DVDVR Message Board

All the other Fallout stuff

Since Fallout 4 is out, it's given me the itch to go and play one I hadn't gone through yet.  I hadn't fully finished Fallout 3, but I'd gotten most of the main story done and aside from one or two of the DLC.  And I had New Vegas Ultimate Edition on PS3 (got it for really cheap not that long ago) and that was despite knowing the issues it has.  I hadn't had many problems with Fallout 3 on PS3, aside from it occasionally being sluggish.. and the only thing I encountered that was a bummer when I first started out on NV for a bit was the Johnson Nash glitch in Primm.  But I'm at Freeside, doing some of the missions for the King, Garretts and Van Graffs and holy shit does this thing slow down to nothing at random times.  I go through the gate outside of Freeside (to go to the Mormon Fort) and everything just crawls.

I'm assuming, should I eventually get a better PC, that most of these problems can be taken care of with mods and such? 

Apparently doing well, for the most part, performance-wise with New Vegas.  Get a few hours, then it slows, so I save and quit and continue another day.

Enjoying everything about this game, except for the deathclaws.  I don't remember them being as big of an asshole in Fallout 3.  Was at Nellis doing that Lady in the lake thing for Loyal.  I traveled out the way I came, past Raul's hut, then I was going to make a beeline for the Brotherhood Shelter (since I hadn't found it yet).  I go near the railroad entrance.  Kill a lone deathclaw, then there are like four to five more of them.  Holy shit.  A whole pack.  I've got Veronica and ED-E in tow.  Got killed before them.  Second chance, I go south of it and folllow the road, I'm looking around.  Almost near the Shelter... hear stomping and panting.  Look around and FUCK, there was one, then another young deathclaw.  I make it past those, then two more come out.  One knocks the robot out of commission, the other knocks Veronica out.  I wound up being able to down both of them after my companions were basically distractions.  And while I'm waiting for both to wake up, it's intense.  I keep looking around, because I KNOW there was more over the hill by the entrance to that railroad tunnel.. and as soon as they both wake, I gun it to the shelter to take a breather for a bit before I go to the bomber.

What are the best weapons for killing these bastards?  I had a light machine gun (which I thankfully got thanks to destroying some Black Mountain mutants), I bought a Gauss Rifle from the Brotherhood store, just because why not?  I generally use Maria for nuisances (mole rats, rats, etc), Cowboy repeater for bigger nuisances.. and I had bought the GRA Battle Rifle, which is pretty fucking great for the most part. Have the Tri Beam laser rifle and that one rifle you can find at Repconn HQ.  and a 10mm Submachine gun, just because.

Also, if you do Lonesome Road dlc, get a flare gun. If you hit a Deathclaw with it, it will run away from you and then you can quickly switch to another high damage weapon and get some free hits while it's fleeing.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...