DVDVR Message Board

Ken Lo was Jackie's regular training partner and he was a member of Jackie's stunt team, so he was perfect for those fight scenes.  He actually got the role when another actor was injured.  Serendipity.

Ken Lo is a legit badass, he was a multiple time muay thai champion in Thailand before Jackie saw him working as a bouncer and recruited him to be on his stunt team, and also to be his bodyguard.

Ho Sung Pak was later the model for Liu Kang and Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat.

That last fight took a couple of months to film.  Jackie didn't like what Lau Kar Leung was doing, so he fired him and became director and reshot the whole thing.

• Like 1

El Rey's On Demand queue is infuriating.  All of these debuts and the only films that are available are Outland and The Mechanic.

Not that I have anything against Outland or The Mechanic, but those movies have been in that folder for months.

On 4/9/2017 at 1:11 AM, J.T. said:

El Rey's On Demand queue is infuriating.  All of these debuts and the only films that are available are Outland and The Mechanic.

Not that I have anything against Outland or The Mechanic, but those movies have been in that folder for months.

Months?  Shit, I think they've been there since a couple months into the channel's existence.  Everytime I'd check it out they were always there.  Every so often you'd get something like Logan's Run, but those two would always be there.  Thank goodness for DVR.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was nearly late for work today watching HIDDEN POWER OF THE DRAGON SABER on the Morning Martial Arts Mash Up.

I love dumb lasers = chi kung-fu movies and the hermaphrodite villain is totally bonkers..

Sunday, May 14th is Mother's Day and it is also the day of the Kung Fu Mamas Marathon.

Unfortunately for me, it's stuff I've seen before but I'll probably tune in anyway to the classics.

The films in the marathon are:

• Come Drink With Me
  • Golden Swallow which may as well be Come Drink With Me 2
  • 14 Amazons
  • Clan of the Amazons

And for good measure they're also throwing in Executioners From Shaolin and Clan of the White Lotus.

The bolded movies are always a treat.  And I'm with you on the wacky, I saw Buddha's Palm two days ago and that's a wacky-as-as-fuck movie.  I felt like I needed to be high watching it.  Though Hidden Power... does sound pretty amazing also.

Tonight is Daredevils of Kung Fu, Invincible Shaolin, The Flag of Iron, Five Superfighters... and then there's a Constantine marathon. And then a SnakeEater marathon? And BAM BAM BIGELOW is in the third one?! And Sunday they're playing Leviathan but I suspect it's not the Russian one from 2014 that the guide thinks it is. That's all I got from my high speed surf of what's happening until Wednesday

Unless you really need to see The Howling II again, I guess

Bam Bam in Snake Eater 3?  Color me curious, I'll have to DVR that.  I always felt he could have done more low-budget movies in a biker role, and knowing how he was I'm sure they'd be awesome.

20 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The bolded movies are always a treat.  And I'm with you on the wacky, I saw Buddha's Palm two days ago and that's a wacky-as-as-fuck movie.  I felt like I needed to be high watching it.  Though Hidden Power... does sound pretty amazing also.

You would probably like a lot of the mid 80's to early 90's non Shaw Brothers martial arts then.  The Hong Kong market was at its peak and producers/directors just threw a ton of crazy stuff because even if the local audience didn't like it, they could still sell them to overseas distributors.  One of the first non Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee Hong Kong movies I watched was Swordsman II with Jet Li.  Just a totally batshit nuts movie with over the top action and cheesy special effects.  Plus it wasn't subtitled!

I wish El Rey would get some of the Lam Ching Ying kyonsi (hopping vampire) movies.  I think their audience would like the mix of horror, kung fu, and humor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

I wish El Rey would get some of the Lam Ching Ying kyonsi (hopping vampire) movies.  I think their audience would like the mix of horror, kung fu, and humor.

I forgot which movie it was, but they had a scene with the hopping vampires.  Yes, we indeed need much more of that.

Cool to see 5 Superfighters pop up. 

Even though it has the 2nd worst soundtrack in a martial arts film ever the plot of a guy going around taking on entire Kung-fu schools because he hates bad Kung-fu is so ridiculously awesome and simple it can be overlooked. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 3:40 PM, Zartan said:

Cool to see 5 Superfighters pop up. 

Even though it has the 2nd worst soundtrack in a martial arts film ever the plot of a guy going around taking on entire Kung-fu schools because he hates bad Kung-fu is so ridiculously awesome and simple it can be overlooked. 

