DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

"Beat me if you can, survive if I let you" is the fucking best catch phrase.

Maybe my favorite promo ever is Taz after he took out Sabu for Douglas only to take the title shot. It was in NYC and the crowd went apeshit. Taz said beat me if you can and the crowd finished. Dropped the mic and walked out.
  • Like 1

You know, for years, that phrase has never really sense to me. If I can beat you, then clearly I survived, so does that mean if I beat you, you'll be so pissed that you might not let me survive? Well, then, who's a sore loser?

I used to think that, if it were actually TWO separate sentences, then maybe each independent declaration existed on its own. But nooo ...

I bet you try to parse meaning from Ultimate Warrior promos, too.

• Like 1

You know, for years, that phrase has never really sense to me. If I can beat you, then clearly I survived, so does that mean if I beat you, you'll be so pissed that you might not let me survive? Well, then, who's a sore loser?

I used to think that, if it were actually TWO separate sentences, then maybe each independent declaration existed on its own. But nooo ...

Will you provide sentence diagrams of famous pro wrestling catchphrases? I'd like to know the hidden meaning of "You either love it or you don't love it but it's the best thing going today." 

If you beat me, you beat me because you could... but the reason you had the chance to beat me is because I let you survive.

Also, it's possible that you could beat me (say, 1% chance)...  but I decided not to let you survive.

Admiral Nelson beat Napoleon's forces at Trafalgar and clearly he survived....

• Like 4

Admiral Nelson beat Napoleon's forces at Trafalgar and clearly he survived....

1) He had a genie helping him, 2) He was only an Major, not an Admiral

• Like 4

outside of Ox Baker, there weren't a lot of wrestlers with multiple fatalities inflicted

Ladue High School?  Ritzy!

Bray got to the bored rich kids and played on their nihilistic ennui.

Note: If I was one of these kids, I would already have an IMDB page set up for myself.

Monday Night RAW (tv series).........1993-2014

"He's Got the Whole World" (2014).......child cultist

• Like 5

That high school spoiling it and tweeting ahead of the show so they could hopefully get a retweet from Hugh Jackman was bullshit though.

those kids don't respect the business, back when they had wrestling at the chase, the children cultists kept kayfabe

• Like 10

well "what high school did you go to?" is apparently a common question in STL.

But a Twitter follow of mine at the Smackdown tapings (who is unfamiliar with the WWE) just asked if Kane was the Revolting Blob from Billy Madison

O'Doyle Rules!