DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Can we build to a Punk/AJ wedding at SummerSlam this year and redo the "Mega Powers" over the following year with Punk and Bryan eventually going at it at Mania 32?

Not enough likes in existence for this.

Maybe if we go back in time since that's what people wanted two years ago when Punk was a babyface and Bryan was with AJ and they were feuding, right before they inserted Kane into things. 

The CM Punk return practically writes itself at this point:

Bryan wins the WWE Championship at WrestleMania, Punk returns the next night and says that Bryan took HIS spot. Punk is the internet darling, he's the one that the people wanted but when he left, people just jumped over to Bryan.

Bring up their past in ROH and you have a post-Mania jealousy feud.

Watching WM24 today - just have to say Flair/HBK is the most overrated match of the last 10 years. So many old man botches, Flair sucking wind the entire time. Good finish, great emotion, and good showing for the old dog at the time, but not an objectively good match. By comparison, HHH/Orton/Cena 3-way is damn good and way better than I remembered. Much better match than Flairs.

"Mikey Whiplash"

Didn't work too hard on that name, did he?

Neither did his tag partner Yoshihiro Bajiri or their manager Slim Mitchell.

Oh man that cracked me up, but I'm out of likes.  Bajiri had a sick feud with Super Hazy.

Then they tagged and took on Rob Van Gram and Fabu

I so want fan art of these two.  RVD with more weed and a sparkly Sabu.

• Like 1

Watching WM24 today - just have to say Flair/HBK is the most overrated match of the last 10 years. So many old man botches, Flair sucking wind the entire time. Good finish, great emotion, and good showing for the old dog at the time, but not an objectively good match. By comparison, HHH/Orton/Cena 3-way is damn good and way better than I remembered. Much better match than Flairs.

Silliness.

• Like 3

Silliness.

The problem with this is 'objectively good match' can't just mean 'technically sound' in our beloved sport of fake drama fighting. Of course Ric Flair wasn't capable of having the best match of his career that night- this was all about story and emotion, which you point out was great. It was pro wrestling's version of the relationship montage in Up.

I guess I just don't agree that these things are separate or that one is less valuable than the other. 

• Like 1

I was thinking back to when I watched Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena from SummerSlam 2013 in the early hours of the morning as the show aired and how shocked I was with the ending, Bryan drilling Cena with THAT knee for a clean win and the WWE Championship.

Another of mine was John Cena making Triple H tap out to the STFU at WrestleMania 22. The camera did well catching fans faces of disbelief to it.

Which match endings surprised you?

WM 20's main.

Which match endings surprised you?

I was surprised when Eddie beat Brock for the title, since I was convinced they were waiting till Mania to do the switch.

Good calls.

Can we build to a Punk/AJ wedding at SummerSlam this year and redo the "Mega Powers" over the following year with Punk and Bryan eventually going at it at Mania 32?

Not a Punk fan, but the thought of him hitting Bryan with the WWE Championship while yelling YOU GOT JEALOUS EYES makes me want to give whoever would be in charge of that more of my money. 

Silliness.

The problem with this is 'objectively good match' can't just mean 'technically sound' in our beloved sport of fake drama fighting. Of course Ric Flair wasn't capable of having the best match of his career that night- this was all about story and emotion, which you point out was great. It was pro wrestling's version of the relationship montage in Up.

I guess I just don't agree that these things are separate or that one is less valuable than the other. 

I can recall a couple of matches with Dusty Rhodes and Superst*r Billy Graham that were off the charts for emotion; and let's face it, neither of those guys is exactly Tanahashi in the ring.  So, when you get right down to it, a technically bad match can actually be pretty enjoyable.

Silliness.

I can recall a couple of matches with Dusty Rhodes and Superst*r Billy Graham that were off the charts for emotion; and let's face it, neither of those guys is exactly Tanahashi in the ring.  So, when you get right down to it, a technically bad match can actually be pretty enjoyable.

Yeah, Dusty Rhodes is no Tanahashi *does the jacking off motion*

• Like 3

I'll take an emotionally driving match over technical masterpiece all of the time.

They're not necessarily mutually exclusive, but yeah.

That's kind of the point. They shouldn't be mutually exclusive. The idea is that great wrestlers can use the moves and spots and holds and selling to create an emotionally driving match.

I'm not sure what "technical" means. Does it mean an abundance of moves or holds? Does it mean crisp execution, even if the match is just a punch-fest? 

Anyway, Rock/Hogan I is probably one of the best examples of the match being amazing but the work not being beloved; however, I think the work all makes sense. There isn't much other than punches, rakes, weight belt shots, and finishers, but each one is done at the right time and Hogan's facial expressions and selling in particular are AMAZING in this match. I'd say that this match is great in this regard, but would that be at all defined as "good technical wrestling?"

I'll take an emotionally driving match over technical masterpiece all of the time.

They're not necessarily mutually exclusive, but yeah.
If a match makes me cry, it's fucking awesome. Technical stuff be damned at that point. It's only happened like 3 times, but Michaels/Flair produced the most blubbering.

Oh, and Shawn Michaels did an Asai Moonsault to a table.