DVDVR Message Board

Ligerbusa

I feel like I probably said this a while back in this thread, but the biggest mistake all these fan-fiction Terminator sequels have made is putting all the emphasis on the time travel stuff, which was NEVER the strength of Cameron's movies, nor even really the emphasis. All the time travel mumbo jumbo was just the window dressing Cameron used to get us to the point where badass robots could chase people around.

• Like 2

I can only chalk it up to Arnold being awesome. Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke both fucking sucked. They are terrible actors.

When they first announced Emilia Clarke was the lead, I immediately thought she should've waited at least a few more years before taking on a giant role. I mean I think she is great as Daenerys, but it's not like it requires her to do a whole heck of a lot. I've seen her do some stage acting (Breakfast at Tiffany's IIRC). Oooof.

She is a tad bit limited.

I'm pretty sure me and every other single, straight guy in the theater was not paying attention to her acting talent when she was on screen.

"Did I mention we're all straight? Oh wait..I did. Because we are. Yep."

The film is going to have a lower opening box office weekend than any film in the franchise other than the first one.  Should be funny to see how Skydance and Paramount try to spin it.  Literally, in fact, probably one of the worst marketing campaigns for a major blockbuster release like this in recent memory

I thought it was #3 of the 5 films. Definitely better than the last two.

Nope, at this rate, both Salvation and Rise of the Machines opened higher.  So did Judgement Day, which came out 24 years ago.

I think Genisys even doing the business it has is a testament to the goodwill fans of the franchise have for Arnold. I'm curious to see if Paramount sticks their neck out with sequels just to squeeze whatever they can out of Terminator before Cameron gets the rights back.

I thought it was #3 of the 5 films. Definitely better than the last two.

Nope, at this rate, both Salvation and Rise of the Machines opened higher.  Probably even Judgement Day, which came out 24 years ago.

I think he meant in terms of how good the film was, not how much money it made.

Actually, the movie's novelization said that Sarah and John searched around the factory and scooped up every bit of Terminator metal they could find, and tossed it all into the molten iron. Specifically to prevent anything from the future being found by anyone from the present. I suppose it got cut out of the movie for pacing reasons, they'd had the big emotional climax and didn't want to hang around for an extended epilogue.

How amazing would it have been to see Sarah and John going around with a push-broom after all that emotional stuff?

• Like 2

I didn't hate it.

I'm curious enough to want to see another one (that hopefully answers the fucking plot points of "how? why?" from this one.)

It doesn't hold up well compared to the original or T2 (but not much does is the sci-fi action world) but it's definitely better than the last two movies.

Of course, syphilises is better than T3...

She's clearly the best part of that movie, Arnold's superstar status be damned.

With fear of Sigourney Weaver kicking my ass, it's the best performance by a woman in an action film I've ever seen.

ok, i loved this movie.

i don't understand the bad critic scores/audience reviews/whatever. solid action, good one liners, great callbacks to the original 2 films, and the story was engaging. absolutely no complaints here, and i will be buying it when it hits blu-ray (and i don't buy very many movies).

The plot felt more like what was happening in The Sarah Connor Chronicles than any of the previous movies, but without nearly as much time to delve into the implications of

Shifting timelines, stopping the root cause of Skynet only to have it still come from somewhere else at some other time, fluid history, moving forward in time to fight Skynet...

• 1 month later...

As Meltzer has pointed out on various Dwayne Johnson movies, studios only get about 25% of the Chinese profit.  By "China may have bought a sequel" I assume you mean that Chinese companies will bankroll it, ala the latest Mission Impossible.

EDIT: Also, China's economy sorta collapsed over the weekend, so not sure how much money they'll have to invest in the near-term.