DVDVR Message Board

This is the greatest thing in my cable line-up right now. Xfinity, mother fuckers!

Rodriguez got the licenses for the entire Shaw Brothers Catalogue. 

Every Thursday night from 6PM - 11PM is the fucking Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Theater!

Come Drink With Me and Crippled Avengers was on last night and next week will feature Kid Wth The Golden Arm and Five Element Ninja.

The channel is supposed to also feature un-cut 70's exploitation / blaxploitation movies like Dolemite and Rolling Thunder on Grindhouse Fridays.

Rodriguez is making a series out of the first Fron Dusk Til' Dawn movies that fleshes out the backstories of the Gecko Brothers and addresses the mystery of how an Aztec pyramid full of vampires got turned into a strip club.

Grindhouse movies, classic sci-horror, 70's kung fu epics.  Seriously.  It is a channel made especially for me.

If I check my Xfinity OnDemand queue for the television networks and find that El Rey has a slot, I may fucking weep.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was stoked to hear that Lucha would be in the regular programming until I heard it was AAA.  Damn.

Well I also just realized that it doesn't appear to be in HD which means I will never ever watch it

• Like 1

Yeah, I was stoked to hear that Lucha would be in the regular programming until I heard it was AAA.  Damn.

Well I also just realized that it doesn't appear to be in HD which means I will never ever watch it

Baby steps.  Perhaps HD will come later. 

On what other channel could you potentially watch The Street Fighter, Day of the Dead, King Boxer, and Switchblade Sisters in the same week?  It is like fucking mana.

I forget I have ESPN Classic too, but I blame Xfinity for being dumb and putting all of the sports channels in the 99999999 block behind the fucking international packages.

Oh shit, son.   The entire Street Fighter trilogy is scheduled for this Sunday from 4PM to 10PM EST. 

El Rey really does depose Cloo, Chiller, and FearNET as the single greatest cable network on television..

One of the funniest things to me in 21st century pop culture is , for lack of a better word, HD snobbery.

I have friends who hemmed and hawed about getting it, asking what the big deal was, and now they will skip shows they know themselves they would like, if they cant watch them in HD.

Whist I tend to be an HD snob to a degree (if the channel has an HD feed, that's what its on), its more to me that "I paid for an HDTV and the FiOS stuff, I'm damn sure gonna get the picture out of it."

That said, I will watch stuff in the SD feeds if that's the only thing.  Shit, Disney Jr is only in SD on FiOS and the girl watches that all the time.

I'm more annoyed by people like my Father-in-law that has an expensive HDTV, FiOS, and has no idea where the HD feeds are and watches everything in SD stretched.

• Like 2

I'm more annoyed by people like my Father-in-law that has an expensive HDTV, FiOS, and has no idea where the HD feeds are and watches everything in SD stretched.

My Dad is the same way, they have HD cable and an HDTV, but 90% of the time watch SD cause they are only used to channels in the 1-100 range...

That and he won't let me turn off the smooth motion effect on his HDTV that makes everything look like a damn soap opera. I can't stand that.

• Like 1

Soaps were shot in higher resolution than most other stuff.  Videotape was cheaper than film, so it developed a negative connotation.

What you can't stand is how it actually looked on set, which is what you're seeing.  Albeit color corrected, etc.

I have been watching Rolling Thunder all night (at least after Smackdown). Aside from the fucking Griselda Blanco telenovela commercials which are infuriatingly constant I LOVE this channel. Heard the From Dusk Til Dawn show is shitty but really... I don't care. Just give me more of everything else they are pimping/showing

Awaiting my Godzilla marathon