DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-31-14 - WM Go-Home Show

MGFanJay

The recent trend of "my wife, who wouldn't watch wrestling to save her life, glances at the screen when (x) happens" being used as a predictor of future trends is idiotic. If you died today your wife would never have to look at wrestling again and she'd be happy about it.

• Like 3

The recent trend of "my wife, who wouldn't watch wrestling to save her life, glances at the screen when (x) happens" being used as a predictor of future trends is idiotic. If you died today your wife would never have to look at wrestling again and she'd be happy about it.

But if some poster with a wife who likes Roman Reigns died today, that would mean one more single woman in the world who is amenable to watching wrestling.  Some guys would be lining up to "console" her, especially if her dead husband leaves her a lot of wrestling memorabilia.

• Like 2

No they're the "casual female audience" WWE is is so trying to capture. And by "casual" I believe everyone here means "casualty" because that's what they feel like everytime you guys make them watch it.

Spoken like a man who has never been with a woman. My wife was overjoyed to discover that The Main Event was on so we could watch three nights a week instead of two. I'm sure that we watch for entirely different reasons, but the point is that she watches.

No they're the "casual female audience" WWE is is so trying to capture. And by "casual" I believe everyone here means "casualty" because that's what they feel like everytime you guys make them watch it.

Spoken like a man who has never been with a woman.
Did you not read my above post about the Reigns false dichotomy?

But if some poster with a wife who likes Roman Reigns died today, that would mean one more single woman in the world who is amenable to watching wrestling.  Some guys would be lining up to "console" her, especially if her dead husband leaves her a lot of wrestling memorabilia.

Struggling to keep the smile off her face at her husband's funeral, and then dirtying up the bedsheets before he's even cold in the ground!  How dare she!

Spoken like a man who has never been with a woman.
Did you not read my above post about the Reigns false dichotomy?

Sorry, missed that amid all of your nonsensical babble, starting with the fingerblast post.

Some women fucking LOVE wrestling. I'm not married to one of them, but they're there. Why are we debating this?

Because Antacular seems to think that this is an impossibility.

No, I said how hot a wrestler is deemed by a fema-, I mean, girl (or guy) to be used as a barometer of how successful they will be down the road is absurd. But I used to feel myself up to Zack Ryder, so what do I know?

I've never considered myself to be the best at what I do (I saw evilclown once troll Scott Norton off a messageboard, and Dank has done beautiful work in the past) but I can sure as shit say that OSJ is the worst I've ever seen. Hard to rank OSJ above wildpegasus to be honest, at least he was amusing.

Anyway Triple H was unreal. Haven't seen him bump like that since before the first quad tear.

• Like 1

My wife asks for Roman updates and she hates this shit.

Post a picture of Reigns on a female-centric blog/message board that's not into wrestling, and the followers will be interested.  And that interest doesn't turn off once they learn he's a wrestler.

Some women love wrestling and will watch, no matter what.  Others get into it if a guy goes mainstream.  Reigns has a shot at doing that.

I've only been to a handful of WWE/Indy live events, but at none of them did I see a row of girls attending with their friends. Any girl at these things are with their sigothers, who all have dicks attached (as far as I could tell).

Without the accompanyment of the D&Bs, 99.99% of those girls wouldn't know Daniel Bryan from Mark Henry.

This is one of the most popular wrestling message boards, and out of the hundreds of posters here, there are THREE females. THREE. THERE'S your "casual female audience." Clearly these are numbers WWE needs to reach.

No, I said how hot a wrestler is deemed by a fema-, I mean, girl (or guy) to be used as a barometer of how successful they will be down the road is absurd. But I used to feel myself up to Zack Ryder, so what do I know?

I will leave the snark aside in the interest of fair play and rational discourse. Certainly how "hot" a wrestler is deemed by the female audience is not the ONLY barometer of how successful they will be, but as Burgundy and my wife both pointed out, it's an important component to mainstream appeal. For the sake of discussion here are some factors that I consider to be important in a wrestler getting to the superstar level:

Charisma: One either has it or one doesn't, Reigns has it in spades.

Ring work: I don't care how much charisma you have, if you stink up the joint you ain't getting over.

Mic Work: Not exactly the same as charisma, for the former I point to LA Park and the Great Muta. Neither said a word but got over like a million bucks. However, being articulate and being able to get your talking points across in a compelling way is huge. Reigns is a bright, articulate guy; all that's missing right now is the right catchphrase.

Sex Appeal: Reigns is not a pretty boy that the male audience hates on. Guys respect him, women think he's hot.

Mainstream Publicity: I don't care how good your press people are, if the media doesn't want to talk to someone they won't. Major newspapers in two eastern cities have recently done articles on Reigns. (Washington DC and Boston).

Age: Reigns is 28 and has been wrestling only four years, granted it's in his genes, but the fact remains I can't think of anyone other than Dustin Rhodes who came so far, so fast.

Movie work: Hasn't happened yet, but no reason to think that it won't.

Merch mover: Hasn't happened yet, but I'm not much of a wrestling figures collector and other than a few lucha guys from Arena Mexico the only ones I have are Superst*r Graham, El Samurai, and Roman Reigns. That's fairly illustrious company in these parts.

I leave anything out?

I've never considered myself to be the best at what I do (I saw evilclown once troll Scott Norton off a messageboard, and Dank has done beautiful work in the past) but I can sure as shit say that OSJ is the worst I've ever seen. Hard to rank OSJ above wildpegasus to be honest, at least he was amusing.

Yet you respond to my every post. 

This is one of the most popular wrestling message boards, and out of the hundreds of posters here, there are THREE females. THREE. THERE'S your "casual female audience." Clearly these are numbers WWE needs to reach.

And you are sure of this how?

• Like 2

You're right. Until we get a selfie from BLR, I'm hesitant to include her. So 2. Two female posters.

I will leave the snark aside in the interest of fair play and rational discourse. Certainly how "hot" a wrestler is deemed by the female audience is not the ONLY barometer of how successful they will be, but as Burgundy and my wife both pointed out, it's an important component to mainstream appeal.

No it's not. Almost the entire roster is relatively attractive one way or another. And the one who lacks such a look is currently the most over guy on the show.

You're right. Until we get a selfie from BLR, I'm hesitant to include her. So 2. Two female posters.

I will leave the snark aside in the interest of fair play and rational discourse. Certainly how "hot" a wrestler is deemed by the female audience is not the ONLY barometer of how successful they will be, but as Burgundy and my wife both pointed out, it's an important component to mainstream appeal.

No it's not. Almost the entire roster is relatively attractive one way or another. And the one who lacks such a look is currently the most over guy on the show.

Look I like Daniel Bryan as much as the next guy, but are you really going to suggest that he has appeal outside the WWE fanbase? Perhaps you'd like to list the movies he's starred in?

D-Bry 1 Reigns 0

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Vince would be hesitant to put Roman in the movies since we all know what happened to the last big Samoan star that went into movies. He came back years later and totally sucked.

Does that Wrestling Road Diaries that he and Colt made count? :>

Not really. I will give him appearances on Total Divas, but that's still a wrestling-centric product.