DVDVR Message Board

I have El Rey with my Comcast On Demand but only for watching From Dusk Til Dawn.  So that is a start at least, not full force in my area but hopefully it spreads.  I need my kung fu, blaxploitation, and Hammer horror film fix!

El Rey showed Outland uncut last night complete with Sean Connery saying "Fuck it" before knocking Peter Boyle the hell out, so that puts the "will they or won't they edt this?" stuff to rest.

I was lax in announcing the line up for last Thursday.  I was stoked to be able to watch Shaolin Mantis for the first time in years.  Five Fingers of Death was on last Friday for Grindhouse Theater and it is still as awesome as it ever was.

The Kung-Fu newbie should really tune in this Thursday because THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN VS THE FLYING MOTHER FUCKING GUILLOTINE staring Jimmy Wang Yu is the second half of your Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Theater!  The first half will be The Dragon Missile; an oft forgotten Shaw Brothers gem featuring Lieh Lo from Five Fingers of Death and directed by Meng Hua Ho.  The Dragon Missile was one of the last Wu Shu esque features from Shaw before the Venom Mob "realism" era of Chang Cheh kicked in.

Some mat will recognize the female lead from The Dragon Missile, Terry Liu, as Princess Dragon Mon from The Super Inframan.  Here's hoping that El Rey's purchase of titles from the SB catalogue included The Super Inframan.

Posted this in the soccer thread- they're showing the Mexican league in English but holy fuck, their announcer is brutally bad. Obnoxious, OTT, trying waaaaaaaay too hard.

Posted this in the soccer thread- they're showing the Mexican league in English but holy fuck, their announcer is brutally bad. Obnoxious, OTT, trying waaaaaaaay too hard.

Yeah, sports and sports entertainment is going to be problematic.  I hate the Mexican League announcer and I am pretty sure I will continue to hate shitty AAA when Lucha finally arrives to El Rey.

I was talking about new peeps in general, Curt.  Sorry if it seemed like I singled you out. :(

Starsky & Hutch has been this network on for two weeks now and no sign of the ultra corny yet awesome vampire episode with John Saxon.  I am bummed.

I don't think they've shown the two-parter of S&H in Vegas chasing down the serial killer yet, either.

El Rey showed Outland uncut last night complete with Sean Connery saying "Fuck it" before knocking Peter Boyle the hell out, so that puts the "will they or won't they edt this?" stuff to rest.

I was lax in announcing the line up for last Thursday.  I was stoked to be able to watch Shaolin Mantis for the first time in years.  Five Fingers of Death was on last Friday for Grindhouse Theater and it is still as awesome as it ever was.

The Kung-Fu newbie should really tune in this Thursday because THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN VS THE FLYING MOTHER FUCKING GUILLOTINE staring Jimmy Wang Yu is the second half of your Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Theater!  The first half will be The Dragon Missile; an oft forgotten Shaw Brothers gem featuring Lieh Lo from Five Fingers of Death and directed by Meng Hua Ho.  The Dragon Missile was one of the last Wu Shu esque features from Shaw before the Venom Mob "realism" era of Chang Cheh kicked in.

Some mat will recognize the female lead from The Dragon Missile, Terry Liu, as Princess Dragon Mon from The Super Inframan.  Here's hoping that El Rey's purchase of titles from the SB catalogue included The Super Inframan.

Thanks for talking about these.  I have a backlog of movies on the DVR that I need to get through from El Rey.  I'm definitely a kung fu newbie, but it's been amazing so far.  Still need to get through Gordon Liu's movies, but "Invincible Pole Fighter" and "Dirty Ho"  were ungodly awesome.  Never knew you could headbutt a guy's teeth out of his mouth and the action with the pole was mesmerizing.  And if I ever do a wine tasting I'm doing it like "Dirty Ho".  So wacky and so much fun.  If people don't dig the action the comedy makes it more accessible for them.

"The 36th Chamber" has had lots of love, am saving that for one of the last ones to watch.  Same for "Five Fingers of Death".  We're just spoiled by these movies now, and it's fucking cool that my fiancee and I can watch these and love it.

I would love for more pimping of movies on the network.  It's one thing to see it on the listing, it's another if it's known that it's a movie that needs to be seen.  As it is there's so much goodness and so little time for me.  I could do without the same commercials airing all the time for a length of time.  A 3-hour movie ends up feeling much shorter because there's long stretches of commercials to fast forward through.

EDIT:  Saw what was on the DVR.  I have "36th Chamber of Shaolin", "Five Fingers of Death", most of "Avenging Eagle", "Shaolin Mantis", and "Dragon Missile".  Seeing this makes me so excited to watch them.  Haven't seen any movies from Robert Rodriguez, but for this he is a king among men.

Well, they are gonna be showing all of his films on there (already showed El Mariachi) more than likely so you will get the chance now. From Dusk Til Dawn, Desperado and Planet Terror are priceless. 

Goddamn, that just made me think of what they might put on during October. *drool*

Yeah I am totally tuning in Thursday. I might be a 'newbie' BUT I have seen Master of the Flying Guillotine (was just Flying Guillotine the original title so that's why they are using it?), and am really looking forward to another watch.

They're two different unrelated movies. It's common for Hong Kong movies to piggyback off of successful releases. There is also Flying Guillotine 2 which isn't tied into either movie.

I would love for more pimping of movies on the network. It's one thing to see it on the listing, it's another if it's known that it's a movie that needs to be seen. As it is there's so much goodness and so little time for me.

If it's Shaw Bros, it's probably worth watching. They were known as the kings of kung fu for good reason. Anything directed by Chang Cheh, Gordon Liu, or Lau Kar Leung is usually top notch.

While there's a hd El Rey on Time Warner, If you try to watch it it says it isn't available at this time.

It's been doing this since the channel started.

So nobody really gets it in HD yet.

Flying Guillotine is starting right now

Jesus, Lighting Fists of Shaolin aka Opium & The Kung Fu Master is on this Thursday.  Talk about never been on TV before.  Makes me hopeful that El Rey will eventually show Ten Tigers From Kwangtung.

Sword of Swords with the legendary Lam Ka-Sing is the second movie.

And no, Heroic Trio hasn't been on yet.  I am shocked by that.

Miramax has the US rights for Heroic Trio and they licensed their Hong Kong movies to Starz and Netflix. It used to be on instant Netflix but was taken out of rotation. I seem to recall seeing it on Starz International's lineup a few months ago. Miramax had the annoying habit of editing movies for the US versions, not sure offhand what (if anything) was changed for Heroic Trio.

I never check the non-HD channels so thanks to this thread I found it.  I was just checking the listings and HOLY SHIT! they are playing The 36th Chamber (Master Killer), Return to the 36th Chamber, Crippled Avengers and fucking Executioners from Shaolin on Saturday.  Some of the best Shaw Bros flicks ever.  36th Chamber is an absolute classic.  And if you haven't seen it you have to catch Executioners, it has one of the best villains ever, Pai Mei (The guy Gordon Liu played in Kill Bill).  I have all those on DVD and I'm still hyped just to see them played on TV.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...