DVDVR Message Board

I had the same issues with the very first Way Of The Turkey marathon when they insisted on showing the entire Street Fighter trilogy between 1AM and 7AM.

I understand why (ie. they wanted to show it uncensored) but old guys like me need our sleep and we don't always remember to set the DVR before we go to bed.

They should be playing After the Fall of New York instead, or at least 1984. 

Just woke up and you can all uncross your fingers: Godzilla vs. Biollante is on! I've wanted to see this ever since reading about it in the Godzilla/Japan issue of the short-lived (I think only five issues) magazine Monsters Attack! which was an under-the-radar pet project of editor Mort Todd of Cracked and Cracked Monster Party fame, who managed to squeeze it into his publisher's budget before they got wind and cancelled it. Apparently they're trying to make a graphic novel version of those issues which also feature tons of cool horror comix and film articles. 

If I recall correctly that issue was also where I discovered Akira. All the way back in '92... I looked up the Kickstarter for the collection and dunno if it they made their nut though they got nine grand. Damn website announces two volumes to be released this fall but no order information.

So far: 

Biollante is like the '80s splatter version of a Godzilla villain. Total body horror, slimy tentacle, Thing-esque structure, I dig it. 

Some secret agent man tried to sniper these guys with an AK-47. Not exactly what I'd pick for a sniper mission... but I'm sure it'd work. 

"I know she's a girl, but she's a big help" is the line of the movie thus far

EDIT: Dammit, I missed the big final battle with the morphed Biollante because I had to check the noon news for weather conditions. Maybe Sunday. 

DVR is your friend.  I tend to forget to DVR things (like I did today for a local show) so I have to check the guide a week or so in advance to ensure I get everything.

But there's no greater way to get ready for work than watching original Godzilla (or I should say Gojira)  What a goddamn awesome movie that works in damn near every conceivable way.  It's got that somber, urgent tone, the introduction of one of the most badass themes in history, and it's IMO one of the better acted Godzilla movies.  Hot damn I love this weekend!

And Biollante I have DVRed but need to watch the whole way through.  It's pretty neat from what I've seen so far.

I absolutely love that this glorious marathon is on during my birthday (yep, Christmas Eve)  Last year I went to a sushi place, had El Rey on and ate the Godzirra roll.  All with a Godzilla Pop Vinyl looking on.  This year?  Well, my wife was working so I got the roll delivered.  But now with 3 Pop Vinyls I sure as shit had a Godzirra roll while watching Godzilla.  Happy Birthday to me!

Image may contain: food and indoor

• Like 1

That's not a roll, that's a fucking platter man. Good lord...

Anyway, as a reminder if you wanna see 'em, tonight is the trilogy of:

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

Freddy vs. Jason

Right now is the short horror film comp. All tomorrow and the next day is... ugh... a Knight Rider marathon hosted by you know who. From Godzilla and company to THAT?

• Like 1

Aw,  I have a soft spot for Knight Rider, though definitely understand it's a downgrade. But I'll DVR Freddy vs Jason,  forgot it was on tonight. 

And you damn right I had that platter of a sushi roll!  That shit was glorious,  worthy of its namesake.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not getting it, but I have seen commercials on El Rey on Comcast about how Univision Communications is having issues coming to terms with long term contracts they have with Charter Spectrum Communications aka the parent company of Time Warner Cable and Bright House Broadband.

This news makes me a little nervous because FiOS just recently got El Rey in its line up and Charter and Verizon are now in talks discussing a possible buy out of Verizon / FiOS.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Those sorts of messages come up fairly frequently about cable channels.  Univision is owned by NBC so I'm sure they'll eventually use their influence and the threat of pulling other channels to get Comcast to get on board.

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, remember when this happened when everybody was watching Mad Men and AMC were politicking with DirecTV? Sounds like the same thing only on a minor scale. 

Smaller scale, yes.  But I can't imagine a day without El Rey so if I didn't have it that'd be bad times.

Their stock has really fallen with me. Remember when we'd post in this thread every day? The last time I watched El Rey was catching From Beyond last weekend, and before that it was Godzilla vs. Biollante before Xmas. Not that I want to see them go -- far, far from it -- but the days of waking up and catching Flying Guillotine right away are long gone. 

Creature Feature Fridays and Brass Knuckle Mondays seem to get the most refreshes in content, but I suppose you can only get so many Shaw Brother's licenses.

Even so, there are still a few glaring omissions in the SB catalogue that Rodriguez has (the most notable being Avenging Warriors of Shaolin) and I haven't seen any Jet Li films other than the one or two period pieces that Rodriguez has.  Go ahead and buy Bodyguard From Bejing, dude.

If he is going to do old school syndication during the day, why not get something like Kolchak's The Night Stalker or James Coburn's The Darkroom to compliment the Friday horror theme?

It would also be nice to see more campy El Santo films.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

If he is going to do old school syndication during the day, why not get something like Kolchak's The Night Stalker or James Coburn's The Darkroom to compliment the Friday horror theme?

You think it would be cheaper than Knight Rider or Airwolf. Even Monsters and Tales from the Darkside, however bad in hindsight they were, got a good run on Chiller. Night Gallery and Night Stalker would be aces. And the El Santo factor is criminal, they should subtitle them sumbitches and get them on the air now. YOU HAD A BUST OF EL SANTO IN YOUR SECOND MOST POPULAR MOVIE ROBERT, FOR GODS SAKE.  

The alternating Thursday blocks of LKL classics  and then Chang Cheh will never get old for me but I would be happy if they spiced it up a bit more. SB had some great horror movies they could be showing on Friday's like Human Lanterns, Boxer's Omen, and Black Magic 1&2 just to name a few. 

Also the fact that John Woo classics like Hard Boiled, The Killer and A Better Tomorrow 1&2 and City on Fire have not played on this channel is hard to believe. 

I'd even go for Hard Target showing up at this point. 

Conan the Barbarian is on right now and I'm basking in the glory of Basil Poledouris' score and John Milius' greatness so I can't be too mad at them. Tomorrow they're showing Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels too

EDIT: They're also dropping on Tank Girl this month if you're interested.