DVDVR Message Board

Just watched the end of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter with my jaw on the floor. That has to be the most insanely intricate choreography sequence in the history of cinema.

My teeth hurt after watching that finale :)

The movie is considered to be the last major "old school" release. Shaw Brothers got out of the film business later in the decade. Lau Kar Leung saw the writing on the wall and really did pull out all the stops.

It's all the more amazing when you take into account that Alexander Fu Sheng died partway through production so they had to come up with basically a new movie from scratch.

BTW the Yangs are famous Chinese folk heroes. The movie was remade recently as Saving General Yang, which is on Netflix streaming. The events after the film, where the Yang women take over the fighting, is detailed in The 14 Amazons, which also got a remake that is available on Netflix, Legendary Amazons.

From Dusk To Dawn:  The Series is actually getting pretty good.  Attrbuting Ritchie's psychotic behavior to Santanica's influence was a nice touch.  I also dig the focus on crime lord, Carlos.  I still think that the guy playing Carlos should be playing more than one role as Cheech Marin did.

This Thursday's feature will be mother fucking King Boxer aka Five Fingers of Death and Shaolin Mantis.

To my disdain, AAA Lucha should be in the schedule sometime this summer.

Was watching some of the Starsky & Hutch marathon on Saturday when it suddenly occurred to me that those dudes must've been the worst undercover cops ever just for that damn car.

Was watching some of the Starsky & Hutch marathon on Saturday when it suddenly occurred to me that those dudes must've been the worst undercover cops ever just for that damn car.

They had to look the part, man.  Just like Tubbs and Crockett posing as high rollers riding around in an ice white Ferrari Testarossa.  Not exactly subtle.

While I loved the show, the great failing was that you never know what Starsky & Hutch's long term assignment was.  At least Miami Vice had the decency occasionally remind you that Crockett and Tubbs were posing as local smugglers..

Five Element Ninjas (again) and 36th Chamber of Shaolin (again) next Thursday, Shaft tomorrow. Watching Shaolin Mantis now. Apparently they're showing Heavy Metal in the future and Robert is doing a show called The Director's Chair and the first ep is him interviewing John Carpenter. Also, Robert was on Colbert last night and was pretty funny.

I like to twist the knife.

Yeah, the last fight in King Boxer is one of my favorites.

When Lo Lieh punches the guy in the back and the fountain of blood comes shooting out of his mouth, that is fucking awesome.

And yeah, we have almost reached the full circuit of Shaw Brothers classics because there are some repeats from the Gordon Liu marathon that will be in the Lau Kar-Leung marathon this weekend and the two movies for next Thursday will be repeats. 

If Robert is going to the top of the order again, he needs to put Come Drink With Me on one more time.

I saw that Heavy Metal will show up on Grindhouse Friday sometime in the future and I know he has the licenses for most of the Re-Animator movies.

I'm trying to figure out why he doesn't have more of his own stuff on like a Machete double feature, but I guess it has something to do with studio licensing fees or something.  You'd think that his buddies like QT and Eli Roth would be chomping at the bit to put their catalogues on El Rey.

There are a ton of SB movies out there that they could put on which are outstanding oldschool flicks. I think the issue is that there aren't English dubs for a lot of them, or the ones that are out are of poor quality.

As for Tarantino and Rodriguez's own movies, IFC shows them all the time so maybe they have the broadcast rights.

So weird watching Shaft where everyone is cussing away and not a single syllable gets bleeped.

My mom has a great story about her and dad at a party with Richard Roundtree right after "Shaft" dropped, where someone passed out what they called the "Alice B Toklas brownies." Mom still talks about those brownies 40+ years later.

So weird watching Shaft where everyone is cussing away and not a single syllable gets bleeped.

My mom has a great story about her and dad at a party with Richard Roundtree right after "Shaft" dropped, where someone passed out what they called the "Alice B Toklas brownies." Mom still talks about those brownies 40+ years later.

Weird.  I was this close to dropping "Alice B Toklas" brownies into Batista Fashion watch last week.  But I thought it would reach about a 9 on the Blain Capatch obscure punch-line level.

• Like 1

Carpenterror next Saturday: The Fog, Escape from New York, and Assault on Precinct 13 (which I haven't seen in ages) along with The Director's Chair with Rodriguez interviewing Carpenter. Also, From Beyond on Thursday!

YES!

And there is not enough love for the Night of the Comet / Heavy Metal double feature last night.  I thought they were going to censor out the cartoon boobs but there they were.

Carpenterror next Saturday: The Fog, Escape from New York, and Assault on Precinct 13 (which I haven't seen in ages) along with The Director's Chair with Rodriguez interviewing Carpenter. Also, From Beyond on Thursday!

YES!

And there is not enough love for the Night of the Comet / Heavy Metal double feature last night. I thought they were going to censor out the cartoon boobs but there they were.

IFC and Sundance don't censor nudity, I assume this channel will follow the same path.

No cable channel actually NEEDS to censor anything, as El Rey is proving.  Once they get into the usual financial difficulties of a start-up, they'll start getting more conservative

They blurred breasts on Rolling Thunder so it's not like they are going full-on. I presume cartoon titties are a specific line in the sand. 

And yes, lots of Barbie Crampton on display in that one... S&M style even. I grew up watching those movies and after finding out she was a soap-opera actress after the fact I had a good laugh.

It's the beginning of the end, you fuckers. Next up LAW AND ORDER reruns!

NO MORE FUN OF ANY KIND!!!

I only read this thread b/c of your rage replies. Thank you.

Forum ‹ In Depth DISH Support ‹ DISH Programming Support

Re: El Rey Network - Request for Service

Postby Ray C. » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:27 am

I submitted a program request form to our programming department on your behalf for this network. Thanks.

Postby Ray C. » Mon March 10, 2014 11:14 am

I submitted a program request form to our programming department on your behalf for this network. Thanks.

Postby Ray C. » Tues March 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Postby Ray C. » Mon April 21, 2014 12:13 am

Postby Ray C. » Thu May 1, 2014 3:27 pm

fuckers.

• Like 1

From Beyond will be on Grindhouse Friday this week, so hopefully since it is on late it will be uncensored.

This Saturday appears to be John Carpenter Day.  The Fog, Assault from Precinct 13, and Escape From New York will be on marathon repeat.  There will also be a Director's Chair segment.

Looking further into the schedule, mother fucking TRAINSPOTTING~! will be on at 10PM on Sunday night.

Next Thursday looks to be Part 2 of the Gordon Liu Comedy Kung Fu tour de force:  Return to the 36th Chamber (ROOFTOP KUNG FU, BITCHES~!) and Disciples of the 36th Chamber will be on.