DVDVR Message Board

Eff Ewe to my old high school for winning championships now, but couldn't be bothered to win games for years on end when I was a student.  Yeah, I didn't care then and I don't care now, but it's the principle of the matter, dang it all!  In recent years, they've been three-time state champs in boys' basketball and the football team just won the state championship yesterday.  Good for the kiddies who play, but where was this commitment to excellence centuries ago when I walked 27 miles uphill both ways to that one-room house for learnin'?  We went two whole years without winning a football game in my time.  Now, they're the freaking Miami Heat of high school sports--not one, not two, not three. . . I sense a conspiracy.

• Like 1

Eff Ewe to my old high school for winning championships now, but couldn't be bothered to win games for years on end when I was a student.  Yeah, I didn't care then and I don't care now, but it's the principle of the matter, dang it all!  In recent years, they've been three-time state champs in boys' basketball and the football team just won the state championship yesterday.  Good for the kiddies who play, but where was this commitment to excellence centuries ago when I walked 27 miles uphill both ways to that one-room house for learnin'?  We went two whole years without winning a football game in my time.  Now, they're the freaking Miami Heat of high school sports--not one, not two, not three. . . I sense a conspiracy.

See, this goes back to my high school football point from before!

Actually, maybe part of my resentment there is that my school only got good years after I left. On the other hand, I take a sick pride that my college had a great fencing team and no football team. 

Not enough to warrant cursing, but man I feel like I wasted the last three months of my life and possibly the last five years. One more semester of school and then I get a piece of paper. This isn't something nearly as tragic as cancer or a dying loved one. Not as morally reprehensible as a hit and run.

My internship said I'm average and I know my supervisor was a perfectionist who rarely spoke to me but I still feel stung by it. I showed up early everyday, I only had to miss one day due to my paying part time job refusing to give my a day off when I had to go to my internship and I notified them four days early of it and rescheduled, yet I was graded average in being on time with minor attendance issues. I did my assigned work and sought out anything more they would have me do. I was apparently immature for not laughing at all his jokes that weren't really jokes. Why bother going any further in my chosen field? I have no close friends to speak to so I have to spill my guts on a message board dedicated to my favorite hobby I get mocked by my friends and family for liking. F this life, I hope every year things get better and I try but I feel like I slide back down into futility every year. 2013 sucked, no single tragic event but a steady stream of suck. I go to a crummy small university and my degree won't mean Bo Diddley. At least I will not graduate with any debt but I keep hoping one thing would just go my way for a change. Why try anymore, honestly, why?

It is a very lucky few who go through life with things going exactly how they hoped and planned they would. It really kinda sucks that it's like that, but it is. You may feel like everyone else has their shit together, and you can't catch a break (and I don't mean to invalidate those feelings), but trust me when I say there are tonnes of people in your shoes. I don't want to say anything trite like things will work out in the end, but things generally do. You might not get what you envisioned for yourself, but that doesn't mean you won't be happy, and it certainly doesn't mean you should give up trying. And, in the meantime, continue to spill your guts here if it makes you feel better.

• Like 1

Know the feeling.  Started as a computer science major.  Overloaded myself one semester and switched to mass communications on the whim of getting into radio.  Didn't find anything of note for about a year after graduating(bachelor's degree), went through broadcasting school and finally got a radio job in my area.  Unfortunately, that turned out to be a dead-end and now I have no idea where to go with my life as far as careers go.  There aren't many jobs in the radio field and I've thought a lot about going back to school...once I have a bit more breathing room as far as my debts go.  :P

FUCK YOU to shithead co-workers. Idiot can't get her key to the office to work. Bitches about it constantly. SIX OF US CAN OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR WITH HER KEY, but not the dipshit. I showed her exactly how to do it (insert, wait for beep, turn). She still can't figure it out, and is still loudly blaming the key. The snowman decoration on my desk was almost tossed at her damn head this morning.

• Like 1

Also, there will never be "a cure for cancer" the way people think of it, because cancer isn't just one disease, it's a massive class of them, that will likely each need their own cure.

I keep holding out hope that somehow sharks being immune to cancer might actually lead to some kind of meaningful breakthrough.

Fuck me for killing your hope with links like this and this.

Regardless, I'd still elect to become part-shark if I had the chance.

Fuck my job situation. I hate my job, but I'm making more money than I ever have. And I just haven't been able to leave myself that kind of security for something that makes me happy. This is how people get stuck here for 30 years...

• Like 1

Allow me to share with you MY high school.  See, it closed down a few years ago and the city abandoned it.  Just left all the shit there - records, trophies, memorabilia, everything.  Didn't bother to put any security on it so thieves have stolen a ton of copper piping.  There was recently a flood in the basement that FILLED OUR SWIMMING POOL.  Our 9-lane, 25-yard swimming pool.  TWICE.  It took over a week to pump all the water out. and there might still be water in there.  Meanwhile the school board refuses to let our alumni association go into the building to try and recover stuff.

So, yeah, at least your high school is still open and your school board isn't actively shitting on your alma mater.

Yeah, my high school is still there, though if the previous superintendent had gotten his way, it would have closed. 

