DVDVR Message Board

Shit, missed it. Saw it on Netflix way back too with a buddy of mine and it's awesome. Basically, directors could shoot on the super cheap in the Phillipines thanks to Marcos and some crazy stuff got made there, like all the Blood Beast movies (god those are terrible). They talk about some of the horror stories involving the shooting of Apocalypse Now as well. 

EDIT: Here's the trailer (very NSFW). You can watch the movie in full for $2.99 on Youtube, but this is pretty damn good too if you don't wanna pay haha

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

El Rey Network right now is airing a documentary called Machete Maidens Unleashed.  It's about exploitation films that were made in the Philippines.  Well worth checking out, and I'm sure @Tromatagon would love the horror aspects.  I'm hoping this means they're going to start airing these kind of movies on the network.  Comet might be airing a bunch of cult movies but nothing wrong with another channel showing it.

There's another documentary by the same people called Not Quite Hollywood about Australian exploitation movies.  It has a fairly lengthy segment about The Man From Hong Kong, where George Lazenby goes into detail about how big of an ass Jimmy Wang Yu was to people on the set, like eating an onion before having a love scene so he could annoy the actress. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Machete Maidens Unleashed looks awesome and fun if only because the films they discuss are completely unapologetic.

I may still watch Not Quite Hollywood to hear the stuff about Wang Yu. 

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

That's awesome!  I've always heard much to my sorrow that Wang Yu was a total asshole. 

I've heard that his tirades anytime someone said something positive about the Japanese are the stuff of legend, right up there with the Lasorda meltdown about Dave Kingman.

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I've heard that his tirades anytime someone said something positive about the Japanese are the stuff of legend, right up there with the Lasorda meltdown about Dave Kingman.

Yeah, it's not surprising why a lot of bad guys in HK Kung Fu cinema are Japanese.

• 4 weeks later...

Ghost Dog is on right now and wow it's been a minute since I seen this one. Funny thing is I have a copy of Hagakure that a buddy left me when he moved and I never finished it, even though it's slim. Too much "bow to the master" stuff. 

Apparently they're airing The A-Team and Quantum Leap now during the day if anybody's interested. Dirty Harry triple feature on Friday! I wonder why they didn't/couldn't get The Dead Pool...

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ghost Dog is on right now and wow it's been a minute since I seen this one. Funny thing is I have a copy of Hagakure that a buddy left me when he moved and I never finished it, even though it's slim. Too much "bow to the master" stuff. 

You have to remember that Tsunetomo wrote Hagakure well after the decline of the samurai class.  The book isn't so much about bushido as it is about cautioning Japan's leadership about continuing to nurture a martial culture even in the absence of war.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

It is also a love letter to samurai culture and as many former samurai families found themselves in the difficult situation of figuring out what to do with themselves in a country where the government didn't really require their service.

Hagakure's central theme meshes so well with the movie's story as it is the tale of two men who struggle with life's problems more than most do since they have chosen to live such fringe (ie. criminal) lifestyles and aren't fit to do anything else other than what they're doing..

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, J.T. said:

Is something up at El Rey?  There are a grand total of zero Kung Fu movies coming on today.

I think they moved it to Sundays.  They've been showing them on Sundays for quite some time, but I guess they mistakenly figured one day of kung fu was enough.

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think they moved it to Sundays.  They've been showing them on Sundays for quite some time, but I guess they mistakenly figured one day of kung fu was enough.

That is crazy talk.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Found my copy of Hagakure yesterday and that inspired me to find out what was on El Rey today/tonight. We got

Five Superfighters (right now)

Golden Swallow

Man of Iron

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

The People's Network Showcase with John Carpenter, which is ten short horror films (paging J.T., paging J.T.) 

All three Grudge films in a row

Big Trouble in Little China

The Warriors

Not a bad Sunday! And fittingly, for Mother's Day they have somebody's moms beating multiple people's ass with kung fu right now

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The People's Network Showcase with John Carpenter, which is ten short horror films (paging J.T., paging J.T.) 

This shit was so great!

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They're showing Cool World (!) on Wednesday and The Crow on Saturday along with Big Trouble and Warriors again. The story behind Cool World is a doozy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_World

This was on a couple weeks ago but it's been sitting on our DVR.  I saw the first 20 minutes though and it's a doozy indeed.  At some point we'll get around to seeing the whole thing, but if what I saw is any indication I think we're going to need some quality booze to get us through this.

• 2 months later...

I slept through both airings of Lucha Underground and woke up to the pleasant surprise of Shadow of the Vampire airing. Saturday, on the other hand, is having (and I didn't know there were three of them) the I Spit On Your Grave remake trilogy. Just in case rape and torture-revenge really float your boat... ugh. Tomorrow is the Open Water (and I didn't know there were three of those either) trilogy in case sharks are more your thing

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I slept through both airings of Lucha Underground and woke up to the pleasant surprise of Shadow of the Vampire airing. Saturday, on the other hand, is having (and I didn't know there were three of them) the I Spit On Your Grave remake trilogy. Just in case rape and torture-revenge really float your boat... ugh. Tomorrow is the Open Water (and I didn't know there were three of those either) trilogy in case sharks are more your thing

I stayed up to watch Shadow of the Vampire.

The Jason Momoa reboot of Conan the Barbarian was on before LU.  I skipped it.  The uncensored version was on IFC last week.

I am still bummed that there is no Kung Fu on during the week.

• 3 months later...

Wow, now THIS Is a dead thread. But I have the reagent in a handy hypodermic over here...

If you're interested, the Way of the Turkey Marathon is continuing through the weekend so there's a lot of Shaw Bros. to go. I caught Crippled Avengers yesterday and Return of the One-Armed Swordsman today. The Kaiju Christmas Marathon is apparently happening once again as well so you're welcome. 

In other interesting news, Robert filmed a show called Rebel Without A Crew where he takes five filmmakers and gives them a shot at their first features. Looks like a fun show. He's also bringing back The Director's Chair (yesssssss) with the first new guest being the odd choice of Barbra Streisand (?!). 

Also, I finally watched Man At Arms: Art of War with Danny Trejo making swords and shit and it's pretty fun.

I'd seen just about everything in the Way of the Turkey marathon at least once.

I will probably check out the Christmas Kaiju Marathon since it is the only place other than STARZ Encore where I can watch Rodan in its entirety.

Since I'm thinking about it and I can't recall, were Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla or Terror of Mechagodzilla ever part of the previous Kaiju Christmases? I haven't seen the latter since the TNT Godzilla marathons they used to run when I was a kid and it would be nice to catch it again. The former I have on this beautiful VHS but who knows where that's at 

MV5BOGUxNDBlOTEtOGI3YS00ZGZiLTkwMWMtMDgx

• Like 1