DVDVR Message Board

Third uncle or aunt I've lost because of it. I've had others that have had it(blood relatives or through marriage) too, but they've pulled through. I've got an enormous family, so I'm sure it'll happen a bunch more times in the next 20-40 years.

Two for the day:

- Fuck cancer as well. Why in blue fucking hell would anyone make a car for people to fucking lazy to be good drivers but not figure out how to end cancer? If your stupid ass needs a car that will stop because you rather look at your cellphone instead of realizing that YOU ARE FUCKING DRIVING, then you need to have something physically done to you to keep you from driving. Stupid fuck off.

- AND FUCK YOU PEOPLE WHO CALL IN FROM WORK. ESP THOSE WHO WILL CALL MANAGEMENT BUT NOT THE PEOPLE YOU ACTUALLY WORK WITH.

Why in blue fucking hell would anyone make a car for people to fucking lazy to be good drivers but not figure out how to end cancer?

Why are you so sure the mechanically inclined can also be medical revolutionaries? Not everyone is good at everything. I understand your sentiment, but throwing more bodies at the problem is rarely the solution.

It also kind of undermines all the people who ARE working their ASSES off in the field. "Come on already, what's taking so long! Are you guys even trying?!" It's a complex phenomenon with myriad different causes and presentations. The effort and expertise is not lacking.

I'm sure I took that post way too seriously, but I felt like it needed a response.

Again, they have made cars that can practically park themselves but can't cure cancer. I care a whole lot more about people dying of cancer than I do advances that prevent people from being decent drivers.

Well, the "they" who are working on self-parking cars are different from the "they" who are working on curing cancer. So your complaint is kind of strange. Also, curing cancer isn't easy (as if that should need saying).

And, personally, I don't want to die from cancer OR from getting run over by some jerk who can't drive, so I'm kind of glad people are working on both problems.

Not to mention that self driving cars (in the future) will make a huge difference for people with disabilities who cannot drive. It won't just benefit shitty drivers.

• Like 1

At the risk of "too much information", fuck post-nasal drip.  I've been sick lately and it's the same as the last two times I got sick:  It screws up my voice big time.  I have to make phone calls as part of my job so that puts a slight crimp in that situation.  The last two times, I tried to wait it out and it didn't get better so I had to go to the doctor and get on (expensive-even-with-insurance) antibiotics before my voice would get any better.

Whenever I get PND I get to do more voice-overs because my voice gets deeper.

FU to heightened expectations.  NY was disappointing for me because it had become so iconic in my head that nothing could really live up to it.  Oh well.  I still miss my (vacation) neighborhood deli.

Used to have a radio job so the voice was a bit more impotant back then.  Now I'm doing data entry and it isn't ESSENTIAL but I still have to make phone calls sometimes.

The problem the last two times is that it just WOULDN'T GET BETTER...I waited over a month in the first instance before I finally bit the bullet and went to the doctor.

Fuck death and fuck holidays.  My just aunt passed away last Monday, and as we're preparing for her funeral, we get a call from my other aunt that my grandfather, who has been in a hospital/nursing home since last month, is set to go in days.  He's hovering above the 100 lb. range and the aunt and uncles made a judgement call to not give him a feeding tube, and to make him as comfortable as possible for his final journey. We were told that once they finally broke it to him that my aunt died, he stopped eating and was despondent.    I had been taking care of my granddad for the past two years and just moved out this summer so I could focus on my daughters' issues, but I feel guilty in a way, even though I shouldn't, plus the fact that my grand is 86 and has been bedridden for the past 8 years.  I have absolutely no holiday cheer right now and I'm really sad the my last paternal figure is about to go.  I understand the cycle of life and all that shit, but damn...it's tough seeing me and my family a wreck like this.

Also, there will never be "a cure for cancer" the way people think of it, because cancer isn't just one disease, it's a massive class of them, that will likely each need their own cure.

I keep holding out hope that somehow sharks being immune to cancer might actually lead to some kind of meaningful breakthrough.

• Like 1

Not enough to warrant cursing, but man I feel like I wasted the last three months of my life and possibly the last five years. One more semester of school and then I get a piece of paper. This isn't something nearly as tragic as cancer or a dying loved one. Not as morally reprehensible as a hit and run.

My internship said I'm average and I know my supervisor was a perfectionist who rarely spoke to me but I still feel stung by it. I showed up early everyday, I only had to miss one day due to my paying part time job refusing to give my a day off when I had to go to my internship and I notified them four days early of it and rescheduled, yet I was graded average in being on time with minor attendance issues. I did my assigned work and sought out anything more they would have me do. I was apparently immature for not laughing at all his jokes that weren't really jokes. Why bother going any further in my chosen field? I have no close friends to speak to so I have to spill my guts on a message board dedicated to my favorite hobby I get mocked by my friends and family for liking. F this life, I hope every year things get better and I try but I feel like I slide back down into futility every year. 2013 sucked, no single tragic event but a steady stream of suck. I go to a crummy small university and my degree won't mean Bo Diddley. At least I will not graduate with any debt but I keep hoping one thing would just go my way for a change. Why try anymore, honestly, why?

Also, there will never be "a cure for cancer" the way people think of it, because cancer isn't just one disease, it's a massive class of them, that will likely each need their own cure.

I keep holding out hope that somehow sharks being immune to cancer might actually lead to some kind of meaningful breakthrough.

Fuck me for killing your hope with links like this and this.

• Like 1