To say there's no money in the county would be an understatement of massive porportions.  He closed one high school and scattered the kids across the three remaining areas, because they insisted they couldn't get funds to build the new school the students needed at least 20 years ago.  He gave no consideration to travel times for the students and only through a lot of work was that town allowed to keep the K-6 portion of the school open. 

He was about to go after my alma mater but with it being the first recognized school in the county and with more people complaining this time around, he got some blowback. 

He's not in office anymore--he decided not to run for re-election and AFAIK, the school will stay open.  The kids in the area are already in bad shape, now the guy in charge goes around not even trying to schools open.  The hell.

Too bad about your school, Tabe.  That's messed up.  What would it hurt to allow alumni to go in and get trophies and whatnot?  What gets me is that 10 years from now, those same board members will say how sad it is that your school has no persevered history.  At which point, they should be kicked often and repeatedly.

Hey, now, my high school has won a total combined 0 regional titles in all team sports combined (a wrestler did win a regional championship once) much less any state titles.

I did play on the only conference champion football team in school history (and 2 out of the 4 teams to qualify for the state playoffs...)

It's important to remember where I come from so you can have the proper perspective: my hometown is the same city that turned down an offer of $30m for the Pontiac Silverdome so they could sell it for $583,000 instead.

FUCK YOU to the publisher, or whomever sets the price for books upon release, of "The American Presidents" series. I'm a huge fan of presidental biographies, especially of lesser known presidents, and these have been some of the best books I've read on the subject. But the pricing is insane. $11.99 just for an e-book download of Martin Van Buren's bio.

It's important to remember where I come from so you can have the proper perspective: my hometown is the same city that turned down an offer of $30m for the Pontiac Silverdome so they could sell it for $583,000 instead.

And here I felt bad going to Ballard... ;-)

A big FUCK YOU to the weather and the Gallup Police Force that does nothing to make sure that people that are inebriated during a cold snap are safe. The cops laugh and call the dead "popsicles". During winter it isn't uncommon to lose five or more people a week in this area. Last Friday my best buddy's brother-in-law was found frozen to death behind a Wendy's. Leaving aside that a 51 year-old man should have more sense than to be outside drinking when it's snowing, you would think employees could at least have picked up the phone and called the cops. It got down to 11 degrees that night, he didn't have a chance. Funny thing is, the Gallup cops stopped and offered me a ride home at 2AM when I was leaving the local.  They were surprised to see that I wasn't drunk, I explained that I don't drink, but do shoot pool and mentioned it was only a mile home and I have a heavy leather trench coat. They were nice enough to give me a ride anyway. Wonder if the result would have been the same if my skin were a bit darker... I'm pretty sure that I know the answer..

So what's a good resource for dealing with severe depression?  Been dealing with it for most of my adult life.  Was on Zoloft for a while, but had to go off it because I was between jobs and didn't have health insurance so I couldn't afford it.  Would it just be best to go back on the meds at this point?  It seems like the holidays have this affect on me in recent years.  :P

So what's a good resource for dealing with severe depression?  Been dealing with it for most of my adult life.  Was on Zoloft for a while, but had to go off it because I was between jobs and didn't have health insurance so I couldn't afford it.  Would it just be best to go back on the meds at this point?  It seems like the holidays have this affect on me in recent years.  :P

Talk to doctor, because its a long process to get your proper medication type and dosage right.  You can't just start up on something without being monitored, because the wrong med/dosage can fuck you up, or even kill you.  

http://www.depressioncenter.net/ is a decent outlet and "support group" type of thing, but is NOT a subsitute for professional help.

And find some sort of outlet.  Video games, writing, exercise, yoga, meditation, anything to help clear your head and focus your energy.

I'll echo everyone else, I take 60mg of Fluoxetine a day, and while I may not have the sunniest disposition in the world, at least I don't want to kill myself .

I was up to 100mg of Zoloft(or the generic equivalent, anyway) at one point in my life.  I don't know if I've ever been legitimately suicidal, but I have deliberately hurt myself in the past.  My biggest problem is being horribly unmotivated and defeatist in my thinking.  It's been there for as long as I can remember and I'm at the point where I just don't know any other way of thinking.  My mental situation really went off a cliff when my mom passed away in 2006; I was still living with her at the time(yup, lived the gimmick).

I was up to 100mg of Zoloft(or the generic equivalent, anyway) at one point in my life.  I don't know if I've ever been legitimately suicidal, but I have deliberately hurt myself in the past.  My biggest problem is being horribly unmotivated and defeatist in my thinking.  It's been there for as long as I can remember and I'm at the point where I just don't know any other way of thinking.  My mental situation really went off a cliff when my mom passed away in 2006; I was still living with her at the time(yup, lived the gimmick).

Sorry to hear that dude. For what it's worth, I'll echo the yoga shout. I'm fortunate enough to have no mental health issues, but I know a girl who did and yoga changed her life.

This is a serious discussion obviously and I don't mean to make light of it (especially because I have had depression issues before) but there's gotta be some kind of punch line to FSW saying "I have no mental health issues"..... Right????

• Like 2