DVDVR Message Board

New Japan "Invasion Attack" on 4/6/14 (now with Results!)

Kevin Wilson

And the results from Stu at puroresufan:

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson © beat Kota Ibushi & El Desperado (11:47) when Matt pinned Desperado after the More Bang For Your Buck (3rd defense).
2. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba beat Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo & Taichi (9:39) when Sakuraba used the Sakuraba Lock on Taichi.
3. NWA World Tag Team Title: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima beat Rob Conway NWA & Jax Dane NWA © (10:36) when Tenzan used a moonsault press on Dane to become the 75th champions.
4. Wrestling vs. Jiu-jitsu MMA Fight: Daniel Gracie & Rolles Gracie beat Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka (6:56) when Daniel used a cross kneelock on Iizuka.
5. Special Singles Match: Ryusuke Taguchi beat Prince Devitt (12:03) with the Dodon “the end”.
6. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI beat Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga (8:43) when Okada used the Rainmaker on Tonga.
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii © beat Tetsuya Naito (17:45) with a brainbuster (1st defense).
8. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows © beat Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata (18:31) when Gallows pinned Goto after the Magic Killer (2nd defense).
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura beat Hiroshi Tanahashi © (26:49) with the Boma Ye to become the 8th champion
  • Like 1

NJPW Invasion Attack 2013 was a terrific show and one of the best shows from a great 2013. Have to say this show isn't doing much for me on paper compared to that and on it's own even though I really liked the two previous Tanahashi/Nakamura matches at Wrestle Kingdom 8/the first of the two New Beginning shows this year. We're going to have three in quick sucession. I'd have preferred something less samey.

Yeah this card isn't the greatest. But still both tag title matches should he good and I'm sure Tana vs Nak will deliver yet again.

Using Sakuraba as guy in a random 6-man seems like a total waste. I love the guy but he's not really lighting New Japan on fire.

In Sakuraba's defense, isn't he approaching Fujiwara age?

Damn he isn't that old :P  He is only 44.  A better comparison would be that he is a year younger than Masakatsu Funaki, who made the 'transition' back to pro wrestling a lot better than Sakuraba did.

hope this doesn't mean Ishii is dropping the title already (unless it's only so he can go on the challenge for the IC or something). 

that Gracies match sounds so bad I might have to actually watch it. maybe Iizuka will abandon his evil ways for one night and turn back into the Yamazaki-style shooter guy of his youth?

• 2 weeks later...

Results are up.

- Surprised that the Gracies are still around and winning, I have no idea where that is going.

- I don't where they are going with Nakamura/Tanahashi, now do they have to wrestle again so Tanahashi can avenge his defeat?

I am sure the event will have some good matches, but I dunno, just seems like a lot of re-tread.  Hopefully they start going into a new direction going into the spring.

Because I haven't watched (with Tanahashi going down though, I certanly will!), has anyone gotten the context that AJ is getting the next shot because Okada is pissed about the attack, or did Fale hand his shot to AJ because AJ is the one with an actual believable chance to beat Okada?  I can't find a story translation for it,

Because I haven't watched (with Tanahashi going down though, I certanly will!), has anyone gotten the context that AJ is getting the next shot because Okada is pissed about the attack, or did Fale hand his shot to AJ because AJ is the one with an actual believable chance to beat Okada?  I can't find a story translation for it,

Most of the stories I've seen just talk about their shared TNA past and how AJ was a main eventer and Okada was a nothing.

Both of those were awesome.

Nakamura vs Tanahashi from this week was the best of their recent matches. I thought the other Nak/Tan matches from 2014 were kinda sloppy and overrated - especially the New Beginning match. 

Naito/Ishii from this week might have been their best one from this year. Although I haven't seen their recent New Japan Cup match. Either way, it's worth a watch. 

Both of those were awesome.

Nakamura vs Tanahashi from this week was the best of their recent matches. I thought the other Nak/Tan matches from 2014 were kinda sloppy and overrated - especially the New Beginning match. 

Naito/Ishii from this week might have been their best one from this year. Although I haven't seen their recent New Japan Cup match. Either way, it's worth a watch. 

IMO:

Tanahashi/Nakamura: 4/6 > 2/9 > 1/4

Ishii/Naito: 2/11 > 4/6 > 3/15

Thank you. I'll try and watch them.

I watched the iPPV and outside of Naito/Ishii and Tanahashi/Nakamura, I thought the show was awful.

How did those two matches compare to their other matches this year? Thanks.

I thought Tanahashi/Nakamura was easily their best this year. I have Naito/Ishii on equal footing with the 2/11 match. I can't really pick a winner there.