DVDVR Message Board

Rebel Intruders was fucking awesome.  I am still in awe of how good Feng Lu's spear and pole work was and I could watch Meng Lo do hand forms scenes all day.

I'm usually okay with Kung Fu comedies, but Magnificent Warriors had a little too much slapstick for my liking.  I usually prefer my Alexander Fu Sheng / David Chiang vehicles to have a few more ridiculous wu shu swordfights in them.

• 1 month later...

Wow, we haven't touched this one since September 27th. Shows how low El Rey has gotten recently. 

Tonight we've got a Robocop marathon and then -- to underline just how low El Rey has gotten yet again -- Vampire in Brooklyn followed by The Adventures of Pluto Nash?! Whoever books this shit should realize we like "bad" movies, not BAD movies

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wow, we haven't touched this one since September 27th. Shows how low El Rey has gotten recently. 

Not really.  I am actually fascinated by Bushido Battleground.  I just wish that El Rey would get into the practice of getting more than one show into circulation during a season. 

I watch it still, but agree that the movie selection isn't what it used to be.  For Halloween I would have expected something more than a new Puppet Master.  If anything it really needed more Italian horror like they used to have.  Still need to check out Crow's Blood to see how good that is, but the first segment seemed promising.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I watch it still, but agree that the movie selection isn't what it used to be.  For Halloween I would have expected something more than a new Puppet Master.  If anything it really needed more Italian horror like they used to have.  Still need to check out Crow's Blood to see how good that is, but the first segment seemed promising.

I forgot to mention that there was a Crow's Blood marathon on the Saturday before Halloween (October 28th?) from Midnight to six in the morning.

I DVRed the whole thing.  I've watched three episodes and it is pretty good so far.

I agree that Rodriquez definitely needs to remember why he started the channel in the first place and get more 70's Exploitation and Giallo materiel back into the schedule.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Verizon FiOS reached a deal with Univision just in time for me to watch the WAY OF THE TURKEY MARATHON 2017!

Stuff we've already seen before, but a good opportunity to catch Ten Tigers of Kwandung, The Kung Fu Instructor (Sun Chung's homage to Yojimbo), Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu, Golden Swallow, Blood Brothers, Enter The Dragon, and All Men Are Brothers.

• Like 1

I like Puppet Master!(well the first few)

Considering they’ve recently shown Coneheads(In a block of horror movies as part of the group) and Men In Black I wouldn’t be surprised by anything on the channel anymore. 

I’d take anything over some of the sci-fi channel movies they were running for a bit. 

After 3 everything just became nazi this nazi that with PM. Liked the motel setting of the first two more. 

Still waiting for Dollman and Dollman versus Demonic Toys to show up on the channel since so much other Full Moon stuff has. 

Nah 4 and 5 were basically PG children's movies (which I loved, cause I was a child that liked scary stuff), after THAT it was all Nazi all the time. I guess. By that time I'd reached puberty and was more interested in other things. I wish they'd play Demonic Toys too (and the Dollman iteration just because I watched that a thousand times when I was 11)

Holy crap I totally forgot about the laser wars fun that was 4 and 5 until you said children’s movies then it instantly hit me. :) 

I still haven’t seen Dollman Vs. Demonic Toys since I was a kid but all I remember is Dollman ends up sleeping with one of the shrunken girls from Bad Channels and I think that some of the stuff with Dollman was shot like those old black and white attack of the spiders type movies which I enjoyed. 

Now I know remember why the timing of this years Way of the Turkey Marathon made me sad. 

It concluded this morning at 6AM and today would've been Bruce Lee's 77th birthday. :(

It dawned on me while I was watching Way of the Dragon and Game of Death yesterday for the billionth time respectively.

RIP.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Now I know remember why the timing of this years Way of the Turkey Marathon made me sad. 

It concluded this morning at 6AM and today would've been Bruce Lee's 77th birthday. :(

It dawned on me while I was watching Way of the Dragon and Game of Death yesterday for the billionth time respectively.

RIP.

I paid homage by watching No Retreat No Surrender last night after midnight. I regret nothing.

• Thanks 2

I knew Rodriguez would remember.. :)

He is paying tribute to Bruce Lee's birthday tonight by showing The Big Boss, Way of the Dragon, and Game of Death for Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Tuesday.

The marathon starts this evening at 6PM EST right after House of Traps.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

God DAMN is that scene where the four villains slaughter a whole dojo with just fists and feet in The Chinese Boxer sick. They just swagger in and start mashing brains and ribcages, then leave. 

One day I will do a list of my favorite kung fu movie fight scenes. 

Number One will either be Long Axe / Short Axe vs. Silver Spear from Kid With The Golden Arm or the sick free for all against the albino villain from Incredible Kung Fu Commandos.

• 2 weeks later...

Just when I am ready to write off El Rey, they decide to show Flag of Iron at 4PM today.

I will always tune in when Chinese Super Ninja, Flag of Iron, House of Traps, or Kid With The Golden Arm is on because those movies never get old.

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Just when I am ready to write off El Rey, they decide to show Flag of Iron at 4PM today.

I will always tune in when Chinese Super Ninja, Flag of Iron, House of Traps, or Kid With The Golden Arm is on because those movies never get old.

It's my go-to if I want background noise on, but kung fu aside there is definitely something lacking with the channel.  It needs more stuff like Giallo films or killer westerns like Keoma.  I don't know if they had a change in management but there seems to be a lack of identity that was there before.  Nowadays if I want something random I'll see what B movies Comet has on.

41 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It's my go-to if I want background noise on, but kung fu aside there is definitely something lacking with the channel.  It needs more stuff like Giallo films or killer westerns like Keoma.  I don't know if they had a change in management but there seems to be a lack of identity that was there before.  Nowadays if I want something random I'll see what B movies Comet has on.

If Comet would create an On Demand queue and dump all of their Johnny Socko / Giant Robo episodes into it along with the two Dr. Phibes films and all of the Count Yorga movies they've shown, it would be my favorite network.

And yeah, there has been a distinct lack of spaghetti westerns and giallo on El Rey lately.  I kinda miss being able to DVR uncensored showings of Zombi and Don't Torture A Duckling.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

El Rey Network right now is airing a documentary called Machete Maidens Unleashed.  It's about exploitation films that were made in the Philippines.  Well worth checking out, and I'm sure @Tromatagon would love the horror aspects.  I'm hoping this means they're going to start airing these kind of movies on the network.  Comet might be airing a bunch of cult movies but nothing wrong with another channel showing it.