesn't Cowboy Bob get credited with inventing the superplex? I know it was his finisher for a stretch and he was the first guy I ever saw use it.

The Coach talks Vince McMahon

On an infamous prank Vince McMahon pulled on him: “What you read and heard was 100% true. The thing about WWE is you have to be accepted on many different levels. From 2003 on, I was one of the boys. If you were willing to put your neck on the line and get in the ring, that separates you from everybody else. Up until that point, I had to be accepted into the crew, so to speak. Basically, Jerry Brisco came up to me in 2001 in Fayetteville, North Carolina, and he said he wanted me to run a football pool. $10 to pick all the games, and everybody did it. And I started on a Tuesday, it was a Smackdown taping, I’ll never forget it.

I had my own room I did interviews in, and all the sudden two cops show up. They were very serious, and said I understand you’re running a gambling pool. You sold one to one of our undercover cops here. It’s a felony in North Carolina and we’re going to have to take you in. So we’re walking down the hallway, and we stop in front of Vince’s office, and they said we should probably let him know because you’re not going to be here for a while. We walk in and it’s Vince, Triple H, Stephanie, The Rock, Kevin Dunn and Jerry Brisco. I should have known that, with Jerry in the room, something was going on, but I was so terrified because I was 26 years old. The real cops proceeded to tell Vince they’ve caught me in a gambling pool and we need to take him downtown. Vince got in my face, and he was an inch away from my nose. He was cursing, telling me my priorities were bad, and spending company time to run a gambling pool. This entire riff lasted 45 minutes. At the end of the office bit, the officer said it was $1,500 to get me out, and Vince said F-no, he’s on his own. They handcuffed me, and I asked if there was anything I could put over my face. Vince threw me a pair of sweaty gym shorts that got stuck on my face. I walked out of the office and the first person I see is The Undertaker. He looks at me with shock, and it was so real because no one else was in on it except those people in the office.

They walked me out, and all the fans could see me and they drove me about a mile down the road, and got a call on the radio that they had to come back to pick up something. They turn around, come back, and everyone’s there with Vince in front of everybody laughing their asses off. Greatest rip in the history of the business, and for about 10 minutes I literally walked to a place in the building and started crying. I thought my career was over. I thought how can I tell my dad I got fired over a $10 football pool.”

This is amazing. It's not even a great wrestling rib. This is possibly an all-time great prank. Wow.

Someone should write a book on wrestling pranks. It would be pretty funny. Or a documentary in the vein of the Aristocrats.

The problem with Cowboy Bob is that we don't have a ton of footage of him pre-WWF. 

I would hope that as the network expands, we might see more of his mid-atlantic run. What I have seen of him reminds me of Barry Windham or (for a stranger comparison) circa 1995 Akira Taue. A big lanky guy that could sort of do everything well even when his build said he shouldn't.

I completely slept on Bob until I saw some early 90s IWCCW footage of him on one of those Kit Parker DVDs. He was so smooth and his timing was perfect.

Also, I've been watching some nWo-era WCW as of late, and I think Scott Hall's punches are fairly underrated.

I think we've known how good Scott Hall's punches are for like 20 years.

Don't forget when he wasn't being soft with the chops. Just ask Disco Inferno.

Still is the best thing what's his face has ever done.

Scott was so versatile it is kinda mind blowing to me. He would toss much littler guys around like sacks of shit; knew when to balance with guys HBK's size; and would bounce around for bigger fucks. He didn't just wrestler "one size fits all" like a lot of guys his size does. Such a perfect size for a gatekeeper too.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about it, and one of the reasons that always gets cited why WWE doesn't do a WarGames match is because they don't want to do a two-ring setup. Well, if you take into account that a WWE ring is 20x20, rather than WCW's 15x15, and that the Hell in the Cell cage also gives around 6-8 ft around the ring to fight, you could just do a Hell in the Cell match under WarGames rules and it wouldn't be much less room for 8 guys to operate...