DVDVR Message Board

That's one I never thought would get picked. I mean they haven't even showed The Beyond or House By The Cemetary yet. 

Here is your Sunday lineup for Women's Day

Lady of the Law

Lady With A Sword

Lady Is The Boss

The Lady Assassin

and then they replay a second time. 

Holy shit, I can't say enough how glad I am to be snowed in today.  Watching 36th Chamber Trilogy in one day is going to be sublime.  Saw the first one just now and it left me practically speechless.  No wonder this is considered one of the best kung fu films of all time.  From what I've seen so far it's number one in my heart.  Going to see the other ones after a round of shoveling, but oh what fun it is to be snowed in.

• Like 1

36th Chamber indeed has to be perhaps the best kung fu film ever made. My attention span was wavering earlier today, but when it came on for the replay I paid attention from the start and it sucked me in totally. I seriously wonder whether John Milius had seen it before making Conan the Barbarian because the beginning of that film seems a clear homage to the training scenes in 36th Chamber. It's kind of a letdown though after the fact. All the sequels were tangential instead of direct. They could have done a direct sequel with San Te taking a backseat in a story with his peasant students taking on the Manchu themselves, had a burning of the Shaolin temple (done in other films), San Te returns for further revenge... but no, instead we have two comedy infused pseudo-sequels. Not complaining, but the possibilities are so ripe when you think about it. Maybe that's the greatest tribute you could give to a film in saying that you want to fan-fic it immediately after watching it. Damn, what a movie. 

Anyway, next Thursday we get 5 Fingers of Death/King Boxer and The Chinese Boxer/The Hammer of God so set your DVRs if ya got 'em...

What I forgot to say before was I was very interested after Rza talk so much about the 36th Chambers and doing albums based off of that.  Over the years he's hyped it up so much that it was always one of those must-see movies.  Before seeing it yesterday, I read how it influenced Rza and it made sense.  But it proves this movie is so influential that a rap group can make albums based off of it and become legendary in the process.  I don't listen to rap, but now have a strong desire to check out their albums.  Thanks, Rza.

I was going to check the 36th Chamber sequels, but the opening for the second one didn't grab me.  Are those worth watching, or are they okay to pass?  The last thing I want after seeing the original is mostly comedy in the sequels.  I wish Gordon Liu came back for those to continue where the first one left off.  As it is, I'm fine with passing on the sequels and re-watching the original.

Anyway, next Thursday we get 5 Fingers of Death/King Boxer and The Chinese Boxer/The Hammer of God so set your DVRs if ya got 'em...

Fuck yeah!  King Boxer has some of the most iconic fight scenes in all of martial arts moviedom!  I don't think I ever get tired of watching it.

What I forgot to say before was I was very interested after Rza talk so much about the 36th Chambers and doing albums based off of that.  Over the years he's hyped it up so much that it was always one of those must-see movies.  Before seeing it yesterday, I read how it influenced Rza and it made sense.  But it proves this movie is so influential that a rap group can make albums based off of it and become legendary in the process.  I don't listen to rap, but now have a strong desire to check out their albums.  Thanks, Rza.

I was going to check the 36th Chamber sequels, but the opening for the second one didn't grab me.  Are those worth watching, or are they okay to pass?  The last thing I want after seeing the original is mostly comedy in the sequels.  I wish Gordon Liu came back for those to continue where the first one left off.  As it is, I'm fine with passing on the sequels and re-watching the original.

Here are my reviews

Return to the 36th Chamber - http://www.hkfilm.net/movrevs4/36thchamber.htm - I really like this one almost as much as the first.  There is some comedy present (common for kung fu of late 70s - early 80s after Jackie Chan got popular) but the martial arts/training scenes are ace.

Disciples of the 36th Chamber - http://www.hkfilm.net/movrevs4/disciples36.htm - This one is okay, mostly as a historical note as it was one of the last true "old school" kung fu movies - you could tell the genre was running on fumes at this point.  Not a bad movie per se but nothing I would make an effort to see.

Like I said before I recorded the 36th Chamber trilogy and I watched the first movie and all I have to say is instant classic.  It took awhile to hook me in but man I enjoyed those training sessions so so much.  About to fire up #2 in a few minutes.

Soothsayers and Dragon Slayers Marathon next Saturday. All the usual suspects, plus both Conan films! The first one is on right now as a matter of fact and it's still in my top five films ever, just a blast from start to finish. I remember coming home blazed to the gills as a teenager and catching it on TV. Ever since I've been in love. 

Tonight from The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, Mike Tyson on what should new boxers should know: "Learn good MMA."

Watching The Chinese Boxer and kung fu vs. judo (which my dad studied in college and I still have little knowledge of), you best listen to the champ. And also learn that this is a movie you should watch if you have any sense. Along with Five Fingers of Death which is even better but I missed a lot of.

Five Fingers of Death is a top-5 all-time. Best of all, you have Lo Lieh as the face! That didn't happen often. We're still not getting our rightful amount of vampire/kung-fu movies. We need Silver Hermit of Shao-lin and Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires stat! (There are actually a bunch more, but those are the first two that came to mind.)

Five Fingers of Death really should be required viewing.  Glad I didn't delete that from the DVR.  From what I saw of Chinese Boxer I love it.  Just need to set aside time to check out the whole thing.

I was busy dicking around on the net and flipping through Smackdown and Comedy Central to catch all of these two but what I did was awesome. The Chinese Boxer had a disconcerting rape scene followed by what may have been the first time there was a guy doing the "hands in the burning gravel" thing. I caught the end of both of them anyway and that's at least mandatory.

If you want to explain to somebody what the whole "Sex, drugs and rock and roll" part of the 80s was like, a few episodes of Miami Vice should take care of that.  Really loving this marathon while cleaning the place.  You get a very special episode with Crockett and his kid, followed by a couple episodes featuring Sheena Easton.  Hot damn was she smoking hot.  Of the episodes I saw recently the one a couple weeks ago with Phil Collins was my favorite.  It's so easy to see why people were obsessed with this show, and it's still easy to get sucked into.

Was always a fan of the phrase "The bigger the hair, the closer to God"  Going by that she could stand on her toes and would be peeking up at the pearly gates.

Shifting to Thursday those Amazon movies look pretty damn good.  Not sure if they're must-see (still basking in the 36th Chamber awesomeness) but if so I'm down with recording them.

OH, MAAAAAAAN. I just caught the end of Shaolin Temple and it literally has four or more fights going on at once, plus

a massacre by troops with spears and the burning of the temple with flaming arrows!

It's a total adrenaline overdose. There's guys fighting with spears, an unarmed guy against a guy with two swords, dudes fighting on a staircase in close quarters, people sacrificing themselves to defeat their opponent, people flipping backwards in midair and reversing their direction like it's the fuckin' Matrix or something. I really have to see this one in full sometime.

Oh, and a fight with guys walking on pointed stones, just for good measure.