DVDVR Message Board

Ligerbusa

As Meltzer has pointed out on various Dwayne Johnson movies, studios only get about 25% of the Chinese profit.  By "China may have bought a sequel" I assume you mean that Chinese companies will bankroll it, ala the latest Mission Impossible.

EDIT: Also, China's economy sorta collapsed over the weekend, so not sure how much money they'll have to invest in the near-term.

No, I meant Paramount may push forward after the big opening in China but I'm sure they'd love a little help if someone from China wants to buy it.

I doubt they'd even attempt it but I'd like to see a sequel do something on a smaller scale.

• 4 months later...

Since Ligerbusa posted that I started to wonder a bit.  The story apparently is that the rights of the franchise revert to Cameron in 2019 due to copyright law.  My thought was, if the rights went back to Cameron and he just never did anything with them, at least that would prevent more awful cinematic reboots like Salvation and Genisys.  However, since Cameron claimed he loved Genisys...would he let other filmmakers to take more stabs at the property again?

He also spoke highly of Salvation. His judgement is suspect.

He also wears awful looking silk shirts. Like...ones from 1994 or so something, judging from the one he wore in the Genisys video.

And once again, making your movie about the journey, instead of the destination, building for something to happen over 3 movies doesn't work. Who has ever said, "You know, I don't want to see how this ends, I just want to see these guys meander along over the course of three movies." Although, I don't think anyone making these movies had any idea how to end it.

That may be the thing I hate most about movies now, the whole not explaining anything because all will be revealed at some point, and that point never comes.

Paradoxically, I think both those things are true.

Little things are beaten onto the ground (or over your head) instead of letting the audience figure shit out themselves. But conclusions no longer exist in blockbuster filmmaking, just hooks for the next film.

Even as recently as Spider-man 2, out had a fucking ending. Sure, a few seeds were planted for future movies, but there was no major dangling plot points that needed resolved.

It's not inherently a bad thing (Lord of the Rings is probably the most obvious explanation for why it's this way now, and they are, while deeply flawed, still good movies. Of course, they also had a reason to be open ended.) but it often is.

Why the fuck would you write a new Terminator movie as chapter one of a trilogy? Resolve shit goddamnit. The Terminator never needed a sequel. T2 was fucking great anyway. T2 not only didn't need a sequel, it pretty much fucking slammed the door shut on the very idea. We've still gotten three.

Look at all the never going to be resolved bullshit in the Amazing Spider-man movies. Did anyone give a single solitary shit about the "what really happened to Peter's parents" subplot? Of course not.

(All this said, I still more or less liked, or at least didn't dislike, Genesis. But fuck that alternate spelling bullshit.)

• Like 1

He also spoke highly of Salvation. His judgement is suspect.

I don't remember him saying anything good about Salvation, just that he gave McG some pointers.

I wonder if the 3D conversion of T2 could rekindle Cameron's interest in making another movie? I'm not holding out hope, I'm kind of used to a Terminator movie coming out every few years and going nowhere.

Even as recently as Spider-man 2, out had a fucking ending. Sure, a few seeds were planted for future movies, but there was no major dangling plot points that needed resolved.

Look at all the never going to be resolved bullshit in the Amazing Spider-man movies. Did anyone give a single solitary shit about the "what really happened to Peter's parents" subplot? Of course not.

i'm still waiting for Spider-Man to find Uncle Ben's killer. he spent like half an hour looking in the first film, but then it's never mentioned in the sequel.

• 1 year later...

James Cameron is there to sign (some) checks. That's probably as far as his responsibilities go as Producer. If you were counting on James having some role in this franchise to right the ship, I want to point out two things:

1) This is the man that went from making a sequel to Avatar to that franchise suddenly becoming 5 or 6 movies in the series, none of which we'll ever see because it will keep getting delayed until James Cameron realizes again that he doesn't like working as a director and he prefers to spend his time doing whatever the fuck it is that he's doing in between movies. BTW, that thing will likely be spending time in submarines.

2) ...

At the very least, would you trust a man who wears a silk shirt? Terminator 6 could be a bollywood style musical for all we know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tim Miller will direct the next Terminator, he and James Cameron put together the story and Cameron is producing. Linda Hamilton and Arnold will return and it will star an 18 year old female lead.

Writers room included David Goyer and Josh Friedman. They're planning a trilogy because of course they are.