DVDVR Message Board

I will be watching House of Traps today at Noon EDT on El Rey Kung Fu Sunday and I'm pretty sure it will never get old.

Also on that note, the annual Way of the Turkey marathon starts on Thanksgiving day and runs through the entire weekend.   Schedule of films upcoming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I will be watching House of Traps today at Noon EDT on El Rey Kung Fu Sunday and I'm pretty sure it will never get old.

Also on that note, the annual Way of the Turkey marathon starts on Thanksgiving day and runs through the entire weekend.   Schedule of films upcoming.

You should still be asleep at noon if you worked overnight. 

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You should still be asleep at noon if you worked overnight. 

I went to bed as soon as I got home, got up at Noon to watch House of Traps, went back to bed, and got up in time to get to work.

I didn't make dinner.  I am becoming a connoisseur of the hot sandwich menu at my local Wawa.

Have you seen the hot sandwich menu at Wawa?  I may as well be eating at fucking Panera.  It's getting to the point where you have to look extra hard just to find yummy food that's really bad for you.

I had sliced apples as my side.  SLICED APPLES~! FROM WAWA~! AND THEY WERE DELICIOUS~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WAY OF THE TURKEY MARATHON IS CURRENTLY PLAYING~!

I've already watched Shaolin Intruders, Five Shaolin Masters, and Magnificent Wanderers all the way through.

I think that Ten Tigers of Kwangtung comes on at some ungodly hour tonight / early tomorrow morning.

I'll be up early on Sunday eating breakfast and watching Rendezvous With Death and the marathon concludes at 6PM EDT with The Bells of Death.  

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

That's awesome and all but sadly with the move we ditched Xfinity and are using Youtube TV instead.  Of course they don't have El Rey so that means no kung fu for me.  I may consider Sling in the future but with no Lucha Underground or interesting variety in movies (I miss the Giallo films) I've been watching way less from the channel.  

On 11/29/2019 at 9:17 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

That's awesome and all but sadly with the move we ditched Xfinity and are using Youtube TV instead.  Of course they don't have El Rey so that means no kung fu for me.  I may consider Sling in the future but with no Lucha Underground or interesting variety in movies (I miss the Giallo films) I've been watching way less from the channel.  

The network has fell off big for me since 2016/17 or so. The random 70's and 80's horror used to be so much fun. I remember seeing stuff like Contamination and Rats: Night of Terror which was a trip seeing on tv. But aside from the kung fu there really isn't much right now.

Edited by brocklock
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just want to take you back to the first page of this thread:

There was such excitement because of all the good shit that they had going on.  From kung fu to grotesque horror to even Blacksploitation movies that I don't remember seeing on a channel in some time.  It truly did have some amazing programming.  And of course Lucha Underground which ruled for a good while.  But somewhere along the way it almost seemed like Rodriguez didn't put at much attention into what the channel had like he did at the start.  While not his fault LU went down in quality and with that programming seemed to be a bit dicey.  And that was from what I saw up until last year when I moved and got Youtube TV.  I considered getting the channel through a streaming service that had it.  But since my mom had Comcast I checked the lineup and that did away with that consideration.

I'll miss El Rey.  When it was great it fucking rocked and was the channel we had on the most.  But we've now gotten to a point six years later where the awesome stuff is still around but in different areas.  Night Flight Plus and Tubi carry a lot of the load for wacky movies and Shudder has the grotesque horror largely taken care of.  I haven't looked for a service with the awesome kung fu movies yet but I'm sure it's out there.  But man was it great to see such wonderful movies for the first time.  So I'll go through the first pages of this here thread and likely have a tequila for the memory of El Rey.  It was a good one, folks.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

Yeah, I heard rumors a week ago that beloved El Rey was shutting down.  I am sad to see it go, but at least it's heading out with a two day Kung Fu marathon.

I think I will miss Lucha Underground the most and I also have no idea who will scratch my Shaw Brothers itch on the regular for free.

RIP El Rey.  What a long, strange ride it's been.

Hopefully the thread can be locked and archived.  Piraesi's quest for El Rey must be preserved for all times.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I haven't had it since last October but yeah, it did go downhill. That had to be the nature of the beast though with Richard busy with his own film projects. It might've stuck around a lot longer if not for Covid, likely. 

As I said in the other thread this channel actively turned me onto kung fu movies. It's ridiculous that I never sought them out until then, given my interest in Tarantino and Wu Tang, but they set it off. For that I'll always be indebted. It's a shame that Rodriguez's interviews with the directors will probably be lost to memory now unless somebody puts them on Youtube, those were awesome. 

RIP El Rey, you ruled.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the Pluto TV app, they have at least one kung fu/martial arts channel called Films of Fury.

There is a YouTube channel called The Wu-Tang Collection that has a lot of movies.

Shaw Bros stuff can be found on Netflix and Amazon Prime.  I don't have Prime, but I heard they have a good number of SB movies on there.

There is a device called the Zii Eagle that has almost 700 SB moves on there.  It is a legit product.

Zii Eagle (2010) by Khim Tan at Coroflot.com

YesAsia has a good sized selection of DVDs/BRs but you will need a all region player for many of them

YESASIA: "shaw brothers" Search Results - All Products - - North America Site

• Like 3

I was looking at that Zii Eagle but that costs $668 for it when looking it up.  So no thanks on that one.  But I can vouch for the Pluto app as well as Netflix.  Both have some pretty decent selections though with Pluto it's hard to see when movies are going to air for that day.

Also, if you use Plex they have a Live TV section that has a couple channels.  There's one for Wu Tang Collection,  Hi-Yah! and Midnight Pulp.  I can vouch for the first one but haven't checked the other two so not sure how good their stuff is.  But that might be something worth checking out.