DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

I'd think the biggest problem for former wrestlers, beyond their general employability, would be healthcare.

Hopefully, we are on our way to figuring that out.

That still does not negate the need for a union-- professional sports in this country all have unions, and you could make the same argument about their compensation being high enough to take care of themselves. 

Only team leagues to my knowledge have unions.  Sports based on individual athletes generally do not.

I'd just like to say here that Pro Wrestling Ego is the greatest name for an indy ever.

Been hearing they have good shows. But it is rare when they draw more than 30 people. The Great Southern 8 has been going on for 2 years now. He brings in 1 wrestler from 8 different southern states.

I demand to know if Tennessee was represented, and if so, who did the honors?

But no one seems to bitch about Sable anymore. If only I could put my finger on why.

I remember one of Sean Waltman's shoots where he confirmed the "pooping in Sable's bag" story but quickly told the interviewer to move on because he didn't want Brock hearing about it.

Apparently it's only OK to gloat about sexual harassment in the workplace when the woman in question isn't married to a scary MMA fighter who could kill you within about 20 seconds.

What if the TNA workers did decide to start a union? I think TNA would shut down and try to file for bankruptcy. TNA, I am sure, would take a page out of the whole Hostess standoff. Tennessee  is a Right-to-work state, which means that this new hypothetical union will not be from required to pay dues to TNA. Also, TNA would not be allowed to hire non-union workers. Here's the catch with TNA. If TNA decides to go The Hostess route, they will shut down and go to court. If TNA decides NOT to go The Hostess route, they will shut down and go to court. A union for better or worse will definitely kill TNA. If Dixie Carter passed up a reported 8-10 million dollar deal because she didn't want to get off of TV. She will let the company burn to the ground before she pays for Samoa Joe's knee surgery.

For some reason, I follow Serge Salanis (Dixie's husband) on twitter. Obviously his opinions aren't his wife's, but he's made enough complaints about fast food strikers and how "entitled" most people feel to give me a sense of what the mentality in that family is.

I'd just like to say here that Pro Wrestling Ego is the greatest name for an indy ever.

Been hearing they have good shows. But it is rare when they draw more than 30 people. The Great Southern 8 has been going on for 2 years now. He brings in 1 wrestler from 8 different southern states.

I demand to know if Tennessee was represented, and if so, who did the honors?

It was. I will look it up and see who the wrestler from TN.

Ok can't find who was the TN wrestler. But here is everyone that was in it.

Jeremiah Plunkett,

Barry Wolf,-Mississippi

Carl Jamar Wilson,

Jordan Kage

Jared Wayne.

Benjamin "Money" Cash,

Fred Sinister

Joe Kane.-Louisiana

Sugar Dunkerton-Georgia

Sugar won.

Jeremiah Plunkett,

Barry Wolf,-Mississippi

Carl Jamar Wilson,

Jordan Kage

Jared Wayne.

Benjamin "Money" Cash,

Fred Sinister

Joe Kane.-Louisiana

Sugar Dunkerton-Georgia

Sugar won.

When I saw Chikara live in Porterdale, GA, Sugar had a lot of family representation.

Jeremiah Plunkett,

Barry Wolf,-Mississippi

Carl Jamar Wilson,

Jordan Kage

Jared Wayne.

Benjamin "Money" Cash,

Fred Sinister

Joe Kane.-Louisiana

Sugar Dunkerton-Georgia

Sugar won.

When I saw Chikara live in Porterdale, GA, Sugar had a lot of family representation.

I have only seen him,Joe Kane and Barry Wolf. Kane is really good. He helped train lots of the MS and LA talent. Wolf has been around a long time now. He used to be in a great tag team "Whiskey Hangover".

On the Buff Bagwell Art of Wrestling he said he was making $750k when WCWs doors closed.

Bagwell is from the previous generation of wrestlers most definitely. He worked Global.

As somebody else said, many of the WWE low/mid card guys would be on much better deals if WCW existed and there would be a shit ton of guys in WCW making decent money - not least because that would entail another set of main-eventers and it's not completely impossible that Titus could have been one of those. A guy like Christopher Daniels would have probably spent some time in WCW and did better than he's done in TNA. 

While it's true that many do better financially than 2 generations ago (even with inflation), wrestlers didn't have anything like the travel schedules they have today. They just moved territory from time to time, and they had the luxury of burning the odd bridge to boot. The switch from business class to coach as ticketing for midcarders also happened about 10 years ago, some of the headliners fly business but not that long ago it was standard - that's a big change.

And lest we forget, it looks like PPV payoffs essentially just went bye-bye. 

Overall I'd say there are winners and losers. Guys who sell merch are definitely assisted by the global machine. Others...not so much I think.

The DDP burial has always stood out as weird

From everything I've heard, DDP's insane match planning rubbed people the wrong way.

Coming from a company that does walk throughs for entrances. Wrong guy for that angle period. Glad people forgot about it band he transitioned to positively a page quick.

Apparently, DDP also infamously gave Vince an overfamiliar big hug when he arrived in WWE. Which was then ribbed on by the Austin hugging Vince, and then others hugging Vince, and then Austin turning on Vince because their hugs were no longer special. I might ask Austin about that actually.

I'm currently watching Royal Rumble 97 on the Network and holy shit that's a big crowd for a not Wrestlemania show, specially pre 2001 when the whole "Huge Arena Wrestlemania" trend really stuck. I think it was around 60.000 in attendance for the Rumble.

What are other non WM PPVs with extraordinarily large crowds/arenas besides this and Summerslam 92?

I'm currently watching Royal Rumble 97 on the Network and holy shit that's a big crowd for a not Wrestlemania show, specially pre 2001 when the whole "Huge Arena Wrestlemania" trend really stuck. I think it was around 60.000 in attendance for the Rumble.

What are other non WM PPVs with extraordinarily large crowds/arenas besides this and Summerslam 92?

Cornette said that show was heavily papered. They sold 47,514 tickets (still impressive) and comped 12,511.

Around the 35 second mark he gives out the figures.

• Like 1

Attended the Smackdown taping last night.  Sat next to two of the type of wrestling fans I try so hard to avoid.  :(  They spent the entire time talking about how much better wrestling used to be, how every wrestler's father was better than the current-day wrestler, and generally showing off their "smarts".  I wanted to ask them why they spent more than $100 a piece on ringside tickets for a show they weren't going to enjoy...or to at least switch seats with me so that I could be in the seat right at the ramp.  

Worst part was shortly after a young kid sitting behind us was yelled at for standing.  The wrestler he was rooting for (I forget the match) kicked his opponent in the head and the kid yelled and cheered.  Dipwad #1 turns around and says, "He missed him."  I regret not telling him off right there.  Let the kid enjoy the show.  He at least starting leaving me alone when he eventually realized that my response to everything he said was going to be "I disagree".

• Like 2