DVDVR Message Board

Ligerbusa

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The trailer was disappointing, not even bad, really. It just did nothing to really excite me for the movie.

I think ultimately that's what I'm really feeling - disappointment. That's on me though for even getting my hopes up. I think there was this feeling that with Linda Hamilton returning that maybe this would be better, but it's just...man...the new Terminator isn't really cool or anything. Liquid metal over a terminator frame to make this Gemini Terminator is less cool than the T-X. The woman who played the T-X looked scarier and more threatening than this guy too.

If anything, I guess there's still more to learn, like where's John Connor, why is this new girl so important, how is the T-800 in this movie, etc. Even still, what they showed didn't look good, mainly the new Terminator and the CG for that midair plane crash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

This is exactly why I think the movie will be just as shitty as Genisys. Why should I believe what James Cameron is saying this time when he's saying pretty similar shit to what he said about Genisys?

And when you have to make a video from the people involved in the movie trying to convince you that the movie is good, chances are it's a piece of shit.

You know who doesn't have to put out videos like this? People who make good movies.

This is why I didn't buy people saying that Paramount better do something with the franchise before the rights reverted back to Cameron some years back. How does that change the plan of "we're going to keep putting out Terminator movies until we get it right" as showcased by this trailer?

I just feel like the previous movies lied to us about John Connor. It doesn't seem like he was ever all that important now that we have this new girl to save. 

When Salvation came out, I was excited because I felt like the Future War was the last place they could go for the franchise and actually do something fresh and different. And that failed. Now it feels like we're still retreading old ground, and that John Connor was never all that much important of a leader. 

Think about the first movie. The twist is that Skynet in attempting to prevent the birth of John Connor unintentionally caused their own doom. That puts forth the notion that time is a circular loop. In other words, Skynet's downfall is destined and inevitable and they can't stop it. Could a computer become aware of this or figure out some sort of way to break a time paradox? Or has time changed now?

It's a time loop, but in each case, something changes each time through and the next time through is slightly different, we only see ONE trip at a time through the POV of the main character.  In T1, John becomes the leader of the resistance after Judgement Day (they never say when he was born though), Skynet attempts to stop that, creating a Hitler Paradox in the process and changing it's own origin, as the Resistance sends Reese through after, and he ends up fathering John (it's never stated he fathered the John that sent him back), and the T-800 is destroyed, but the parts and processor remain, and that's turned into Skynet.  In T2, Skynet tries to kill John instead, and the actions of John, Sarah, Dyson, and the T-800 change the date of Judgement Day, but it still happens (In both the aborted timeline and now in this timeline of Dark Fate).  It could be that stopping the original Skynet changed the Resistance Leader from John to whoever the Macanator and Sarah are protecting now (Given Sarah's "I was her" line, it could be that Natalia Reyes' character is gonna bear the new Resistance Leader in the new timeline).  

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

And when you have to make a video from the people involved in the movie trying to convince you that the movie is good, chances are it's a piece of shit.

Or it's just standard marketing content most major movies do nowadays.

I'm sure this thing will suck. But I'm not going to put my baggage with the franchise onto a little bit of marketing. 

An unthreatening looking Terminator is actually kinda the original idea before Arnold wanted the villain role, though. Someone that blends in with people and then terminates them unprepared.

31 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hot take -- Endgame wasn't that great either. 

A take you're entitled to. I guess I'd suggest it did a fine job largely giving fans of that franchise something satisfying. As opposed to any Terminator post-T2. Which was the distinction I was attempting to make in contrasting the two. 

Point is, James Cameron featurettes (wow, my spellcheck hates that) are reflective of nothing! 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2014 at 4:38 PM, EVA said:

I guess that means Boyega booked Star Wars. Good for him. That's a much better deal than doing another dud attempt at resurrecting the Terminator franchise that will just get junked after one movie so that somebody else can reboot it again in another 5 years.

I just want to give EVA credit for not only getting the predictable part of this right, but even nailing down the time frame accurately.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If this is a big success, a year after bringing Jamie Lee Curtis back to Halloween was a bit success, I expect Disney to say "forget that Alien Covenant sequel, let's find out if Sigourney Weaver wants to pretend Alien 3 and Resurrection never happened..."

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

If this is a big success, a year after bringing Jamie Lee Curtis back to Halloween was a bit success, I expect Disney to say "forget that Alien Covenant sequel, let's find out if Sigourney Weaver wants to pretend Alien 3 and Resurrection never happened..."

She did and something was being worked on until it wasn't.

If you were going to bring Sigourney back to an old franchise, wouldn't it be Ghostbusters though? Much bigger hit.