DVDVR Message Board

All the other Fallout stuff

For you guys starting the New Vegas GOTY edition, here's a little trick I've learned (for Xbox at least - I don't know if you can do it for PS3). When the console starts reading the disc, hold down both LB and RB as well as X and keep them held down until after the Bioware logo shows. Doing this clears the virtual memory cache and on a recent playthrough I did, it ran much better than in the past. I've also heard that if you notice it starting to lag, if you wait 7 days in the same spot using the wait function and that should help too but I haven't tried that out.

As far as the DLC you can play any of them in any order but I would reccomend Honest Hearts first. You can bulldoze through the main quest fairly quickly and you get a nice set of armor as well as collecting a couple nice weapons along the way (look for all of The Survivalist's caches too). After that, the other 3 are all loosely connected and if you want to play them in canonical order it would be Old World Blues, Dead Money and Lonesome Road. To be honest though you really don't need to play them in that order, there's no benefit to it. I would actually suggest you guys skip Dead Money altogether. You don't get any neat new weapons or armor and it is frustrating as hell to play. The only upside is that if you do it just right you can walk out with a bunch of gold bars that will fetch you a shit ton of caps.

For you guys starting the New Vegas GOTY edition, here's a little trick I've learned (for Xbox at least - I don't know if you can do it for PS3). When the console starts reading the disc, hold down both LB and RB as well as X and keep them held down until after the Bioware logo shows. Doing this clears the virtual memory cache and on a recent playthrough I did, it ran much better than in the past. I've also heard that if you notice it starting to lag, if you wait 7 days in the same spot using the wait function and that should help too but I haven't tried that out.

As far as the DLC you can play any of them in any order but I would reccomend Honest Hearts first. You can bulldoze through the main quest fairly quickly and you get a nice set of armor as well as collecting a couple nice weapons along the way (look for all of The Survivalist's caches too). After that, the other 3 are all loosely connected and if you want to play them in canonical order it would be Old World Blues, Dead Money and Lonesome Road. To be honest though you really don't need to play them in that order, there's no benefit to it. I would actually suggest you guys skip Dead Money altogether. You don't get any neat new weapons or armor and it is frustrating as hell to play. The only upside is that if you do it just right you can walk out with a bunch of gold bars that will fetch you a shit ton of caps.

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering which of the DLC's to try first. I went through the bulk of the main quest but now I'm going to do a bunch of side quests/DLC's to level up and get better armor and weapons.

Actually I meant Obsidian, not Bioware. When you boot it up the Bioware logo will be first, followed by Obsidian. Hold LB/RB/X until the Obsidian logo is gone.

Anyone have any tips on handling the game freezing all the damn time? It happens way more than in FO3. I read that turning off the Auto Save helps. Anything else? Also, I had Rex as a companion and now he's not around but people react to me sometimes like he's there.

Dunno what to tell you cuz I have 360. Try waiting for 7 days in game, and check google to see how you can delete the virtual memory cache

I googled ways to fix it and deleting the cache and turning off auto save seems to help. For whatever reason, going to Camp McCarron always slows my game down. I guess maybe the monorail?

Possibly - other thing to do would be to delete and re-install game data.

I had to do that when skyrim shat the bed whenever I went into water...

Doing that and clearing the cache has helped a ton. Freezes a lot less now and I even have two companions; Cass and Arcade. Boone got pissed at me when I did a Legion mission. I also just murdered the entire Brotherhood of Steel. I went and stocked up on all of this armor piercing ammo but once I got there, all I had to do was hack the computer terminal that had the turrent control and that took care of them.

Are you playing a modded version? I didn't think you could have 2 companions unless one of them was Rex.

Not that I know of. I got a used disc from Gamestop. I think it's the Game of the Year edition that comes with all of the DLC's. I tried recruiting Veronica when it was just Boone and me (I had idolized status with the Brotherhood of Steel at that point) and she wouldn't come with but Arcade came with me after I recruited Cass.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you playing a modded version? I didn't think you could have 2 companions unless one of them was Rex.

I think I know how I got to have 2 companions. I had to go get Cass for the Van Graffs but instead of letting them kill her, I killed them. So even though she's my companion, I didn't recruit her through the normal means which meant I was free to get Arcade. What sucks is that for whatever reason I can't start up Arcade's side quest. I've even dismissed Cass (she's waiting in the Lucky 38) but I still can't get Arcade to give me his quest even though I've gone through the triggers (going to the old Vertebird, going to REPCO and a couple of others).

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Lonesome Road because it actually lets you leave to unload all the shit you collect. One bit of advice on it, before going into the final confrontation with Ulysses (you'll know when it's coming), save your game and check your reputations. Depending on who you have the best reputation with (NCR, Strip, Ceasar) determines which boosts the piece of armor you get at the end of it will have.

If you have the highest rep with NCR you get +1 Endurance and + 25 carry weight

Highest rep with the Strip gets you +1 Agility and +30% Radiation Resistance

Highest rep with Ceasar gets you +1 strength and + 15 action points

There's also a fourth possible duster you can get. If you have a reputation of neutral or below with all 3 factions you will get one that grants you +1 luck and +30% poison resistance. 

If any 2 of the reps are tied, the game will settle the tie in this order: NCR/Legion/Strip

Personally I like the Strip duster, because when paired with another item you will come across in Lonesome Road it gives you a super high rad resistance.

Some info about the ending  (spoilered just in case you want to wait to read it)

If you pass the speech tests and don't kill Ulysses, he will help you fight off the marked men that attack you at the end. He'll also appear at the entrance of Lonesome Road and can teach you how to make stuff/will give you ammo and supplies he finds. As far as the bomb goes, be aware that if you select both NCR and Legion, you will pretty much be public enemy number 1 to both factions and will not be able to go on the strip without being attacked

Lonesome Road is pretty fun so far. The Deathclaws are a huge pain in the ass b/c they can kill you with one or two swipes. I guess it's ok though b/c in Fallout 3, I was really unimpressed with how something so big and scary could get taken down so easily so it's cool that they upped the difficulty on them.

I probably have the highest rep with the Strip. I'm idolized by both (I think anyway) but I've done more stuff on the Strip.

My favorite thing about Fallout 3 before the Mothership Zeta DLC changed it was finding the ludicrously overpowered Alien Pistol and using it to turn Deathclaws into piles of ash.

My favorite thing about Fallout 3 before the Mothership Zeta DLC changed it was finding the ludicrously overpowered Alien Pistol and using it to turn Deathclaws into piles of ash.

I have a flare gun now and it's fun to light them on fire and shoot them in the back while them run away like little girls.