DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

I still think the death of Vince was going to be a great angle.  That ending was so perfect, the way he walked out to the limo with the hangdog look on his face past all the wrestlers looking upset (Except for that doofus Paul London) then the limo exploding.  I mean, anyone with half a brain knew he wasn't dead (And, yes, I know that people called the police and wanted to sell stock and the like, but that's the annoying stupid loud minority) and that there was no way he could BE dead even kayfabe-wise because it would be impossible to keep all mentions of him off of WWE TV/press conferences and stuff so I think it would have been really fun to have a Tribute Episode with heels sucking up to Vince and Stephanie and faces running him down.  Then eventually you would have a Vince return, hopefully with massive beard and toenails like Howard Hughes, to confront his killer(s).

Then eventually you would have a Vince return, hopefully with massive beard and toenails like Howard Hughes, to confront his killer(s).

Years later and the IWC is still dreaming about Vince and his hobo army.  The company's actual gimmicks should enjoy such longevity,

I still think the death of Vince was going to be a great angle.

Do you think it was going to lead to world champion Mr. Kennedy? If so, how could that be incorporated into a great angle?

Yeah, that's the part that makes me think the angle would have fizzled.  Supposedly, the plan was to reveal Kennedy as Vince's son, turn Kennedy and Vince face when Vince returned from the dead, and build to a feud with Kennedy vs. the McMahon's handpicked "champion" .  

Wasn't Orton rumored to be the opponent for Kennedy in that feud?

I still think the death of Vince was going to be a great angle.

Do you think it was going to lead to world champion Mr. Kennedy? If so, how could that be incorporated into a great angle?

Yeah, that's the part that makes me think the angle would have fizzled.  Supposedly, the plan was to reveal Kennedy as Vince's son, turn Kennedy and Vince face when Vince returned from the dead, and build to a feud with Kennedy vs. the McMahon's handpicked "champion" .  

Wasn't Orton rumored to be the opponent for Kennedy in that feud?

Wasn't that the other storyline that fizzled out: Vince's illegitimate son angle which they had abort because of Kennedy's failed drug test? It wasn't a part of the Death of Mr. McMahon angle, was it?  I think the logical conclusion to the Death of Mr. McMahon was for it to be Triple H/Stephanie with them trying to usurp power over WWE from Vince, personally.

The son deal was tied in, wasn't it? I thought Kennedy was going to be accused of killing his biological father, but because of the weirdness(Sherri died too), they scrapped it and went with Hornswoggle to put smile on faces.

It's possible I just condensed two years into two weeks.

Wasn't that the other storyline that fizzled out: Vince's illegitimate son angle which they had abort because of Kennedy's failed drug test? It wasn't a part of the Death of Mr. McMahon angle, was it?  I think the logical conclusion to the Death of Mr. McMahon was for it to be Triple H/Stephanie with them trying to usurp power over WWE from Vince, personally.

Depends on who you ask or what you believe.  Around the time of everything that happened, the rumblings were that the original Vince is Dead storyline would lead to Vince having an illegitimate son, that son would be Kennedy, and there'd be warring McMahon factions trying to take control of WWE; until Vince came back as a babyface with Kennedy.

Instead, the Vince is Dead storyline was cut short, Vince admitted he faked his own death, then found out in August that he had an illegitimate son... presumably to be Kennedy again, but Kennedy got suspended, and it ended up being Hornswoggle.

Also, all of this was in the summer of 2007. 

June 11 was Vince blowing up,

June 25 was the Benoit tribute RAW,

August 6 was Vince coming back to say he faked his death to see who cared about him, walking back to his limo the same way he did in June, but getting the summons from Coach about having an illegitimate kid,

August 30 was the dozen suspensions (including Kennedy)

September 3 was Kennedy saying he was the son, but the lawyer saying he wasn't (and then vanishing for his suspension)

September 10 was Hornswoggle being revealed as the kid

Mongo worked hard and was pretty good for someone who started so late in life. My favorite Mongo bit was when he just brained Goldberg with a pipe and took back his Super Bowl ring. 

Mongo was decent, but I think what hurts how people remember him are two things: first, that his color commentary isn't fondly-remembered, and two, that he started out wrestling with and against Kevin Greene, who ended up looking better than Mongo. I think people kind of see a binary where there needn't be one - Greene was pretty good for a football player, and Mongo wasn't as good, so he gets described as "bad" or "the lesser of the two."

Mongo worked hard and was pretty good for someone who started so late in life. My favorite Mongo bit was when he just brained Goldberg with a pipe and took back his Super Bowl ring. 

I remember that, mainly due to watching it on PPV with some friends.  The attack happened off camera, and they go backstage to Goldberg out cold and face down in the back.  One of our friends says "Wow, that body looked a lot like Goldberg".  We all stare at him trying to figure out what he's talking about, and he argues that it has to be a fake, because WCW wouldn't fly Goldberg to the PPV, have him hanging around all day, and get in his gear just to lay down backstage for a couple seconds.

"It just doesn't make sense!!!"

• Like 1

Oh Lord - lets not start up this ridiculous MONGO = SUPER WORKER~! thing that cropped up a couple of years ago around these parts

Word, this just doesn't seem real to me. It seems like people are just putting over below average workers and seeing if everyone else is stupid enough to run with it.

• Like 2

His timing on his three point stance shoulder tackle was impeccable, Rippa. I would say he's in the Top 5, three point stance executors ALL. TIME.

How were his facials after executing the three point stance tackle?

• Like 1

Heh, I have been lurking here a fairly long while, but I don't remember that. For me, I went back and watched Nitro in the mid-'90s a few months ago, and I was surprised that Mongo was decent for what he was instead of flat out sucking, which is how I remember him. I'm sure sometimes "better than I originally remember him or her being" sometimes gets hyperbolically turned into "hidden gem of a super-worker."

Besides, I firmly believe that the super-worker of Nitro for '95 and '96 was Dean Malenko. 

His timing on his three point stance shoulder tackle was impeccable, Rippa. I would say he's in the Top 5, three point stance executors ALL. TIME.

I say Nay Nay!

Duggan, Norton, Steve Williams, Ron Simmons, LT, Reggie White and Kevin Greene's 3 point stances were all better. And I have to assume at some point folks like Wahoo, Bronko and Ernie Ladd did them and I am damn sure they were better.

I remember that for a while my memories of Mongo got a little foggy and i thought that he didn't use to be THAT bad.

But then he appeared at a TNA show as a special guest referee and seriously couldn't do a simple three count correctly to save his life, that cleared everything up again.