DVDVR Message Board

Franchise Crippling Defeats/Moments

Thomas Bugg

The moment Marty Hurney was hired, the past twelve and next three years of Carolina Panthers football happened. True enough, they got to one Super Bowl, which is more than Detroit has in their entire history, but the cost was tremendous. Some of the bigger highlights include signing not one good but two good (but not great) RBs to colossal contracts at a time when nobody spends money on that position (and when there's not an ice cream cone's chance on the sun that either of them could get that dough elsewhere), throwing Jake Delhomme - Jake Delhomme - 12 million to play for the Browns, throwing James Anderson alot of money to play for Chicago, throwing Jon Beason a lot of money to play for the Giants, and never once effectively addressing the WR position. Even Steve Smith - I suspect - was a happy accident. THE WORST.

Any success they've had in that timeframe is in spite of his work.

• Like 1

I like some of the responses here, but what I don't love is that some motherfucking Cowboys fan started my thread on that board! FUCK THE DALLAS COWBOYS!!!

officialfan.proboards.com/thread/495115/franchise-crippling-defeats-moments

But speaking of that franchise, I think they were up shit creek without a paddle after Danny White got injured in 1986, having to rely on Steve Pelluer. They went from having a 6-2 start to finishing 7-9, and two more horrible seasons afterwards signaled the E-N-D of Tom Landry's coaching career.

As for their current phase of mediocrity, I can't really point to a crippling moment or loss here that stands out. 

They're not the Cubs, they're the Clippers. Been around a long time, some recent success but no titles, mostly a laughingstock.

Sadly - as many things are in Detroit - there are no Lakers in town.

Detroit has fans that don't turn on their coach and then turn again when he starts winning though because they're fickle hicks.

They're not the Cubs, they're the Clippers. Been around a long time, some recent success but no titles, mostly a laughingstock.

Sadly - as many things are in Detroit - there are no Lakers in town.

Detroit has fans that don't turn on their coach and then turn again when he starts winning though because they're fickle hicks.

You're way too fixated on this notion that you can't voice displeasure with your team. Is this some soccer bullshit or something?