Also good to see Daredevils of Kung Fu again.

Okay, so not all of the Morning Martial Arts Mash Up films are the dregs of the SB catalogue.

The Heaven Sword / Dragon Sabre films were on this morning (HAVE NOT SEEN THEM IN AGES~! LOVED SO MUCH~!) and I managed to get The New Tales of the Flying Fox on DVR last week and thought it was really good.

The fucking king sized OATH OF DEATH~! was on last Friday, too.

My preference for the Chang Cheh predominantly barehand action Venom Mob films tends to blunt my appreciation for the early sword heavy wuxia SB movies of the late seventies and early eighties.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2017 at 0:04 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Anybody catching the Incredible Hulk marathon?  I'm loving the show and we've seen a lot more of it than I thought.

My remote stayed on either the Hulk marathon or the French Open. 

I enjoyed reliving my childhood for two straight days.  I even saw some episodes that I'd never watched before.

I was kinda bummed that they didn't have any of the campy crossover movies with Daredevil and Thor, though.

• Like 2

I haven't seen it in quite some time, but one thing that caught me off guard is for a guy who rages into a monster the overall tone of the music is so damn calm.  Some say the theme is sad, but for me it was a nice way to help me drift off to sleep.  But I love the show to pieces and am glad it's part of El Rey's regular rotation.

Maybe it's just the episodes I happened to catch because I was busy all weekend, but David Banner seemed to be quite the ladies man. He seemingly jumps not only from situation to situation but woman to woman. Who woulda thought lil' ol Bill Bixby was such a player?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Maybe it's just the episodes I happened to catch because I was busy all weekend, but David Banner seemed to be quite the ladies man. He seemingly jumps not only from situation to situation but woman to woman. Who woulda thought lil' ol Bill Bixby was such a player?

This is why i cannot really hate on Marvel's Incredible Hulk reboot because it payed tribute to the show in several ways including the opening scenes in Act 1 during the whole deal between Norton's Bruce Banner and the Brazillian hottie in the soda factory which was a call back to Bixby's David Banner being an absolute pimp.

Flying, Five Finger, One Armed, Eight Pole, Death Touch Thursday will become Flying, Five Finger, One Armed, Eight Pole, Death Touch Tuesdays.

This will be the new line up for Thursdays.

Two new original programs:

Man at Arms / Art of War reminds me a little of Deadliest Warrior on SPIKE, but it looks like it just focuses on weaponology and technique rather than historical details about particular figures.  Sounds right up my alley.

Rite of Passage needs to be really interesting in a hurry to differentiate it from the other myriad survival shows I already watch on Discover Channel.

Looks interesting enough to check out for a couple of weeks.

You can't go wrong with Danny Trejo cutting shit up with cool weapons so even if it's like Deadliest Warrior I'll give it a watch.  No thanks on Rite of Passage though.  And Flying, Five-Finger... moving to Tuesdays messes with me since there's Smackdown and other things to watch.  When the superhero shows kick back in that will just add to an already loaded Tuesday.

The debut films of Flying, Five Finger, One Armed, Eight Pole, Death Touch Tuesday will be nothing to write home about but the lost campy SB gem, The Devil's Mirror will be on Thursday morning (June 8th) at 8AM EST.

The Thundering Sword comes on before it @ 6AM EST, but it is a lesser Pei-Pei Chang movie.  If you watching it expecting Come Drink With Me, you'll be disappointed.

The ridiculously hilarious Bloody Parrot (which does not feature an actual bloody parrot) comes on Friday morning (June 9th) @ 6AM.  It is sure to be greyed out as the things I remember most from the last time I watched it YEARS ago at a friend's house were.

• Actress Liang Zhen Ni being topless nearly ever time she's on screen, including a rather unsettling part where she's being possessed by a demon.
  • The rather inappropriate use of a pearl in a particularly risque sex scene that is racy even by thumb your nose at the mainland HK censor standards of the time.

Hopefully Rodriguez will show Bloody Parrot again during El Rey's kid gloves off time period between 9PM and 4AM.

Bloody Parrot will be followed at 8AM by Long Road to Gallantry.  It's a fairly by the numbers female centric wuxia movie in the spirit of Come Drink With Me, but it features the charming Hui Ying Hung as the she-ro and the fight scenes are pretty badass.

Looks like I'll be getting my Kung Fu fix during the El Rey Morning Martial Arts double feature this week.