DVDVR Message Board

Did I neglect to mention that played? Yeah, it was on last week and I guess replayed too. Caught the end of it during the initial airing. 

Finally got to see (some of) Five Fingers of Death yesterday. Yeah, you would think it's an essential that I should have already seen, but no. El Rey really is giving me a solid education in Shaw Bros. cinema. 

El Ray to air 255 Shaw Brothers movies starting October 1.  I'm beyond excited to know this.  I'm really hoping for Piranesi's sake he gets this by then.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/el-rey-network/el-rey-network-and-celestial-pictures-boost-multi-year-partnership-to-bring-view/531065216997912

Austin, TX and Hong Kong - July 28, 2014 - El Rey Network (El Rey), maverick filmmaker Robert Rodriguez's new genre-busting cable network, and Celestial Pictures Limited (Celestial Pictures) announced today a long-term programming partnership.  The new five-year deal begins October 1, 2014, extending and expanding on an existing program licensing agreement. The new deal will provide the network with access to 255 iconic martial arts titles from the Shaw Brothers vault – the world's leading martial arts collection, many on an exclusive basis. Financial terms were not disclosed. The parties are also in discussion on new original programming concepts.

New titles available to El Rey through this deal include"The Five Deadly Venoms," "Mad Monkey Kung Fu," "The Brave Archer Trilogy" and "Have Sword Will Travel," which will air throughout the schedule as well as during the network's monthly Kung Fu marathons. All films come with English subtitles and/or English dubbed tracks.

Robert Rodriguez, El Rey Network founder and chairman, said: "These iconic films have really resonated with our viewers and we are excited to be the American home of this incredible library. As a kid, I found this kind of content wildly entertaining and these dazzling, kinetic and epic spectacles are still a great inspiration in the work I do to this day."

Kristen Tong, Chief Operating Officer of Celestial Pictures,added: “We are delighted to build on our strong relationship with El Rey and Robert. The network has already proven to be a great platform to showcase our classic titles to a new audience, and we look forward to pursuing further exciting opportunities together.”

• Like 1

El Ray to air 255 Shaw Brothers movies starting October 1.  I'm beyond excited to know this.  I'm really hoping for Piranesi's sake he gets this by then.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/el-rey-network/el-rey-network-and-celestial-pictures-boost-multi-year-partnership-to-bring-view/531065216997912

Austin, TX and Hong Kong - July 28, 2014 - El Rey Network (El Rey), maverick filmmaker Robert Rodriguez's new genre-busting cable network, and Celestial Pictures Limited (Celestial Pictures) announced today a long-term programming partnership.  The new five-year deal begins October 1, 2014, extending and expanding on an existing program licensing agreement. The new deal will provide the network with access to 255 iconic martial arts titles from the Shaw Brothers vault – the world's leading martial arts collection, many on an exclusive basis. Financial terms were not disclosed. The parties are also in discussion on new original programming concepts.

New titles available to El Rey through this deal include"The Five Deadly Venoms," "Mad Monkey Kung Fu," "The Brave Archer Trilogy" and "Have Sword Will Travel," which will air throughout the schedule as well as during the network's monthly Kung Fu marathons. All films come with English subtitles and/or English dubbed tracks.

Robert Rodriguez, El Rey Network founder and chairman, said: "These iconic films have really resonated with our viewers and we are excited to be the American home of this incredible library. As a kid, I found this kind of content wildly entertaining and these dazzling, kinetic and epic spectacles are still a great inspiration in the work I do to this day."

Kristen Tong, Chief Operating Officer of Celestial Pictures,added: “We are delighted to build on our strong relationship with El Rey and Robert. The network has already proven to be a great platform to showcase our classic titles to a new audience, and we look forward to pursuing further exciting opportunities together.”

The Brave Archer Trilogy? AWESOME~!  i don't think I've ever seen seen those on television before!

Rolling Thunder on Friday, bitches. 

Also, Guillermo del Toro was on The Director's Chair, and it looks like they are eventually doing (who else) Tarantino. 

EDIT: And tomorrow, Executioners from Shaolin and Disciples of Shaolin for the Death Punch double-feature

You know what the sad part of all this is ... by the time piranesi gets El Rey, it will have resorted to playing CSI syndicated reruns and James Bond weekly marathons.

No problem, buddy.  I'm already deep into Lifetime's original franchising of PRECIOUS: BASED ON ON THE NOVEL "PUSH" BY SAPPHIRE:

So far we've had Mindy Cohn in PRECIOUS 2: BASED ON THE  SHORT STORY "OOOF" BY CELINE DIONE

and

TIna Yothers starring in PRECIOUS: PORT OF CALL SCARSDALE

I hear they've already signed Candace Bergen to write and direct Queen Latifah and Kathy Bates in

PRECIOUS VS. GUMMO: REQUIEM.

So, everything is pretty cool over here at Dish Network.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just found out why I don't have El Rey despite the El Rey website telling me it is available, seems the town over from me (5 minutes away) that is in the same Comcast Xfinity territory has it but we don't in the much larger city area.  Seems they have an updated cable system.   Ugggh

Come Drink With Me makes a much wanted return to the Thursday kung-fu rotation and Executioners From Shaolin is your second film of the double feature.

There is a grindhouse triple feature on Saturday with Assaiult on Precinct 13, Rolling Thunder and ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE~!

So, From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series is on Netflix and...  yup, that's a 10 episode long retelling of the movie, without hiding the supernatural elements.

(To be fair, I'm only through episode 5, so maybe it goes wildly differently from the film in the backhalf...)

I did not think that the series was entirely horrible.  It had some merit.  I think the thing I enjoyed the most was the idea that the Gecko's ill-fated choice of overnight hangout joints was not just happenstance and bad luck.

HAHA!  So it's not even worth it, then.

I'm glad I don't have to even worry about it and have more time to enjoy Chelsea Handler as a woman who runs a cute independent Swiffer store that is being put out of business by Ralph Macchio's new Roomba franchise....until they meet and fall in love...in the Lifetime Original Movie, DUSTLESS IN POUGHKEEPSIE!

If you miss Phylicia Rashad's moving cameo as Maya Angelou, you don't understand drama.

And Stay tuned for the post-Apocalyptic sequel in which Lori Laughlan and Blair Underwood are mankind's last hope in DINOSWIFFER VS. ROOMBACUDA!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...