DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Can you come up with any examples of good matches that he diminished by obviously not caring about or bad matches that he made more watchable because he cared enough to give some incredible commentary?

I don't know if it was a product of not caring, but one example of him hurting a match that springs to mind was Bryan/Usos vs. The Shield from SD last year where he and Cole spent the first 2/3 of it having an agonizingly circular argument about the Scott Armstrong situation. 

Roman Reigns: Chipotle. Love Chipotle. Could eat Chipotle like three times a day, for sure. I do the burrito bowl, black beans. Sometimes some rice, depending on if I just worked out. Triple chicken. That sets everybody off. They're like, "Whaaat? Triplechicken?" Cheese, the corn salsa and a big ol' scoop of the guac.

Give this man the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

RIGHT NOW. 

I lost it imagining him saying "Whaaat? Triple chicken?" 

I actually thought JBL was terrible in Brock/Taker.  Felt like he was giving away the finish, honestly.

If you thought he was terrible, fine, but he didn't even kind of come anywhere close to giving away the finish at all and it's ridiculous to say otherwise.

• Like 3

His commentary wouldn't have changed even if Undertaker went over, so I'm of the opinion that it was just JBL playing the heel announcer role and downplaying 'Taker (the face) and boosting the heel (Lesnar).

• Like 2

His commentary wouldn't have changed even if Undertaker went over, so I'm of the opinion that it was just JBL playing the heel announcer role and downplaying 'Taker (the face) and boosting the heel (Lesnar).

I assumed he went the route he did because he assumed (like we all did) that 'Taker going over was a certainty.

How was it ridiculous? He was all but declaring the streak over the entire match. He telegraphed Taker losing from about the halfway point on up.

Because the audience had always been trained to not believe the heel announcer and you know it.

For some reason I always wondered how WWE would've booked Rick Rude after his loss to Warrior?

He was coming across as alot more serious leading up to the cage match at SS and Heenan was moving away from managing so if he had stayed would he had turned face soon after?

For some reason I always wondered how WWE would've booked Rick Rude after his loss to Warrior?

He was coming across as alot more serious leading up to the cage match at SS and Heenan was moving away from managing so if he had stayed would he had turned face soon after?

Rude was being set-up for a feud with Big Bossman, and Bossman was having a hot run as a face (even replacing Tugboat as Hogan's second at SummerSlam) so Bossman was definitely winning that feud.  Either Rude would have just continued the downward slide and been just a random heel at WMVII (maybe wrestling Bulldog or Von Erich) or they could have pulled the trigger on a potential Rude-Perfect feud that seemed to be hinted at when Perfect accidentally eliminated Rude at the Rumble.  But the immediate plans were Bossman-Rude.

RE: Jesse Neal. Apparently the average Wal Mart wage is something like $18,000 a year. So if he really is making way more than he did in TNA...yikes.

He should be praised for moving on with his life, though. The people trashing him over this are cretins. Yeah, God forbid he doesn't want to end up like Virgil or Sunny and lurking around conventions or taking sexy photos with obese guys for $10.

But..he is a big guy and has tribal tattoos. Can't he be a bouncer or something? It's better than Wal Mart.

So was RandomAct really surprised when Daniel Bryan won everything after JBL said it was impossible?

There is a difference between obviously being the Authority shill/playing a character in one match and doing a poor job of building suspense in another.  I don't recall King and Cole feverishly going out of their way to come to Undertaker's side like they did for Bryan, to counteract what JBL was saying.

On Jim Ross's podcast with Robert Florez of ESPN, he made a great point. Why have the rules in wrestling so lax? Punches are allowed. Kicks with the front of the boot are allowed. Rules need to be stressed more because without rules, you undermine the role of the heels because they have nothing to break. I have heard him say this before but he was really passionate about this just now.

GO listen

http://podcastone.com/program?action=viewProgram&programID=619