DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Rollins is a better talker than he gets credit for and The Shield gear makes me take him more seriously than I ever thought I would. 

One idea for The Shield breakup that I like is building up to Reigns vs HHH, having Ambrose turn and essentially be given HHH's role as the active leader of Evolution. 

--An interesting note about the shows this weekend in Saudi Arabia is that women were prohibited from attending.  It would be the first all-male audience shows that I've ever heard of in WWE history.

Ugh.

"Nancy Grace is being BLACKBALLED by the WWE over the way she covered the death of the Ultimate Warrior ... with superstars (past and present) being warned stay off her show -- OR ELSE!

Grace most recently enraged WWE officials when she had Diamond Dallas Page on her HLN show and strongly insinuated that Warrior's death was the result of steroid and drug abuse.

In fact, she even brought a doctor on the show -- who never treated Warrior -- to speculate that steroids and drugs directly led to the deaths of scores of young wrestlers.

She even scrolled a list of names -- which included Owen Hart -- who died during a freak accident on the set ... which had NOTHING to do with drugs or 'roids.

Now, we're told WWE is circling the wagons to ostracize Grace -- and though they haven't sent any official memos, we're told there's a strong word going around the grapevine that anyone connected to the brand should STAY AWAY from Nancy if they wanna keep a working relationship.

... and that's the bottom line."

from TMZ.

How dare Nancy Grace insinuate that a death which has "caused by drugs" written all over it was, in fact, caused by drugs?

Oh, God. I just realized WWE has me defending Nancy Grace.  *hangs head in shame*

Well, even if you grant her Warrior...  Owen?

Putting Owen's name on the scroll was bad, but at least you could chalk it up to a production error/lack of research. A mistake, a stupid one, but still.

Personally I think WWE attacking her as a way to distract from the obvious fact that steroids and drug use did kill Warrior is a lot more deliberate and manipulative.

"Wait, yet another tragically young death due to steroids? Why does WWE still emphasize size and lots of muscles when these are the consequences?"

"Hey! Look over there! Nancy Grace is behaving like a fool!"

I get that WWE is a business and all, but I'm not sure the same company that celebrated Darren Young coming out should be running in places that openly kill people for being gay. And that's not even getting into the treatment of women. Stephanie is an empowered woman, but totally OK with promoting shows where women are literally banned from attending? (Wouldn't she be banned from participating as an on-screen character too?)

And come on, WWE has tons of money. You think missing out on a few of these places is going to break the bank? Of course not.

• Like 1

On the one Mick Foley dvd, he makes a joke about "I defy you to find a single woman in the crowd" for one of his ECW matches, and then the match starts, and there's at least on female sitting ringside.

It doesn't invalidate the point that the crowd was 98% male, but it made me laugh.

More on topic...  Yeah, that's the kind of show you cancel.  "Women aren't allowed to attend?  Fuck you, we're not coming."

There'd likely be at least a few western women/girls at the shows in Saudi. There's different laws over there for the locals and for foreign guest workers and their families. It'd be very unusual for them to start banning western women from a WWE event.

--An interesting note about the shows this weekend in Saudi Arabia is that women were prohibited from attending.  It would be the first all-male audience shows that I've ever heard of in WWE history.

Ugh.

So basically a Ring of Honor crowd.

95.gif

• Like 2

Per Meltzer, the Divas never go on these tours. UFC ring girls are apparently allowed, but I don't know what the deal is there (maybe something to do with the AUE company that bought 10% of the company a while back?)

• Like 1

Saudi is fairly moderate in it's Islamic laws as well. Hence WWE even being allowed to run there in the first place.

If executing gay people and actively opressing half the population to the point they can't even attend a live event is "moderate" I dread to think what "extreme" is.

• Like 2

"Nancy Grace is being BLACKBALLED by the WWE over the way she covered the death of the Ultimate Warrior ... with superstars (past and present) being warned stay off her show -- OR ELSE!

Grace most recently enraged WWE officials when she had Diamond Dallas Page on her HLN show and strongly insinuated that Warrior's death was the result of steroid and drug abuse.

In fact, she even brought a doctor on the show -- who never treated Warrior -- to speculate that steroids and drugs directly led to the deaths of scores of young wrestlers.

She even scrolled a list of names -- which included Owen Hart -- who died during a freak accident on the set ... which had NOTHING to do with drugs or 'roids.

Now, we're told WWE is circling the wagons to ostracize Grace -- and though they haven't sent any official memos, we're told there's a strong word going around the grapevine that anyone connected to the brand should STAY AWAY from Nancy if they wanna keep a working relationship.

... and that's the bottom line."

from TMZ.

How dare Nancy Grace insinuate that a death which has "caused by drugs" written all over it was, in fact, caused by drugs?

Oh, God. I just realized WWE has me defending Nancy Grace.  *hangs head in shame*

Well, even if you grant her Warrior...  Owen?

Putting Owen's name on the scroll was bad, but at least you could chalk it up to a production error/lack of research. A mistake, a stupid one, but still.

Nah, it's not a mistake. Any wrestler, referee, or anyone who has died is on her list. Back during the Benoit deal I was watching her and saw "the list". It had Andre, Joey Marella, and Jerry Blackwell on it. So I called into the show with the naive idea that they'd let me correct her. My thinking being, "Having that list be inaccurate takes away from the real life issue of drugs and steroids in wrestling."

I know, I know. 

Anyway, I get put through to the producer and I tell her my issue. She gets pissed and adamantly says to me "No, its ALL steroids."

I say, "Jerry Blackwell was a morbidly obese man, a giant fat man." and she says, "He probably got fat after he stopped taking the steroids, that can happen." So, they're aware that "the list" is bullshit and they don't care. And honestly, I realize now I shouldn't have cared, it's like writing into the Weekly World News to complain that there really wasn't a Bat Boy.

• Like 2

Saudi is fairly moderate in it's Islamic laws as well. Hence WWE even being allowed to run there in the first place.

If executing gay people and actively opressing half the population to the point they can't even attend a live event is "moderate" I dread to think what "extreme" is.

Try Iran.

Although it is fair to say that gay people are not treated well in many Islamic states, it is pretty hard to find concrete evidence that anyone has been executed specifically for being gay. They have crappy rule of law for the most part, that is fair to say. I'm pretty sure I would end up on forced vacation if I started talking about George Stinney or USA's capital punishment record or.....many other things. So beyond that, may I say nothing. But let's not pretend that USA (or the UK for that matter) has been this beacon of tolerance for a million billion years.

• Like 2

Although it is fair to say that gay people are not treated well in many Islamic states, it is pretty hard to find concrete evidence that anyone has been executed specifically for being gay. They have crappy rule of law for the most part, that is fair to say. I'm pretty sure I would end up on forced vacation if I started talking about George Stinney or USA's capital punishment record or.....many other things. So beyond that, may I say nothing. But let's not pretend that USA (or the UK for that matter) has been this beacon of tolerance for a million billion years.

The "Everyone else is just as bad" argument doesn't hold water for me because 1) It's not really true: US and UK don't have the best track records, but they're nowhere near as bad as Saudi Arabia 2) Really just seems like an excuse for companies to shrug their shoulders and continue taking blood money.

Yeah, the US had slavery 150 years ago. It was horrific. But what does that have to do with Saudi Arabia brutally oppressing women now? And why does it make the two comparable?