DVDVR Message Board

All the other Fallout stuff

Since nobody ever started one from when the board crashed. Some talking points:

Fuck Ghoul Reavers in 3. Fuck whoever is responsible for them having what seems like a million hit points.

How would you rank the DLC for 3? In order I would say The Pitt, Point Lookout, Broken Steel, Mothership Zeta (though I really do like all 4)

Has anyone ever made a mod for the PC version of 3 where some of Liam Neeson's "Taken" dialogue was dubbed in?

For all the new features New Vegas added that I liked, I hated how you only got a perk every 2 levels. That's bullshit.

New Vegas also fails miserably in the big name voice actor department. We went from Liam Neeson to a barely awake Matthew Perry?

How would you rank the New Vegas story DLC in order? I'd say Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Honest Hearts, Dead Money

I think I had started one for the "Fallout 4" thing that turned out to be a hoax, but yeah.

I wish these damn games weren't so buggy. I love the hell out of them still, but I can't think of a major series of games that has had as many issues as the Fallout series.

I loved fallout 3, loved it to bits. Loved using the vats tech...loved the incidental stuff: "have you guys ever seen...a tree" always kills me. Tried to be as nice a guy as I could when playing through. May have to revisit and play as a bastard, see where that takes me.

I tried playing F:NV two or three times. Could never get behind it. Always felt too buggy and disjointed for me. Plus I didnt like the faction warfare as much as other people seemed to.

Fallout 3 is probably my favorite game of the PS3/360 gen.  I really didn't care about the actual storyline as much as just running around seeing what I would randomly run into.

NV was barely playable for me.  I got through it, but it was amazingly frustrating. 

Cozadores can kiss my ass.  I hated those things in NV even more than Reavers in 3.  With Reavers I would either shoot out their knees to slow them down and then finish them off with the shotgun or shoot them 3 times and then target a weaker ghoul for my last shot and hope Grim Reaper Sprint would kick in.  I never did find a good way to deal with Cozadores.

Best way to deal with cazadores is to avoid them until you're much stronger, then load up on antivenom and make sure you use it as soon as you get stung.  Companions help big-time, too.  

I actually prefer New Vegas to 3, but that's only because I played it first, probably, and it's quite a bit easier (I'm not very good at it) what with your companions never actually dying.  It's definitely buggy (For instance, if you don't buy the shovel in the first town you begin in and just kill the shop owner, you can never seem to buy another shovel ever again, and, thus, cannot dig up any graves) but, to me, that also sometimes adds to the enjoyment.  For instance, when you recruit Veronica and go through the whole part where she wants to get in with the Followers of the Apocalypse,

you meet them, they tell you to come back, and when you do they've all been slaughtered by Brotherhood of Steel guys.  But, when I played, we met them, I killed them all, came back, and they were still dead, and the Brotherhood of Steel guys were there and Veronica yelled "What did you do?!" and I was laughing and going "Uh, we killed them, remember?" Then, for no apparent reason, the Brotherhood guys fled, then came back, walked in the front door and went "How's it going?"Just slayed me.

I also dug the fact that NV was a little bit lighter in tone, with some genuine silliness and light-hearted things, moreso than the very, very grim #3.

I've come around to loving #3, though.  Just recently started a new game and forgot just how massive the world is.  The Republic of Dave and the vault with the Gary clones are still my favourite.  My brother and I will occasionally go "Haha, Gary" which results in a "Ahhhh Gary" response.

Maybe that's my problem - I never use companions in Fallout, or Elder Scrolls for that matter.

I actually found 3 to be easier than NV - aside from Reavers of course, who were much easier to kill in NV.  partly that was due to the insane advantage Grim Reaper's Sprint gave in 3.  That plus rolling around the Capitol Wasteland with Ol' Painless, Lincoln's Repeater, the Terrible Shotgun, the Reservist's Rifle and the unique Chinese assault Rifle (forget the name of that) meant there were very few things that were a real threat to me after a while.

NV did provide the wonderfully creepy ways of getting through some things, especially if you used a female courier.

I've come around to loving #3, though.  Just recently started a new game and forgot just how massive the world is.  The Republic of Dave and the vault with the Gary clones are still my favourite.  My brother and I will occasionally go "Haha, Gary" which results in a "Ahhhh Gary" response.

Love it.

Maybe that's my problem - I never use companions in Fallout, or Elder Scrolls for that matter.

