DVDVR Message Board

By the early 80's, the Shaws weren't so concerned with the Mainland market.  They started to make films more specifically for the Hong Kong and international (western) markets and that's when you saw a lot more exploitation elements, because HK people thought that the old school Mandarin drama heavy kung fu movies were pretty corny.  Hong Kong actually didn't have a formal movie rating system until the late 1980s, after politicians felt pressure from parents who were concerned that their kids were imitating gangsters like Chow Yun Fat in A Better Tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man At Arms:  Art Of War is totally fucking awesome.   Danny Trejo's scholarly interest in bladed weapons is badass. His knowledge base is disturbing.

It's pretty interesting how the show starts off academically and focuses on the history of the weapons, their development, and how combat evolved around their use and then turns into "Okay, let's go cut something to pieces."

Rite of Passage is beginning to grow on me, but it still feels like a show that was bound for Discovery Channel that did not make the line up.

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC it is also David Chiang's birthday.

FYI there is a new streaming service Tubi TV that has a pretty decent martial arts section.  I watched Police Story in widescreen HD in Cantonese yesterday.  The films do have ads though.

• Like 1

I'm beyond thrilled at having this on throughout the weekend.  With repeated chances of seeing certain movies I'm finally getting around to checking out Godzilla's Revenge.  My goodness whoever came up with this movie was high as a kite, and I thank them for it.  It kind of takes the piss out of the franchise and sandwiched in between super serious Godzilla movies it's a nice change of pace.  That and this Godzilla would make for a decent Japanese wrestler, might have to create him in Fire Pro.

I woke up to that on the TV. It's one of my favorite Godzilla movies even though it's such an anachronism. The story of the bullied latch-key kid who fantasizes about monsters taken care of by his eccentric uncle is kind of sweet and innocent even though it involves a fucking kidnapping. And yeah, that Godzilla had a sweet judo throw!

• Like 2

For the sheer WTF factor along with it being weirdly hilarious,  this quickly became one of my favorite Godzilla movies.

But right now is Godzilla vs Destroyah. The original is forever the best, but this might be my favorite. His look is beyond epic (fiery Godzilla FTW!) and the movie is really well done.

I watched most of it with the sound off while listening to new records (that free Public Enemy gets better as it goes) and I have to say, it was pretty crazy. I'm no big kaiju fanatic and haven't seen a lot of the post-'80 stuff but that was up there with Biollante from what I saw. 

• Like 2

We had a ball watching Godzilla vs. Destroyah and those wonderful mother fuckers had all of the Mechagodzilla films in chronological order on Monday.

Godzilla 2000 was also awesome. Again, another no sound watch where it appears that Godzilla is yelling all kinds of random shit at a UFO, a monster appears out of nowhere, they fight, it tries to clone him or something and he does the rational thing: throw atomic blast fire breath inside the fucker to explode it. Then he kills some guy and rampages away through the city and that's it! Perfect. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 10:25 AM, Neil Koch said:

IIRC it is also David Chiang's birthday.

FYI there is a new streaming service Tubi TV that has a pretty decent martial arts section.  I watched Police Story in widescreen HD in Cantonese yesterday.  The films do have ads though.

My lady loves Tubi TV. We watched the AVGN movie on it last month. The ad breaks aren't too bad. Most of them are at most 1 1/2 minutes long.

Happy birthday, Meng Lo!  He is 61 today!

I was happy to see that most of the original members of the Venom Mob are still alive.

TMK, the only member of the Venom Mob that has passed away is Chiang Sheng.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Happy birthday, Meng Lo!  He is 61 today!

I was happy to see that most of the original members of the Venom Mob are still alive.

TMK, the only member of the Venom Mob that has passed away is Chiang Sheng.

That's the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life. Happy Birthday to the Kid with the Golden Arm.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is the schedule for Flying, Five Finger, One Armed, Eight Pole, Death Touch Tuesday.

All times are EST:

4PM - The Rebel Intruders

6PM - The Delightful Forrest

8PM - The Magnificent Wanderers

10PM - Clan of the White Lotus.

As stacked of a line up as I've seen in a while even with the repeats. I'll be checking out Rebel Intruders and Magnificent Wanderers.as I've seen the other two movies dozens of times a piece.

If you are a big fan of the Venom Mob, Rebel Intruders is very worthy of your viewing time and The Delightful Forrest may be the most misleading film tittle of all time.  It's a really bloody actioner and the fights are brutal!.