DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-24-14

MGFanJay

Manganiello looks like a giant sized Hugh Jackman. Oh, and I'm absolutely loving that usually when actors punk out wrestlers there's a contingent of folks whining about it. But I guess since it was Miz, then it's ok. Fuckin' hypocrites. :)

It was wise of them to keep Joe Manganiello in a hoodie instead of a short sleeve shirt or something.  That fucker is ripped.  He and Miz already looked like they were miscast in the wrestler/actor roles as it is. 

And I love Arnold.......I really do.  But a poofy haircut with a receding hairline like that is questionable.  Buzz cut, brother. 

Can’t complain about a show with three great matches: John Cena vs. Luke Harper, Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins vs. Cesaro/Jack Swagger and Christian vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio. I was disappointed reading the previous week’s Smackdown spoilers that Cena/Harper didn’t get time. Thankfully this did, it was the Match of the Night and one of the best matches this year. I didn’t mind there wasn’t a clean finish as it produced the awesome visual of a seated John Cena tied in the ropes by his arms wearing Rowan’s sheep mask as the Wyatt Family looked at him.

• Like 1

Can't believe the people complaining about Lesnar selling for Undertaker.  We're talking about a character that has literally risen from the dead on numerous occasions and people are bitching that it's not realistic for him to beat up Brock?  Come on, people.  It's pro wrestling and in that realm the character of the Undertaker is far more badass than Brock is really.

When did Arnold Schwarzenegger start melting into James Caan?  Joe Manganiello had the best mic skills of anyone in that segment, and people should be more bent out of shape over Miz selling for him than Brock selling for Taker.

Seemed as though we were being led to believe that live action Sin Cara and Scooby Doo have shared all the same adventures that ANIMATED Scooby and Sin Cara shared in this movie.  How exactly does that work?

4-way match was great.  Seemed like 4 guys that are relegated to a battle royal at Mania trying to show that they should have gotten a match on the show.  Poor, poor Del Rio.  

HHH mocking the WWE Universe for tweeting him their displeasure was rich.  I think they have done an amazing job of redeeming themselves with this main event storyline.  Perfectly layered between the Authority vs. Daniel Bryan/WWE Universe storyline as well as Evolution EXPLODING, and perfectly tempered with all the real-life factors that contributed to their current booking.  Creating the perfect ultimate underdog scenario at Mania for Bryan to overcome.

If Bryan wins, anyone see major parallels between Manias X, XX, and XXX?  They all seem to be WWE conceding to their fans and putting over a smaller and more technical worker than they would necessarily usually put over.  Bret had to wrestle 2 matches to win the WWF Title at WMX, Benoit had to wrestle in a Triple Threat vs. HHH and his buddy to win the strap at WMXX.  Really seems like a 10 year cycle repeating itself.

You'd think they'd actually learn the lesson at some point

Obviously noone wants Daniel Bryan to go crazy, and certainly not....y'know, but I suspect grumpy, bitter future Daniel Bryan could be better value than grumpy, bitter CM Punk.

Speaking of grumpy and bitter, I am not sure Nigel McGuinness will be happy to see someone use the Rebound Lariat on WWE TV in a way that actually made sense (well, Ambrosense).

That Shield vs Real Americans match was really off the charts great. I'm sure I came off like I didn't like Ambrose during that Okada March Madness shebacle but that couldn't be further from the truth. He's gotten extremely good over the past couple years. I wonder if there is anyone he'd credit in his development. Who are the main agents right now? Rollins as well. That segment where he hit the back to back dives was some of the hottest offense ever. His celebration after hitting the second dive read as legit "I fucking love my job!!"

Cesaro as great as he is was overshadowed here.

Undertaker looked in way better shape then when I last saw him. I wonder if we don't see him more postMania.

The thing that makes the Shield great is that they offer something for everyone within that group- I'm lower on Reigns than much of the board- but he's got a real presence and is over, while Ambrose and Rollins are two of my bigtime faves right now.   The last group I can think of that had this in any way shape or form was the Freebirds with Roberts/Hayes/Gordy all being different yet equally valuable.

