DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

His character in the horsemen was kind of fun. Until the match started.

I honestly thought his arthritis must have been awful considering his hands were stuck in the "4" sign permanently.  Konan would agree with me.

So I was watching Halloween Havoc 92, and boy are the last 3 minutes or so of Austin/Williams v. Dustin/Windham frustrating. They build this fantastic match for 27 minutes, and then it has a false finish with an extra ref and the illegal man gets pinned. So we restart the match. Almost immediately there's another 3, the bell rings...and we just ignore it and go to a time limit draw. I've never seen such a disappointing set of circumstances ruin a great match before.

True, Mongo was the drizzling shits in the ring but he was tremendous as an obnoxious heel.

Too bad he was supposed to be a babyface.

How many guys have been horrible in the ring yet so tremendous as a character and over with the fans that they totally deserved at least a secondary title push despite being unlikely to ever have a good match unless being carried by a vastly superior worker?

I still don't see how the Davey gif the hive mind obsesses over is any worse than the million other fighting spirit spots I've seen. Davey hits the superplex and rolls through, hell they pretty much bounce up. Then Eddie has his fighting spirit moment and reverses and sends them both to the floor.

The Davey hate is so played out.

Here's the thing: There is no struggle. If Davey tried to hit a second superplex, Eddie fought him, and the reversed it... I could give that a pass. But there's no fighting in this 'fighting spirit' spot. There's just "Superplex, get up, other guy hits a suplex." That, to me, is the problem, more than the sequence of moves itself. You can do "fighting spirit" spots, or "social dance" sequences... but when you combine the two, that's when things really fall apart.

True, Mongo was the drizzling shits in the ring but he was tremendous as an obnoxious heel.

How many guys have been horrible in the ring yet so tremendous as a character and over with the fans that they totally deserved at least a secondary title push despite being unlikely to ever have a good match unless being carried by a vastly superior worker?

Some may think I'm trying to be a snarky prick with this answer, but honest to God, I've gotta say Goldberg. If we're talking strictly guys who never ended up with a World title, then I'll have to rack my brain a little further.

I absolutely love this video. I posted this on reddit a while back, but got no responses beyond the usual goofing on Diamond Dave "skibbity bop bop"-etc. Great insight from a guy who, in another life, would've made a tremendous heel manager.

Every time that someone says "fighting spirit" I want the dude with the "anime is for jerks" sig to post immediately afterwards. Oh how I'd laugh.

You have no idea how much of an internal struggle I went through about using "fighting spirit" and "social dance" in that post. Even with the scare quotes, it felt... dirty.

Honestly not trying to be a dick, but this pretty much describes Ultimate Warrior.

Just got a link through my facebook feed that made me smile enormously.

hxttp://www.wwe.com/videos/playlists/exclusive-interviews-with-michael-cole (delete x)

Click on the Paul Heyman interview. Watch the first minute. See if you don't smile enormously too.

This is so tremendous. Heyman is so so so so good, and Cole works with it too.

And big ups to cubbymark for putting us back on track with a Davey Richards debate. The DVDVR Krewe is unto a unkindness of ravens, and DRichards is the shiny glittering bauble that can ever so easily distract us, and we love it.

Hugging!,

RAF

• Like 1

I still don't see how the Davey gif the hive mind obsesses over is any worse than the million other fighting spirit spots I've seen. Davey hits the superplex and rolls through, hell they pretty much bounce up. Then Eddie has his fighting spirit moment and reverses and sends them both to the floor.

The Davey hate is so played out.

Here's the thing: There is no struggle. If Davey tried to hit a second superplex, Eddie fought him, and the reversed it... I could give that a pass. But there's no fighting in this 'fighting spirit' spot. There's just "Superplex, get up, other guy hits a suplex." That, to me, is the problem, more than the sequence of moves itself. You can do "fighting spirit" spots, or "social dance" sequences... but when you combine the two, that's when things really fall apart.

That's why I get really frustrated with 200 pound indy geeks watching Kobashi matches and just saying "Oh, that shit looks cool" without taking even 2 seconds to think about WHY someone like Misawa or Kobashi were doing the shit in the first place and how it made sense in a match.  Much like Rick James, they (mostly) didn't just do shit just to be doin' it.

I'll say this for him: he fit better in the Horsemen than Paul Roma.

I liked Mongo as a Horesemen. He was perfectly fine in the Lex Luger spot of the group.

There was an awkwardness to him that was almost amusing, for about 2 minutes, but that's doing a real disservice to Luger.

I've said it before about the DR/EE superplex spot, but that isn't even in the Top 5 silliest bits of that match. Psychology around superplexes has been dumb for 20 years.

Every time that someone says "fighting spirit" I want the dude with the "anime is for jerks" sig to post immediately afterwards. Oh how I'd laugh.

You have no idea how much of an internal struggle I went through about using "fighting spirit" and "social dance" in that post. Even with the scare quotes, it felt... dirty.
I'm all for you 2 wordsmiths coming up with something new to call the fighting spirit spot. I totally understand if you hate the spot but the term doesn't seem that crazy when so many other corny insidery terms are thrown around.

WWE News: Notes on Monday's Raw

Thursday, 10 April 2014 23:03

Monday's Raw TV show from Birmingham will be a tribute show for Ultimate Warrior.

Credit: f4wonline.com

How many RAW's were tribute shows? By my count: Owen Hart, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Ultimate Warrior.