I actually found 3 to be easier than NV - aside from Reavers of course, who were much easier to kill in NV.  partly that was due to the insane advantage Grim Reaper's Sprint gave in 3.  That plus rolling around the Capitol Wasteland with Ol' Painless, Lincoln's Repeater, the Terrible Shotgun, the Reservist's Rifle and the unique Chinese assault Rifle (forget the name of that) meant there were very few things that were a real threat to me after a while.

NV did provide the wonderfully creepy ways of getting through some things, especially if you used a female courier.

I like followers early on in the game so they can be my pack mules while I stockpile stuff to sell. Once I build the caps up, I prefer going solo so they don't screw up the quests.

Fuck Ghoul Reavers in 3. Fuck whoever is responsible for them having what seems like a million hit points.

Not just fuck the Reavers but fuck those rednecks in Point Lookout who only have to hit you with a shovel like three times to kill you even if you're wearing Hellfire Armor and blasting them over and over again with a fully repaired combat shotgun.

I'm usually sorta positive with a whole bunch of negatives.  I...I just can't help myself.  LIke playing through #3 again, I saved that pitiful town with the fugitives from Little Lamplight and didn't enslave Red to give her to the slavers (Though I did steal her sweet bandana) which was good, but I also sold out the android dude to his old boss because it seemed like a fun thing to do, then felt really bad about it afterwards.

I've finished the main quest and all but two of the side ones. The one I'm going to start when I get home is the alien one. I started the Aiding the Outcasts one but it was pretty boring in my opinion so I'm likely going to skip it.

• 1 month later...

I loved Fallout 3.  Hated New Vegas. 

I always go the Postive / Good route in Bethesda games.  Hated that it was implimented that way because I enjoyed the moral ambiguity in Fallout and Fallout 2.

Once your Pickpocket and Stealth skills are so good that you can slip live grenades and land mines on Enclave troopers at will, the game becomes trivial.

I encountered no problems with Ghoul Reavers that a Sniper Rifle and plenty of explosives couldn't fix.

The VATS system was full of so much win...

I always go the Postive / Good route in Bethesda games.  Hated that it was implimented that way because I enjoyed the moral ambiguity in Fallout and Fallout 2.

One reason I liked The Pitt DLC was that it was kind of a morally ambiguous choice whether or not to give Ashur's kid to the slaves once you find out they're going to kill it to cure the mutations and that Ashur wants to stop the mutations and get rid of slavery. He's still a dick for instituting it in the first place.

I hated New Vegas because it was so bug riddled at launch it was unbelievable.  By the time patches started coming out, I lost interest.

FO3 destroyed so much of my time, but in a good way.   It was Morrowind all over again where I spent hours finding odd bits of junk to decorate whatever place I was using as a safehouse at the time. 

WHY CAN'T THIS FUCKING BASEBALL GLOVE JUST SIT FLAT ON THE SHELF~?

I think I had six or seven places to crash in addition to my house in Megaton.  Most of them were Raider or Slaver nests I'd cleaned out.

Pencils, paperweights, and shit to put on my desk was worth its weight in caps.  I was elated when I found my first Nuka-Cola toy truck.  I seduced Bittercup solely to get my hands the random items she'd scavenge for me every 24 hours.

HOLY SHIT, A SPORK~!

Was browsing for clearance games in Toys R Us last month and saw the PS3 GOTY Edition of Fallout New Vegas. Now it was the 90's when I last played a Fallout game, think it was the first one, so I purchased the game on a whim.

I cracked the seal on the case about 10 days ago and so far I've logged 50 hours of gameplay.

I love it. This game has made me put GTA V on the shelf for a rest. Will be picking up the GOTY Ed. of Fallout 3 soon.

Best way to deal with cazadores is to avoid them until you're much stronger, then load up on antivenom and make sure you use it as soon as you get stung.  Companions help big-time, too.  

I actually prefer New Vegas to 3, but that's only because I played it first, probably, and it's quite a bit easier (I'm not very good at it) what with your companions never actually dying.  It's definitely buggy (For instance, if you don't buy the shovel in the first town you begin in and just kill the shop owner, you can never seem to buy another shovel ever again, and, thus, cannot dig up any graves) but, to me, that also sometimes adds to the enjoyment.

Because of this thread, I made sure to get the shovel as soon as I could.