10 more years of the Shield, please.  Seriously, they're like the one reason I keep watching every week.

• Like 1

Manganiello looks like a giant sized Hugh Jackman. Oh, and I'm absolutely loving that usually when actors punk out wrestlers there's a contingent of folks whining about it. But I guess since it was Miz, then it's ok. Fuckin' hypocrites. :)

You mentioned punking out wrestlers, but then mentioned Miz getting punked out. I am confused.

Also, why was Hornswoggle wearing a wallet chain in the ring with Hogan and Marshall's friend from law school?

Everyone is saying Taker will win you guys.

BUT WHAT IF BROCK SHOOTZ ON HIM? IT IS THE REALITY ERA NOW GUYS.

So fucking Rybaxel is getting the tag title shot? Real Americans stuck in the battle royal?

I'd book the Real American in a handicapped match against Sheamus. Swagger gets "injured" about 45 seconds in, and all of the sudden Cesaro finds himself in a match against a former World Champ at Wrestlemania was zero gameplan. They tear it up (because they can). Sheamus can get the win, but Cesaro gets to kick out of one Brogue Kick. Afterwards, Sheamus shows respect. Cesaro is made.

Damn, they really went out their way to make sure you knew RAZOR RAMON was getting inducted not that Scott Hall character.  Haha, no WCW clips.  Anyway, Razor's theme is still top 5 of all time.  That bass...

The announcement of AJ/Naomi at WMXXX got a pop out of me. And then Cameron was added, and then The Bellas, etc. etc. etc. It just got worse and worse with each announcement. WWE could have had something special on their hands with AJ/Namoi at WMXXX and I dare say it would have been the Divas equal to Savage/Steamboat from Mania III.

Mickie James vs. Trish Stratus from WM 22 is the Savage/Steamboat or the high watermark for Diva matches at Mania.

I believe AJ and Naomi would surpass that match if given the same amount of time Trish and Mickie had.

I realize that since WM16, WM has just become a payday for the majority of the roster. That doesn't mean a man can't dream. I can't say that I am a fan of putting everyone (whether they are over or not) on the Mania card as it makes Mania (in some ways) feel like an extended Raw/Smackdown. WM should be the only PPV where being over with the crowd and being a good perfomer should matter. Being a WWE contractor shouldn't automatically put you on the road to WM. Again, I hoped WWE was going to pull the trigger on the match, but quickly realized as soon as The Bellas were mentioned that we are living in a post WM 16 world where everyone gets a payday and WWE has no faith in the current crop of Divas doing a one-on-one match at WM.

With Axle and Ryback now out of the Andre Battle Royal - according to WWE.com this is who is in (4 spots remain)

Dolph Ziggler

Intercontinental Champion Big E
Fandango
Alberto Del Rio
Damien Sandow
Titus O'Neil
Christian
Sheamus
Big Show
Mark Henry
Heath Slater
Jinder Mahal
Drew McIntyre
Cody Rhodes
Goldust
Kofi Kingston
The Miz
Brodus Clay
Darren Young
Justin Gabriel
Rey Mysterio
R-Truth
Santino Marella
The Great Khali
Zack Ryder
Sin Cara

Hey! remember when they were going to elevate the IC title again? Good times...

You watch, Sandow will win this, as the payoff to his slow burn, and we'll marvel as the #You'reWelcomeMovement starts to catch fire and Damien Main Events WrestleMania next year against Dolph Ziggler!

My theory is that Zack Ryder was in the Scooby-Doo costume since it was the only way he was getting on Raw again.

I did hope that AJ and Naomi would get a chance to steal the show, but realistically they wouldn't have gotten enough time to do so at Mania.  Save the one-on-one match for the next PPV or a good slot on Raw where they'll get the time to build a good match.  They could be the next Trish/Lita feud in a few years.