DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

I was gonna say I can't recall a worse WWE announcing team this century than the current one, but earlier I was watching some shows from early 2012 with heel Michael Cole and Booker T... So the current crop, terrible as they may be, is actually an improvement on what they were trotting out previously.

I want Lawler gone as much as anyone, but he's the color guy, Renee isn't. It would be more likely to be JBL, which is a shame because I still like JBL, but Renee is better.

Lawler and JBL are equally terrible these days, but if I had to pick, I'd actually keep Lawler. His senior moments and recycled jokes are still preferable to JBL vehemently trying to get himself over in every segment. Nothing's worse these days then trying to watch a good match while JBL is desperately trying to pick a fight with Michael Cole about something that may or may not be related to whoever is wrestling at the moment. Renee and Regal need to replace both of those goofs yesterday, though. Albert and Riley can hold down the fort on NXT. Move JBL to the pre/post show panel where he can troll all he wants, and just send Lawler home with a legends deal or something.

Actually, I think the heel announcer concept is even worse than the heel authority figure concept as far as wrestling tropes go. Has anyone done it right since Ventura? The best wrestling announcers are the ones that play it straight and professional, or at least try to stay objective. Even JR (who really wore his heart on his sleeve) gave HHH respect back in the day. Could you imagine Skip Bayless calling NFL games? I'm not sure why wrestling hangs on to this backwards concept for live commentary.

JR was just dreadful the last few years of Austin. Whatever went on, he kept talking about Austin, and he sounded like Bobby Heenan circa Ric Flair WWF champ but in the least entertaining way possible, always complaining about it not being fair: "That's not RIGHT!" His commentary actually made me dislike Steve Austin because I was so sick of hearing JR drone on and on about him.  I don't think there's ever been a more biased announcer, honestly.

el Mundo de Los Luchadores: Admission
DC Fairgrounds • Washington, DC

Sunday, May 4 – 2:00PM

What you get

One GA or VIP Ticket to el Mundo de Los Luchadores
    Watch Live Lucha Libre!
    Enjoy Mexican Street Food, Live Music by Escarioka, DJ G-Flux Live, Mural Painting & More

Celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year by watching live lucha libre, or Mexican professional wrestling. See the glimmer of their colorful masks as wrestlers Pequeno Pierroth, Sangra de Aguila, Hijo de Dr. Wagner, and Hijo de La Park spin through the ring; smell the traditional Mexican street food; and dance to the beat of live music when you attend el Mundo de Los Luchadores -- the world of Mexican pro wrestling -- presented by Art Whino. Head to Navy Yard on Sunday, May 4 for a full day of excitement, including a Mexican-inspired live mural painting, an art exhibit that lets you get up close and personal with the masks of the luchadores, tropical punk music of Escarioka, and more.

Ticket offers available, based on purchase date:
• $15 ($40 value) for one admission when purchased between March 27 and April 14
• $20 ($40 value) for one admission when purchased between April 14 and May 2

OR

$50 ($100 value) for one VIP ticket, including:
• Aerial view of the ring
• Access to private bar, seating, and cocktail tables

https://www.livingsocial.com/events/cities/1-washington-d-c/1051819-el-mundo-de-los-luchadores-admission?ref=XUA0000COMJ000000000000ENUS0000000000000021052012&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=1225267&utm_content=3724478&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.1225267

15 minutes of heel manager Michael Cole was great.  2 hours of heel announcer Michael Cole was brutal.  

Same here. I could take him in small doses but listening to him constantly burying everything in front of him without a strong foil to contradict him was brutal. If you were a first-time or lapsed viewer tuning into the show at that time, all you would've heard is Cole telling you how stupid what was going on in the ring was, how boring everybody except The Miz was, etc. I consider myself a pretty die hard fan who can sit through damn near anything but I had a hard time watching during that period and would frequently just dvr shows, fast forward to matches I wanted to see and mute the sound or turn it waaaay down and put music on instead.

Heel Michael Cole was fun, when it started on the third season of NXT, especially that one time, when he brought a gong.

Once they brought the gimmick to the main shows, it went downhill very fast.

• Like 1

The problem isn't that Lawler is corny, it's that his corniness manifests itself as a series of one-liners that have no connection whatsoever to the show he's (barely) watching. At least when he shouted "Puppies!" there were breasts on the screen. Now he cracks jokes about wrestlers that have absolutely nothing to do with their characters or the storylines they're in.

My favorite thing about that SB Nation story is that when asked to name what US State they would buy - multiple wrestlers answered with a city.

Well, Road Dogg corrected himself immediately by noting that SLC is a city and Utah is the state it is in, so we're left with the black guy being the stereotypical uneducated guy who can't tell the difference between a city and a state with the added implied stereotype of black people loving pot since he named Denver. Darren Young is not a credit to his people in this story.

Yeah, what was I thinking?

In other news, apparently Bill Behrens is now taking indy bookings for Daniels and Kazarian,

They have to end up in Global Force right? I mean there's no chance of them ending up in WWE and they'd be a very positive signing for GFW.

• Like 1

All wrestlers are fucking obsessed with Waffle House, Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings like there are no other fucking places on Earth to eat after a show.

The ones I saw always went to Dennys, but then California has very few 24-hour places outside of the big cities.

My favorite thing about that SB Nation story is that when asked to name what US State they would buy - multiple wrestlers answered with a city.

Better than Rey-Rey answering "Definitely a ribeye".

ROH announces they're going to be on actual PPV for $25 and the internet responds "I dunno man, that's like 2 1/2 months of the Network"

WWE officials must be over the moon happy with that.

• Like 2