DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

It's 2014 though, there is not such thing as a true heel announcer anymore.   Nowadays, the audience is trained to think that the announcer is burying people if they speak ill of them.

Nah, you're putting super smark thinking onto all fans. Yes most everyone is "smart" these days, but most fans don't sit around talking about who is being buried.

Ross has a point. I don't want DQ's for punches and hair pulls, but it would be nice if the refs got in guys' faces a little more about that kind of thing. If punches to the face are okay, why isn't everyone just throwing them all the time? Hell of a lot more effective than a Euro uppercut or a chop to the chest - even if you throw a shitty punch, you're bound to swell up an eye or loosen a tooth. Pretending to enforce the rule just helps the internal logic of wrestling, which needs all the help it can get.

Ross has a point. I don't want DQ's for punches and hair pulls, but it would be nice if the refs got in guys' faces a little more about that kind of thing. If punches to the face are okay, why isn't everyone just throwing them all the time? Hell of a lot more effective than a Euro uppercut or a chop to the chest - even if you throw a shitty punch, you're bound to swell up an eye or loosen a tooth. Pretending to enforce the rule just helps the internal logic of wrestling, which needs all the help it can get.

But even then, there also has to be the other side. Some rules getting enforced, like punches and hair pulls, have just become so common in wrestling matches that calling them as illegal will do more to get heel heat on the referee for calling the violation (and holding it against one person) instead of giving heel heat to the person who tried it- which gives some heat, but not the traditional way.

"My contract was started midway thru the year last year but altogether with salary+appearances I was on pace for roughly $75,000-$84,000 for a year period. That’s if my schedule is as busy as it was last summer/fall. Also that’s only counting TNA. I’d make a lot more if I kept up with other bookings outside but I just don’t. I’m also guaranteed a huge chunk of that regardless of if I wrestle or not. So it’s pretty ok considering I do what I love. I’m on the low end on the roster too. Most guys do way better than me.” - TJ Perkins

I'm assuming TJ Perkins works 365 days a year. Man, this is some Hogan level of BS.

Re: JR

I think the people calling what he said are skipping over the fact that he asked why should we boo the bad guys when they never do anything bad? These assholes who try to be cool is ruining it. The faces are supposed to be likable and honest.

Dude, if you want to go down that road, then 90 percent of shit in pro wrestling is out the window. That's a conservative estimate. It's pro wrestling, not MMA/boxing/any shoot combat sport. I realize this is a tricky subject in pro wrestling, because certain things are done because they make sense from a psychological stand point, while other moves are just silly from the perspective of it being what would make sense in real life.

"Nancy Grace is being BLACKBALLED by the WWE over the way she covered the death of the Ultimate Warrior ... with superstars (past and present) being warned stay off her show -- OR ELSE!

Grace most recently enraged WWE officials when she had Diamond Dallas Page on her HLN show and strongly insinuated that Warrior's death was the result of steroid and drug abuse.

In fact, she even brought a doctor on the show -- who never treated Warrior -- to speculate that steroids and drugs directly led to the deaths of scores of young wrestlers.

She even scrolled a list of names -- which included Owen Hart -- who died during a freak accident on the set ... which had NOTHING to do with drugs or 'roids.

Now, we're told WWE is circling the wagons to ostracize Grace -- and though they haven't sent any official memos, we're told there's a strong word going around the grapevine that anyone connected to the brand should STAY AWAY from Nancy if they wanna keep a working relationship.

... and that's the bottom line."

from TMZ.

How dare Nancy Grace insinuate that a death which has "caused by drugs" written all over it was, in fact, caused by drugs?

Oh, God. I just realized WWE has me defending Nancy Grace.  *hangs head in shame*

I see Vickie in a blonde fright wig getting a new gimmick.

That would require her being rehired 

Vickie was let go? I thought she'd have a job there for life after Eddie died.

It sounds like she's done being full-time, but will be making occasional appearances.

I heard she left voluntarily to be with her girls more. Admirable.

"Nancy Grace is being BLACKBALLED by the WWE over the way she covered the death of the Ultimate Warrior ... with superstars (past and present) being warned stay off her show -- OR ELSE!

Grace most recently enraged WWE officials when she had Diamond Dallas Page on her HLN show and strongly insinuated that Warrior's death was the result of steroid and drug abuse.

In fact, she even brought a doctor on the show -- who never treated Warrior -- to speculate that steroids and drugs directly led to the deaths of scores of young wrestlers.

She even scrolled a list of names -- which included Owen Hart -- who died during a freak accident on the set ... which had NOTHING to do with drugs or 'roids.

Now, we're told WWE is circling the wagons to ostracize Grace -- and though they haven't sent any official memos, we're told there's a strong word going around the grapevine that anyone connected to the brand should STAY AWAY from Nancy if they wanna keep a working relationship.

... and that's the bottom line."

from TMZ.

How dare Nancy Grace insinuate that a death which has "caused by drugs" written all over it was, in fact, caused by drugs?

Oh, God. I just realized WWE has me defending Nancy Grace.  *hangs head in shame*

Well, even if you grant her Warrior...  Owen?

• Like 1

Wasn't it Nancy Grace who asked Konnan about Benoit's demotion from "The Four Horsemen to ECW" to which he just scratched his head and looked at the screen like "Huh?"?

I tried to find a picture or gif of it but couldn't.

Anyway, yeah, I doubt she does any sort of research at all. She probably just asked someone for a list of dead wrestlers.

Nancy does zero research.

This is more to the point. I watched an exchange between her & John (of "______ & Kate Plus 8") where she made some shitty comment about him having lots of money, based on his diamond earrings. He claims they're really cubic zirconium, to which Nancy then claims, snidely, "I don't care!" Well, bitch, you cared when it suited your shit-headed claims, but now it doesn't suit your needs you feign disinterest? That little exchange told me all I need to know about Nancy Grace.

Oh, and her claim that the "Blade Runner" was in his phone looking for "pooorn, Dan, POOOORN!" Look *that* up and feel your penis invert itself.

• Like 2

Random but relevant.

Man you know it is WILD that you really could compile a "Best of the Shield" DVD that would probably include close to 15-20 matches in the short time they since they have been called up. The day they break up will really bother me. But I know they have plans for Roman Reigns, just hope it isn't anytime soon man. And I hope when the breakup happens, I hope it isn't a nasty breakup. I hope it is a mutual split so they can occasionally see each other in trouble and they can leave the door open to a reunion. I never want to see these dudes beefing.

And the other crazy thing is how at different points of the Shield-era, there was someone that was viewed as "the man."
When they first came in, since Ambrose had the best mouthpiece, he was the man.
Roman Reigns's push put him out there as being the man.
But as of late, since they let Seth be himself more and more, he has been out there in the front of the line.

We are witnessing history man. Enjoy it while it is here.

• Like 2