DVDVR Message Board

Steam Summer Sale 2013..

So yeah - Civ 5 is back on sale at 75% off but now I am sitting here going "maybe I should just say fuck it and buy all the expansions for it"

Even though I have never ever played a Civ game in my life.

I am an idiot

So yeah - Civ 5 is back on sale at 75% off but now I am sitting here going "maybe I should just say fuck it and buy all the expansions for it"

Even though I have never ever played a Civ game in my life.

I am an idiot

As someone who's logged over 110 hours* into Civ5, allow me to help!

Civ5 is probably the best place to start at this point. It is, aside from the 360 version, the closest they've come to sitting down and explaining what the hell. And I don't know if you need the new expansion (have only finished one game so far, not sure how to feel about it) but the Gold Edition package is worth having, on account of including all of the DLC civs they put out as well as the Gods & Kings Expansion, which fixes every deficit in Vanilla Civ5. And it's like $12.50 right now. So do that, and then if you're way into it, get Brave New World.

*I play it while I listen to podcasts, if I'm not doing some kind of labor.

• Like 1

I just did a culture victory with the Shoshone in Brave New World and it was great. I don't know if the DLC is the right deal at $30, it's certainly enjoyable though... but $12.50 for the gold edition is great value.

Right after I posted my message - I saw the Gold Edition deal and jumped on it.

I enjoy that it supposedly will take 8 hours to download. Stupid internet.

The other game I will now be on the lookout for is Crusader Kings II... at least I think that is the one that 7 keeps pimping

Right after I posted my message - I saw the Gold Edition deal and jumped on it.I enjoy that it supposedly will take 8 hours to download. Stupid internet.The other game I will now be on the lookout for is Crusader Kings II... at least I think that is the one that 7 keeps pimping

I can second or third the Crusader Kings II love

I add my love for Crusader Kings 2.  Between Steam and Amazon you can frequently find it for $10 or less.

So far I've managed to only spend  $6 this sale, which is some kind of record for me.  Being broke helps.

I add my love for Crusader Kings 2.  Between Steam and Amazon you can frequently find it for $10 or less.

So far I've managed to only spend  $6 this sale, which is some kind of record for me.  Being broke helps.

I ended up getting Rogue Legacy at 20% off. I should probably have waited but fuck it, I just wanted to play it.

I ended up getting Rogue Legacy at 20% off. I should probably have waited but fuck it, I just wanted to play it.

I continue to be patient, but only because its a game I'm entirely okay with paying full price for.

My patience was rewarded, and I picked up the last bit of Skyrim DLC (Dragonborn) for half price a few days ago.  I'm amazed at how much MORE there is to it, in comparison to Dawnguard, which just adds what feels like a handful of quests and items for the same price.  Dragonborn truly feels like a proper expansion and less a mere DLC.

Apparently it's got a lot of shout outs and references to Morrowind, too, which go over my head as I never played it.